Who is the best Goalie Prospect in Hockey?

Best Goalie Prospect in Hockey?

• Yaroslav Askarov (NSH)

• Devon Levi (BUF)

• Jesper Wallstedt (MIN)

• Dustin Wolf (CGY)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Wolf has been posting video game numbers for the last 8 games. A .968 save percentage. 1GAA 3 shut outs 8 wins. Playing like he’s unbeatable right now. Looking forward to him(hopefully) playing in the NHL next year

Reactions: Boomstick

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I wouldn't consider him a top goalie prospect... but Woll has looked good in his limited NHL games

this year: 4-1-0 | .932 | 2.02 | 0 SO (GSAx/60 .506)
career: 7-2-0 | .922 | 2.35 | 1 SO
--
AHL this year: 16-4-1 | .927 | 2.37 | 0 SO

Can't vote on the options cause I don't know enough, just updating the curious about Woll quietly putting together a decent start to his career. I feel like he was once thought of as a decent prospect.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Since December 15th (22 games) Jesper has GAA 2,23 and .922 SV%
Last 7 games, GAA 2,12 and .920 SV%
Impressively fast transformation from Olympic size of ice to this smaller ice surfaces. Can we also see some certain consistency already...
Thank you for actually contributing instead of just saying “I like X because and that’s all you need to know”. It’s amazing that almost all the goalies listed have went nuclear as the season has progressed. Using your same timelines:
Dec 15
Wolf •34 games, 1.94 GAA, .938%
Askarov •28 games, 2.82 GAA, .910%
Wallstedt •22 games, 2.23 GAA, .922%

Last 7 games
Wolf •0.86 GAA, .971%, 29.6 shots/game
Askarov •3.29GAA, .915%, 38.5 shots/game
Wallstedt •2.12GAA, .920%, 26.8 shots/game

Wolf has seemingly progressed to putting up his his best WHL numbers, but against AHL teams. Somewhere around the start of February, Askarov flipped a switch and started dominating. Askarov’s stats are suppressed from being absolutely shelled night in, night out, he’s getting the usage the other poster tried claiming Wallstedt does. Wallstedt has finally figured out North American ice and his results have flourished, although he also seemingly is getting the most defensive support recently especially relative to Askarov. Weird part is how their records have played out.

Wallstedt: 12-8-2, 4-2-1
Askarov: 14-10-3, 4-2-1
Wolf: 27-5-2, 7-0-0

Wallstedt and Askarov have performed pretty similarly honestly despite the numbers. Milwaukee does score .34 goals per game more which helps Askarov’s case, but he’s also seemingly had to battle to keep Milwaukee in more games. He has seen 30+ shots 16 times compared to Wallstedt’s 9, and 40+ shots 4 times compared to Wallstedt’s 1.

Also can we take a moment to appreciate how ridiculous a 34 game stretch of .938 and 1.98 GAA, with a .824 points percentage is. His cheat code WHL season was .940, 1.80 GAA and a .857, he is closing in on dominating men to the same degree he dominated the CHL on a team that’s no where near defensively sound as Everett was.

Last edited:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Thank you for actually contributing instead of just saying “I like X because and that’s all you need to know”. It’s amazing that almost all the goalies listed have went nuclear as the season has progressed. Using your same timelines:
Dec 15
Wolf •34 games, 1.94 GAA, .938%
Askarov •28 games, 2.82 GAA, .910%
Wallstedt •22 games, 2.23 GAA, .922%

Last 7 games
Wolf •0.86 GAA, .971%, 29.6 shots/game
Askarov •3.29GAA, .915%, 38.5 shots/game
Wallstedt •2.12GAA, .920%, 26.8 shots/game

Wolf has seemingly progressed to putting up his his best WHL numbers, but against AHL teams. Somewhere around the start of February, Askarov flipped a switch and started dominating. Askarov’s stats are suppressed from being absolutely shelled night in, night out, he’s getting the usage the other poster tried claiming Wallstedt does. Wallstedt has finally figured out North American ice and his results have flourished, although he also seemingly is getting the most defensive support recently especially relative to Askarov. Weird part is how their records have played out.

Wallstedt: 12-8-2, 4-2-1
Askarov: 14-10-3, 4-2-1
Wolf: 27-5-2, 7-0-0

Wallstedt and Askarov have performed pretty similarly honestly despite the numbers. Milwaukee does score .34 goals per game more which helps Askarov’s case, but he’s also seemingly had to battle to keep Milwaukee in more games. He has seen 30+ shots 16 times compared to Wallstedt’s 9, and 40+ shots 4 times compared to Wallstedt’s 1.

Also can we take a moment to appreciate how ridiculous a 34 game stretch of .938 and 1.98 GAA, with a .824 points percentage is. His cheat code WHL season was .940, 1.80 GAA and a .857, he is closing in on dominating men to the same degree he dominated the CHL on a team that’s no where near defensively sound as Everett was.

Yeah, Askarov's been getting shelled lately, seems like half of Milwaukee is down in Nashville.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I'll take Wallstedt and then Askarov just behind. At the end of the day, the bigger bodies are an advantage. Levi and Wolf are no joke however.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
So close to call a clear cut #1 . I’d say Dostal deserves to be added.
Levi seems to have some minor issues with handling shots to blocker /low blocker side.
One thing that Wolf and Levi have in common - smaller sized goalies but both kids are animals when it comes to devotion , commitment ,desire to be better. Im not saying the others don’t do this , just that I have rewd and heard from multiple people that thise two are obsessed with playing and wanting to get better.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So close to call a clear cut #1 . I’d say Dostal deserves to be added.
Levi seems to have some minor issues with handling shots to blocker /low blocker side.
One thing that Wolf and Levi have in common - smaller sized goalies but both kids are animals when it comes to devotion , commitment ,desire to be better. Im not saying the others don’t do this , just that I have rewd and heard from multiple people that thise two are obsessed with playing and wanting to get better.
Very well possible.

With big guys like Vasilevskiy and Oettinger moving like cats it became almost impossible for smaller goalies to still have a significant edge in mobility. I mean if you look back in nhl history, the big goalies were never able to move like this. I can't think of a single one. I liked Kari Lehtonen a great deal back at the time but he wasn't close to what we see now. And every year we see several new big kids turning up and moving like this. This is why I disagree when people post in here that Wolf or Levi are the goalies with the highest upside. I think being big helps a great deal if you wanna become the next Hellebuyck or Vasilevskiy and be consistently outstanding at NHL level for years.

However, only very few of the bigger goalies ever become this good and I doubt that's gonna change. What people tend to forget is that the biggest factor deciding on a goalie's success we cannot see...it's between the ears. Especially at NHL level where the schedule is packed with lots of travelling involved as well it's tough to be ready for each and every shot...for years. That's only possible if you're mentally strong. Even the biggest, best moving goalie kid with the cleanest technique we've ever seen is completely useless if he can't track the puck properly for entire games, months and years or if he gets rattled after goals against or getting sprayed with snow, bumped into, trash talked etc. That's an area where Wolf and Levi seem to be very strong. They'll still have to prove they can do it at NHL level for more than just a handful of games but so far so good. I believe some of that is actually talent as well...not every kid can concentrate on the same thing for the same amount of time and some kids are mentally stronger than others but in today's world there's also lots of options to work on those things. Therefore I wouldn't at all be shocked if guys like Wolf or Levi had been pretty notorious in getting better in those areas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad