Who should be the next head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
So either it's that Todd McLellan wants more than his current salary with LA of $5.5 million / year. In which case what a greedy bastard.

Or it's that the CBJ are unwilling to pay his current salary with LA of $5.5 million/year for next year and the years beyond. In which case what cheap bastards.
Waddell wants to know compensation before proceeding so if he was ok to go to the negotiation stage he was alright with McLellan's offer. Sounds like Kings want CBJ to pay the entire last year for them.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Waddell wants to know compensation before proceeding so if he was ok to go to the negotiation stage he was alright with McLellan's offer. Sounds like Kings want CBJ to pay the entire last year for them.
I'm sure the kings could be the hold up. I don't discount that at all. I just think it's part of the negotiation process.

There are no other jobs open. If he doesn't get hired, they are on the hook for all of it. There has to be a middle ground unless the Kings are convinced someone else will hire him once the first firing of the season happens. The Kings should be more than willing to get rid of part of what he is owed. The question is how much?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Perhaps but that is definitely the norm for when a team hires a coach that is still under contract with a different team. I get that ownership doesn't want to pay Babcock + Vincent + McLellan's last year in LA + McLellan. But it will likely be the same story with Woodcroft and Evason right?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Maybe we’re going “public” with this to pressure McLellan to accept a lower salary or we move on? IDK. This is embarrassing
I don't think this is embarrassing at all. Maybe this is embarrassing for the Kings, they have a chance to get out from some of TM's salary while allowing a guy they fired to move on and are holding him back. I am sure teams don't want to be known as holding back execs and coaches they have fired.

We have zero knowledge of why the compensation is an issue. Jumping to conclusions is useless.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I don't think this is embarrassing at all. Maybe this is embarrassing for the Kings, they have a chance to get out from some of TM's salary while allowing a guy they fired to move on and are holding him back. I am sure teams don't want to be known as holding back execs and coaches they have fired.

We have zero knowledge of why the compensation is an issue. Jumping to conclusions is useless.
I’m not sure where the falloff is, but the contract he signed in LA was 5.5 million, which is even more than Babcock was going to make here (4M), and that was already the highest number in franchise history. I think this is mostly all from the CBJ end of not wanting to pay McLellan 5.5 million (or around this) in years 2+.

Reactions: CBJx614

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Why do we always default to the worst possible explanation? Isn't it exhausting catastrophizing and leaping to the worst option for everything? The two knuckleheads causing most of the org's problems the past few years are gone. Sometimes things are just boring and mundane.

No detailed news for a few weeks on the hiring process must mean that they're not doing a single thing and ignoring the vacancy, obviously! Couldn't just be that they're working on it and haven't released everything publicly, no way. "Admin issues" crop up in negotiations between McLellan, the Kings, and Jackets so obviously the only explanation is that the McConnells are cheap. Couldn't be something on the Kings side causing problems or simple legal or contractual issues.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I don't think that is allowed any longer.
I believe Torts was the last...lucky us! That said, looking at the picks starting with the 2017 second rounder we surrendered to Vancouver and the seven draft picks that followed...we didn't really lose anything unless Jarmo goes way off the board.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Why do we always default to the worst possible explanation? Isn't it exhausting catastrophizing and leaping to the worst option for everything? The two knuckleheads causing most of the org's problems the past few years are gone. Sometimes things are just boring and mundane.

No detailed news for a few weeks on the hiring process must mean that they're not doing a single thing and ignoring the vacancy, obviously! Couldn't just be that they're working on it and haven't released everything publicly, no way. "Admin issues" crop up in negotiations between McLellan, the Kings, and Jackets so obviously the only explanation is that the McConnells are cheap. Couldn't be something on the Kings side causing problems or simple legal or contractual issues.
If anything I see this being the Kings being the "issue" here. A lot of unknowns right now.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Maybe we’re going “public” with this to pressure McLellan to accept a lower salary or we move on? IDK. This is embarrassing
If this is a power move, what would pressure him to take a lower salary? He's getting paid a bunch by a team to do nothing this year. Why would he take a job for less on a team that has been a trainwreck,

He's absolutely in the driver's seat in negotiations.

I don't think this is embarrassing. I think this is how negotiations work. There is a cost and value to doing business for everybody and sometimes it doesn't fit.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Oh at this point looks to be so and why there hasn't been an announcement. The contract negotiations fell apart and unless ownership ponies up for more money then back to square one.
Hard to say with Don.. could be him trying to drive price down a bit having 2 other really qualified guys . McClellan may need to think how badly he wants to coach.. this team has a lot of potential that could make him look really good

I Agree .. Wads is negotiating .. since we are drawing unfounded conclusions , maybe Macclellan is asking for more money than they feel he’s worth , with his playoff record .. so they push back , how bad do you want the job ?

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I’m not sure where the falloff is, but the contract he signed in LA was 5.5 million, which is even more than Babcock was going to make here (4M), and that was already the highest number in franchise history. I think this is mostly all from the CBJ end of not wanting to pay McLellan 5.5 million (or around this) in years 2+.
But again, the point was made in several places that Waddell asks for salary expectations before even going through the interview process. Assuming TMac has already interviewed, that means he and the CBJ were close on salary terms. If that's the case, then the issue isn't between the CBJ and TMac, it's between the Kings and CBJ. In that case, Kings might be being unreasonable. We don't know...but speculating the worst about the CBJ here might be jumping to a bad conclusion.

Move onto Evason/Quenneville.
Hedger, you really need to stop trolling this site.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
But again, the point was made in several places that Waddell asks for salary expectations before even going through the interview process. Assuming TMac has already interviewed, that means he and the CBJ were close on salary terms. If that's the case, then the issue isn't between the CBJ and TMac, it's between the Kings and CBJ. In that case, Kings might be being unreasonable. We don't know...but speculating the worst about the CBJ here might be jumping to a bad conclusion..
Alright, you convinced me. You’re right.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
Well considering I’m not from Columbus I really don’t care. I just don’t want an owner who won’t do what it takes to get the coach we need.
Also curious as to why care about the CBJ at all if the C part does not matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad