Speculation: Who gets bought out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It seemed like Danny B was shopping him pretty hard at one point

Offering a player for trade is not anywhere near the same thing as being willing to carry a cap hit until 2029-30 to get rid of someone three years early. I could absolutely see us trading Risto, but that doesn't make him a credible buyout candidate. Look to our impending UFAs for those.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
This is a good list, but I'd probably split these guys into 2 categories.

1. 30+ guys who are probably bottom-pair D's. These are guys you could probably move Schmidt for in a one-for-one, maybe retaining a bit of salary to even things out. Savard, Jensen, Murphy, Ruuta
Murphy, Savard and Jensen are 2nd pairing D and too good to be considered "bottom pairing". They're upgrades on Pionk. That could change in a couple of years, but as of now, they're all legit #4 guys at worst. Rutta is a question mark. Maybe bottom pairing quality. Maybe 2nd pairing. Hard to tell with that Sharks blueline.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
When did it become a thing to say Josh Norris is bad?

He's not a bad player, he just can't stay healthy. He reminds me of Boeser who people called bad, but just couldn't play 75-82 games. Suddenly, he plays a full season and is good. If Norris can play a full season at some stage, he'll score 50-70 points and he's worth $8m, especially with the cap going up. If the shoulder injury has ruined him, he'll just go on LTIR.

He's not outright bad. He's just not worth 8 million and very likely never will be. He's also always injured and if a buyout is possible - it's for 1/3 this summer as he's still under the age cutoff. If he would stay on LTIR for an entire year (or several), at least Ottawa could allocate that to a rental - but they can't because he always comes back which would put them over the cap ceiling.

Boeser's worst single season point total as a regular saw him net just about 40% more points than what Norris has managed to put up the last 2 years combined, and Norris is likely to start 2024-25 in LTIR again. Enough is enough and it's time to cut losses on this one.

IDK if it's possible to buy out Norris though. There's nothing explicitly stating you can't buy-out an injured player - but my understanding is a buy-out requires the player be put on waivers, which I believe isn't an option for an injured player (like Norris). If it is possible, then it would be a mistake to let this opportunity pass as the buy-out is only easy to swallow this summer, and never again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad