Who quietly had a very good season

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Claude Giroux

Should be clear front runner for Hart but no one talks about him and people minimize him as "just a offensive Winger " when he's as good or better defensively than anyone in the top 10. Also left off of half the list of "people's top 3 for Hart".

He's been getting this treatment 6 years now despite being the highest point producer in the league this decade

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Eric Staal. People thought he was done 2 years ago but he has quietly put up two very respectable seasons. The guy scored 42 goals this year and I don't think I've heard anyone mention his name on the main boards this season.

This season wasn't so quiet. Last year, definitely.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Claude Giroux

Should be clear front runner for Hart but no one talks about him and people minimize him as "just a offensive Winger " when he's as good or better defensively than anyone in the top 10. Also left off of half the list of "people's top 3 for Hart".

He's been getting this treatment 6 years now despite being the highest point producer in the league this decade

Wouldnt say his play was quiet. His lack of recognition for Hart until the final week of the season was odd though.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Not a huge point total or anything but Mattias Janmark put up 19G and 34 Points. 5th in the team in points, after missing all of last year after surgery due to a genetic disorder "Osteochondritis dissecans" (join disorder in his knee). They weren't sure if he would ever be able to play again.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
"Matthews" "Quietly"
PPG +, best ES goal scorer, all while being snake bitten on the PP2. And with low minutes. And improving more on his D game. Considering people are trying to say he's not elite, I'd say his season was underrated

Marner is another, went on like a 100 point pace in the 2nd half of the season yet people want to put guys like Connor (WPG) ahead of him from his draft

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
PPG +, best ES goal scorer iirc (/60), all while being snake bitten on the PP2. And with low minutes. And improving more on his D game. Considering people are trying to say he's not elite, I'd say his season was underrated

Marner is another, went on like a 100 point pace in the 2nd half of the season

Underrated =/= quietly (He's not underrated, anyway). It's pretty well known that Matthews had a good season, and its been everywhere in the media and on the boards

It's just such a Leafs statement to make. Its like me saying that Marchand isnt dirty.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Carl Soderberg. Had a fantastic season putting up half a ppg while playing basically a shutdown and pk role exclusively.

Now I didnt see a single game of Söderberg this year but I have always been convinced he would(have been?) be able to contribute in a scoring role in the NHL aswell, like maybe not first but deffo second line material. Doesnt surprise me at all he still manage to pot some points in a smaller role. Think he could have been a legit productive high end 2nd line player if he didnt make the choice to stay in Sweden forever.

During the lockout over here he, at times, made players like Duchene look inferior.

Happy to see he atleast found some success.

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Alex DeBrincat had a great season but since he isn’t Barzal or Boeser he slid under the radar a bit in terms of rookie hype. Had 28 goals and 50 points while spending this entire season almost entirely on the 3rd line and playing on his off wing.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ryan Dzingel is trending up for the Sens he had 23 goals. With his speed he reminds me a lot of Grabner. I think 30 is possible.

Forget speed, his skating in general is great.

I rank overall skating ability very very high on the list of things I want in a player. I’ve loved Dzingel for awhile. 2 Sens that I’d love on the islanders are Dzingel and Pageau.

Dzingel isn’t s really well known player but he’s got a lot of nice upside to his game and is a tremendous skater.

Reactions: Revan

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Alex DeBrincat had a great season but since he isn’t Barzal or Boeser he slid under the radar a bit in terms of rookie hype. Had 28 goals and 50 points while spending this entire season almost entirely on the 3rd line and playing on his off wing.

Same can be said for Clayton Keller who had 23 goals 65 points in his rookie campaign.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I guess this thread has become “who from YOUR team didn’t get enough recognition”...

As an Avs fan looking around the league, I was surprised to see great seasons from guys like Trocheck, Gourde, Haula, Teravainen... nice to see some names panning out for other franchises

Will Butcher had 44 points in his rookie season, so that's neat.

That “trade” for Alexander Kerfoot worked out nicely for both teams

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Nikita Zadorov had a really good season. Cemented himself as the #1 LD on the team and has been exactly what the scouts hoped he would be in his draft year.

I wouldn't say he's had a quiet season though, since leading the league in hits is pretty loud, especially live.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Bo Horvat. Guy was injured for a good portion of the season but whenever he's on the ice he always seemed to make something happen. Edler point wise had a pretty good season as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad