Speculation: Who signs first and for how much? Q. Hughes, B. Tkachuk, Pettersson, Kaprizov, Dahlin

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

First deal to get done?

• Total voters

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
two big five year deals is the best case scenario for him i'd think

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
pettersson is waiting on other teams who are waiting with offer sheets on the canucks to sign hughes.
sounds reasonable.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I didn't say they weren't in different positions and you're still not acknowledging the reality that every GM can see the writing on the wall, same as you. Salary cap is a problem before or after Hughes signs.

You've provided no reasoning to justify the conspiracy theory that another GM wants Pettersson, but only if Hughes signs first.

If Benning signs Hughes to 7 x 8.3 million, then Pettersson signs an offer sheet with Anaheim for 7 x $10 million, Benning isn't in a position to match and can't comfortably get to a position to match. He'd have to give away value and do it quickly.

If Benning signs Pettersson first, there is no such issue.

So what other general managers can see is that Benning may have a difficult problem-but only if he signs Hughes first.

I don't understand wnohy you're calling it a conspiracy theory, nor why you're saying a general manager would only want Pettersson if Hughes signed first. Neither makes any sense. It only takes one general manager, not in concert with anybody else, to decide to take a try at getting Pettersson. While pretty much any GM would be happy to have Pettersson, the opportunity to get him only comes if Benning leaves himself vulnerable by signing Hughes first.

If you still won't acknowledge this, which is really simple, you'll get the last word.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If Benning signs Hughes to 7 x 8.3 million, then Pettersson signs an offer sheet with Anaheim for 7 x $10 million, Benning isn't in a position to match and can't comfortably get to a position to match. He'd have to give away value and do it quickly.

If Benning signs Pettersson first, there is no such issue.

So what other general managers can see is that Benning may have a difficult problem-but only if he signs Hughes first.

I don't understand wnohy you're calling it a conspiracy theory, nor why you're saying a general manager would only want Pettersson if Hughes signed first. Neither makes any sense. It only takes one general manager, not in concert with anybody else, to decide to take a try at getting Pettersson. While pretty much any GM would be happy to have Pettersson, the opportunity to get him only comes if Benning leaves himself vulnerable by signing Hughes first.

If you still won't acknowledge this, which is really simple, you'll get the last word.

Again, a manifesto that doesn't address the issue. The conspiracy theory is that another gm and owner is willing to fork over 10s of millions and 1st round picks. HOWEVER, unlike almost every offer sheet offered before this one they will ONLY offer it if Hughes happens to sign first.

This is silly, and it treats real life like a video game.

That being said...

"If Benning signs Pettersson first, there is no such issue"

Yes I agree that if Pettersson signs a contract then the risk of him signing an offer sheet is no longer an issue.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
if he is being lowballed by the Wild, i don't belive he's been offered 5x$9, the best scenario for him is to hit UFA as soon as possible.
$9m/ year is by no means lowballing. you may be the only human being on the face of the earth right now that would feel sorry for him making $9m.

ah i misread that a little. Fine, you don't believe it. I really hope they pulled that offer after all this and he ends up with significantly less, myself.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
$9m/ year is by no means lowballing. you may be the only human being on the face of the earth right now that would feel sorry for him making $9m.
i wrote that i don't believe he has been offered 5x$9. What are you talking about?
As soon as possible might not be as fast as Kaprizov would want.
Pretty easy. They just should compromise on the money he gets.

Last edited:

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
there's a 8yrs/64M on the table a the moment but the Tkachuk clan want a 4yrs deal (UFA-1) to see what direction Melnyk will take with the team in the upcoming years

I think this is the best situation for both sides. Ottawa doesn't end up with an albatross contract and Brady's play and healthy will determine the value of his next deal. Both sides bet on themselves here. What's going to keep Brady in Ottawa is going to be his desire to play there. It's obvious from how he's approaching this that money's not enough of an incentive, Ottawa needs to show that the front office is bought-in to win.

And if money is really Brady's main motivator, then you know you can move him for value once he's signed and a 4-year contract gives the Sens that value to move it, at worst. The one thing I wouldn't do is award him the C, that needs to go to a player who wants to be in Ottawa.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Damn, the field was wrong with this one.

I was certain Tkachuk would get it done firdt, guess not. I’m almost leaning towards one of the Nucks players now or Dahlin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad