Who should be the next head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Seems like they maybe view this next coach as an experienced stopgap (transition to Vogelhuber afterwards?) rather than the guy that will take them all the way.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Dear Hedger,

Which is it? Was he excited to join? Did he not like how far away the CBJ were from competing? Was ownership not willing to match money/term he wanted?

We would like to know.

Sign,
All of us CBJ fans
All 3 of those could be true. He can be excited to join but if he wants 5 years to truly build a team and they only want to give him 3 that could cause an issue.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Here's my question...if there was a fundamental difference between FO and McClellan on the current state of the team how did it get to final negotiations for a release of contract let alone the final 3? Like I said Hedger is just stirring up shit again like he did with Necas, original 3 candidates, ect.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
i understand the reality of the situation and how ownership doesn't want to be on the hook for paying a bunch of salaries or 'overpaying' a coach, but:

any sports owner who won't cut a $10m check on the spot to solve the biggest issue keeping the team from winning is an enormous loser in my book

Reactions: GoJackets1

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
i understand the reality of the situation and how ownership doesn't want to be on the hook for paying a bunch of salaries or 'overpaying' a coach, but:

any sports owner who won't cut a $10m check on the spot to solve the biggest issue keeping the team from winning is an enormous loser in my book
Honestly something tells me Hedger's "source" doesn't know what the f*** is going on. I'll side with Portzline for now because the Kings playing hardball trying to make Columbus eat their contract sounds ALOT more reasonable and considering you have to think the base contract is 4mil, the buyout could be up to 5.5, Babcock is probably $2 mil per year (assuming 50% buyout), and Pascals's that's more heading into the 12mil or so for one year of a team that is probably gonna be bottom 5...

Reactions: Fred Glover

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Does this mean McLellan was #1 option if money/term wasn't an issue, or do we think Don had already opened negotiations with Wild-Evanson and/or Oilers-Woodcroft as well?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I wonder if "couldn't come to terms" might have something to do with... term. As in length of contract. Maybe it's not dollars but years that's the hangup. If McLellan wants four or five years and the Jackets aren't willing to commit to that.

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007

I don’t think the biggest thing keeping this team from winning is coaching.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Evason was my choice over the koala, anyway. But this is infuriating.
Not trying to be a jerk seriously what is it about Evason that make you think he is what the CBJ needs. He was only an NHL coach 1 time and not for very long. I think he is a mediocre coach at best.

IMG_7979.png

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I wonder if "couldn't come to terms" might have something to do with... term. As in length of contract. Maybe it's not dollars but years that's the hangup. If McLellan wants four or five years and the Jackets aren't willing to commit to that.
That's how I see it. If he wants say 4M/season, that's 8M they have to eat if things don't work out after 3 seasons.

I wonder if they couldn't come to an agreement on a 3 year deal with something like a possible 2 year extensions/option in place after 2 seasons heading into year 3.

But I won't sit here and pretend to know how that actually works in real life. Obviously it's not that simple

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
I bet it is term. It would make sense. I can see where ownership is tired of paying coaches not to coach. This is a small market team. Larson, Babcock, Vincent and now this guy wants a long deal at probably much bigger dollars than Larson or Vincent. If I were ownership I wouldn’t be in a very good mood right now

Reactions: squashmaple

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Three straight playoff appearances and over 100 pts twice is mediocre at best? Wow, I really need to re-examine my expectations in that care.
Look not trying to insult you but only a coach for 3 seasons and lost the room, the reason he was fired.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Look not trying to insult you but only a coach for 3 seasons and lost the room, the reason he was fired.
Oh, just call me the slur. Don't smirkingly imply things. But you're right, I'm far overmatched for this conversation and I'll leave it to you smart boys instead.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not trying to be a jerk seriously what is it about Evason that make you think he is what the CBJ needs. He was only an NHL coach 1 time and not for very long. I think he is a mediocre coach at best.

View attachment 893947
Not that I’m all in favor of Evason or anything but back to back 100 point seasons isn’t “mediocre” sounding to me.

Reactions: I3LI3

GoChill

Apr 19, 2007
<<Not trying to be a jerk seriously what is it about Evason that make you think he is what the CBJ needs. He was only an NHL coach 1 time and not for very long. I think he is a mediocre coach at best.>>

I hear you and would say pretty much the same thing about all the candidates I’ve heard of. If not mistaken they all got fired recently and all their teams played better after they were gone.

On the other hand Paul Maurice’s record is long and not impressive. It’s amazing how he keeps getting chances with his record and boom this year he wins the cup. He has done a great job in Florida but people thought Zito was nuts for letting Brunette go and bringing in Maurice.

Who knows, I think hiring coaches is almost as much of a crap shoot as signing goalies.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Feels like that's something that would be discussed in the final interview. If the terms were different and not on the same page then we wouldn't have proceeded. If it got to that point that the kings got involved I bet the holdup is the kings making us pay out the 5.5mil and we are like...nope we will go elsewhere. I'll trust Portzline on this one until further developments as Hedger can't even keep his story straight this afternoon.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Waddell has given interviews he wants to keep the assistants intact for continuity… I certainly wouldn’t , but I think this is Dons thought process
I don’t know that I’ve heard that implicitly said anywhere. Just that he’d leave that decision up to the new head coach. I have serious questions if he thinks these assistants are an absolute answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad