Who should the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall in the 2024 NHL Entry Draft?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do the Chicago Blackhawks select 2nd overall?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I like Levshunov's tools for the most part. A lot to like, but I think there is a scenario where he's like a 5D like a below average player and I think other guys have better floor and ceiling combos.

I mean, there's a scenario in which any highly-touted prospect busts and becomes a replaceable player.

Levshunov has excelled since coming to N.A.. He has everything you look for in an impact defensemen in the game today. There's no reason to think he's going to be a 5D.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
At least we aren’t going after Lindstrom. That’s the one that’ll be a straight up mistake.
If you take the injuries out of the equation, he's a better pick than Lev.

But at the end of the day, I'd rather have the guy that actually plays more games.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I mean, there's a scenario in which any highly-touted prospect busts and becomes a replaceable player.

Levshunov has excelled since coming to N.A.. He has everything you look for in an impact defensemen in the game today. There's no reason to think he's going to be a 5D.
I don’t think he has everything you look for, and I don’t think he projects as a 1 or a high end 2 at the NHL level. He has the potential to be, but I don’t project that level.

For example; I just think Demidov, Buium, Catton have similar ceilings and just better floors due to their IQ.

Reactions: Darkstar

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
He doesn’t check the thinking box for me. Also the compete is inconsistent. He’s rarely put it all together. I haven’t liked his puck game under pressure.

Literally the only place I see concerns about Levshunov's hockey sense is on this board. Peters, Pronman and Wheeler don't share the skepticism.

As far as consistency, he was a freshman D, in his second year in N.A. And if an inconsistent Levshunov gets you 35 points in 38, just imagine if he improves, as you'd anticipate he will.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Literally the only place I see concerns about Levshunov's hockey sense is on this board. Peters, Pronman and Wheeler don't share the skepticism.
It's a real thing.

There are moments when you watch him play where you can see the gears in his head grind to a halt, and then he'll just shovel the puck off somewhere random.

It's a common enough occurence that I don't see a top pairing guy either.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
On top the controller disconnected moments, Levshunov also has the lamest highlight package Ive ever seen for a top prospect.

Doesn't carry the puck much on zone entries. No clips of him manipulating oppenents with pace and/or creativity. Since he doesn't have much creativity and skill he can't hold onto the puck for long since he gets stripped of it by forecheckers if he tries to make moves. Average slapshot/wristshot.

Most of his offense comes from quick passes in transition and whipping a low shot on goal fron the point and either scoring through a screen or creating a rebound. Projectable? Sure, but he needs to have much more in his arsenal to score at the rate of a 1D.

Yes he scored at a very impressive clip this season and you would assume he's only going to improve upon that. But same things were said of Matthew Wood last year...

Im obviously very harsh on him, but we need a STAR and I don't see how he has the tools to ever become that.

Reactions: Pez68 and Larmer83

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
On top the controller disconnected moments, Levshunov also has the lamest highlight package Ive ever seen for a top prospect.

Doesn't carry the puck much on zone entries. No clips of him manipulating oppenents with pace and/or creativity. Since he doesn't have much creativity and skill he can't hold onto the puck for long since he gets stripped of it by forecheckers if he tries to make moves. Average slapshot/wristshot.

Most of his offense comes from quick passes in transition and whipping a low shot on goal fron the point and either scoring through a screen or creating a rebound. Projectable? Sure, but he needs to have much more in his arsenal to score at the rate of a 1D.

Yes he scored at a very impressive clip this season and you would assume he's only going to improve upon that. But same things were said of Matthew Wood last year...

Im obviously very harsh on him, but we need a STAR and I don't see how he has the tools to ever become that.
The problem with needing a star in this draft is there aren’t guarantees after Celebrini. Every player from 2-12 has their warts, so to say Lev has major issues while other guys have star potential is wrong.

If you took this draft and combined it with the 2023 draft, Celebrini might be the only guy to crack the top 10.

Reactions: SnapVirus

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
The problem with needing a star in this draft is there aren’t guarantees after Celebrini. Every player from 2-12 has their warts, so to say Lev has major issues while other guys have star potential is wrong.

If you took this draft and combined it with the 2023 draft, Celebrini might be the only guy to crack the top 10.
It feels like in a draft of uncertainty (beyond Celebrini), Levshunov is a safe pick.

And that's probably what the Blackhawks see. A guy that they know will have a long NHL career.

But I don't think it's an exciting swing for upside.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

As far as consistency, he was a freshman D, in his second year in N.A. And if an inconsistent Levshunov gets you 35 points in 38, just imagine if he improves, as you'd anticipate he will.
Seems like I disagree with them then.

Reactions: Pez68

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
It feels like in a draft of uncertainty (beyond Celebrini), Levshunov is a safe pick.

And that's probably what the Blackhawks see. A guy that they know will have a long NHL career.

But I don't think it's an exciting swing for upside.
Hopefully they go for the exciting swing on wherever that second first ends up being.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hopefully they go for the exciting swing on wherever that second first ends up being.
I think that's likely.

They kind of did that with Rinzel. They had some more certainty with Nazar and Korchinski, so that freed them up to go for someone much more raw.

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I watched a lot of Big 10 last season due to Nazar, Slaggert, Moore, and Rinzel. Throw in the other Big 10 teams and the post season and it's at the dozen games mark watching MSU. I'm pretty sure @TLEH and @ello are in the same boat but they can speak for themselves.

All dmen get beat, it's what they do after that and @ello and his description of "controller disconnected moments" after Levshunov gets beat is accurate. His play without the puck in his own zone is some what Korchinski like.

I can't see Levshunov's frequency of activation on offense playing well in the NHL. That's going to be thottled down.

Grant McClegg(Sp?) brought the video receipts and it was posted on this forum. I don't know this guy McClegg and don't care but he was spot on with his assesment save for some stupid question about Levshunov's age. As for Pronman, I was shocked at his very high praise for Levsunov's hockey IQ.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
In other news, Buium beat the combine field on the bar with 16 pull ups, Bedard had 14 last year. Iginla/Lindstrom lived up to expectations with high marks all over. Also, this Eric Emery kid is a beast too.

Really hope Levshunov isn't the pick, don't get it at all. Fine prospect, but not ahead of his field at ****ing anything and we're talking 2nd overall here.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
It's a real thing.

There are moments when you watch him play where you can see the gears in his head grind to a halt, and then he'll just shovel the puck off somewhere random.

It's a common enough occurence that I don't see a top pairing guy either.
Can we bring receipts from the game reports on Demidov then? Nearly every game: careless with puck, trying too much, turnovers abound.

They all have knocks.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Can we bring receipts from the game reports on Demidov then? Nearly every game: careless with puck, trying too much, turnovers abound.

They all have knocks.
You're the only one making this a Demidov vs Levshunov debate.

Demidov's weaknesses don't erase Levshunov's. Not sure what you're trying to prove.

Reactions: hawksrule

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

They all have knocks.
Demidov thinks the game at an elite level. Combine that with the shot and the puck skills and I’m a lot more confident in the ability to translate to the next level. When you can’t think you can’t play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad