Who should be the next head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
McClellan on a team with a civil war motif would be very tasty indeed!
Except he was chastised for supposedly being over cautious. He WAS an exceptional organizer though. I want a US Grant type myself...pound em and then pound em some more!

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Yeah, I’m in that boat on McLellan. I’m not convinced he’s really done a notable good job anywhere since San Jose. He also seems like a coach that typically works better on veteran teams.

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Well.... Waddell has preached that he was the team to play fast. We've heard that mentioned before and typically involves high IQ players and not just "fast" players. HOwever, I get the feeling he also means he wants more actual speed in this lineup. That being said, this is not typically the style of a retread. They can tend to be more defensive minded and conservative. This club has struggled with a defensive system for multiple years now. maybe it's time to go back to someone that preaches and teaches Safe is Death. If that's the case, I don't see guys like Provorov being long for the CBJ world. He seems more the epitome of safe....

I want someone that truly unlocks the youth potential, but by God... give them more than one year to get things going and implemented. Crazy we held the GM for a decade but seem to roll through coaches like a hot knife through butter or water through a mexican tourist....
Sounds like a job for Marc Savard.

Reactions: Xoggz22

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The more I read today , Mclellan makes sense , but Todd Nelson has been tied to Waddell , and I won’t be shocked if he’s the guy they hire based on the makeup of this team

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It is a roster with too many "coach killers" so I don't have a problem with Hartley's assessment.

Though I think moving on from Elvis and Laine will help a lot with that. And get the coach at least one solid shutdown D, then you've taken care of much of the issue.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It is a roster with too many "coach killers" so I don't have a problem with Hartley's assessment.

Though I think moving on from Elvis and Laine will help a lot with that. And get the coach at least one solid shutdown D, then you've taken care of much of the issue.
Gaudreau is on his 10th coach

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

The narrative on this board seems to have been for the last two years “Who wouldn’t want to come and coach this team with our great young talent?” Now we have a coach saying the exact opposite.

I have been very critical of roster construction. But this is the first I have seen anyone use the term “coach killers”. Can you elaborate on that?

Reactions: Derby

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Once again, previous experience is a must, Waddell told The Athletic.

“Yes, 100 percent,” Waddell said. “With what this group has been through the last two or three years — and I’m not blaming anybody — but we need to bring in somebody who’s been in that seat before, somebody who has good structure and accountability.

“These (players), this is what they want. They want accountability, and they want it all working together as a team, to get rid of some of the silos (cliques among players) and all that. I truly believe we need somebody with a track record in the league.”
Waddell has a lot on his plate right now, with the NHL Draft (nine days away in Vegas), the start of NHL free agency (on July 1) and a tricky trade to pull off involving forward Patrik Laine, who has asked the club for a trade after 3 1/2 seasons.

Now add a coaching search.

It’s not a reflection on the importance of the decision — “I’ve got one chance to get this right,” Waddell said. “I’ve got to get this right.” — but don’t expect a new coach to be in place quickly, Waddell said.

“The way I look at it, time is on my side,” Waddell said. “You’d like to have a coach in place by free agency, but I don’t think we’ll be overly busy then.

“The thing is, there’s no other (NHL opening) to fill. So, the guys who are available today are going to be available tomorrow. I just have to make sure I do a thorough, thorough search and an investigation, really. I haven’t talked to anybody yet and I won’t talk to anybody for a day or so. Right now, I’m talking to general managers and other folks who would be familiar with the people we’re interested in.”

“You feel for them, but you’re also new to the position,” Waddell said. “We can’t be in this spot again.

“I can’t change what has happened in the past. I’m not going to worry about the past, either, just get it right today and for the future. I think the guys will around that, to be honest with you.”

Waddell had a few conversations with Vincent and with others in the organization before deciding in recent days that a change was necessary. And so the Blue Jackets will spend part of another offseason in coaching-search mode, hoping this time to get it right.

“You learn a lot in a short time, just the last two or three weeks I’ve been here in Columbus, obviously including talking with Pascal,” Waddell said. “At the end of the day, just blocking out all the noise, I just couldn’t get comfortable that he’d be the guy who could take us to the next level.”

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Just asking the question...is it possible Laine's issue was with Vincent and that a change of coaches might make Laine interested in sticking it out another season?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just asking the question...is it possible Laine's issue was with Vincent and that a change of coaches might make Laine interested in sticking it out another season?
It is possible, yes.

It’s also possible his issue was with the developers who decided it was a good idea to put a 30-some floor hotel on top of the North Market.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CBJx614

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I’m sure that’s hope .. even if they want to move Laine because of his contract , they are selling lower than the player he’s capable of being .Based on the article today , definitely locker room issues , they discussed cliques… so who knows who gets moved … Wonder if Boone surrenders his C .. might be right thing to do .. let new group have full autonomy

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I could see it, I'd be curious what their conversation will be like (Waddell/Laine) if he tries to get him to play some games under a new coach in an attempt to up his value or attempt him to change his mind. Or is Waddell gonna say f*** it and just see what he can get for him.

Seems like his trade value is all over the place so I'm curious what the market for him actually is.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Don't know why Laine's issues would be with Vincent, he barely played for him. Vincent was the guy willing to give him a shot at center. As far as I am concerned, Laine and Elvis both wanted out, so send them out. If you start trying to appease those two to stay by hiring a coach they like, you are sending the wrong message to the rest of the team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Very unlikely I think. If it was because of the coach then you wouldn't have seen Laine and the Jackets mutually agree to seek a trade. They would have waited at least until the coaching situation is resolved.

In any case the Jackets need a fresh start from Laine as much as he needs a fresh start from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad