Speculation: Who gets bought out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
he's not awful, was actually decent on the 3rd pair last year but makes too much money
Would it not make more sense to retain 50% of his salary and trade him for future considerations / a 7th rounder? Or, of course, more, if teams are willing to pay more. About $3m-ish cap hit for one year of Schmidt retained instead of $2.5m-ish cap hit for 2 years of Schmidt bought out.

Reactions: banks and biturbo19

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I think Josh Norris is an absolute no at this point. Every year that you don't buy him out is 2 years of buyout that you aren't paying, and it isn't crystal clear yet at this point that he's overpaid and a boat anchor contract. Yes, it's very possible, but give him some time to try and turn it around. Keep kicking the can down the road until it's CLEAR that a buyout or trade or whatever is the way to go.

Reactions: Ciao

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think Josh Norris is an absolute no at this point. Every year that you don't buy him out is 2 years of buyout that you aren't paying, and it isn't crystal clear yet at this point that he's overpaid and a boat anchor contract. Yes, it's very possible, but give him some time to try and turn it around. Keep kicking the can down the road until it's CLEAR that a buyout or trade or whatever is the way to go.
Rather than each club using a buyout maybe Ottawa and LA could trade their two young disappointing guys? Norris for PLD?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Dubois cant be bought out for 1/3 he turns 26 in late June so no 1_3 ,buy out.

With the new coach, sabres could buy out Skinner. I'd be surprised if they do.

Carolina can buy out Kk at 1/3.

You cant buy out LTIR players like Atkinson

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Anton forsberg?

I'm not sure Ottawa can move korpisalo. Forsberg is a 916k cap hit each of the next two if bought out, I think.

If Ottawa wants to get another goalie in there, I feel like it has to come by way of forsberg

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Travis Hamonic is pretty much a lock.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of a Jonas Korpisalo buyout either.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Holl under performed? No way! You don't say I'm shocked, SHOCKED I tells ya
The thing is, Holl really didn’t underperform. The problem he had was, they needed more puck possession and quicker transition from their bottom pairing. Gostisbehere, Petry and Maatta, offered more of that. As well as Walman, before he too was finally exiled to the press-box.

They just had too many mid range D-men and he was on the outside looking in. He actually didn’t play badly though. In fact, there’s a good chance they can still trade him, but because of the logistics of trying to flip Maatta, Holl and Walman, maybe the buyout becomes easier. We’ll see how it all plays out but expect Maatta to be moved first, then at least one of the other two, but likely both. They’ll want their deals done to bring in someone else first though. That’s why it maybe easier just to buy him out.

Same case with Husso. Good chance if they upgrade in net, and Husso isn’t sent away in that deal, he’ll likely be bought out. With Holl, it may also just be easier to retain $750k-$1 million. Someone will likely take him between $2-$2.5 million.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Would it not make more sense to retain 50% of his salary and trade him for future considerations / a 7th rounder? Or, of course, more, if teams are willing to pay more. About $3m-ish cap hit for one year of Schmidt retained instead of $2.5m-ish cap hit for 2 years of Schmidt bought out.

Yeah. Looking at things, this makes sense to me with Schmidt. Costs you basically the same for 2024-25 to buy him out or trade him at 50% retention. But the buyout adding an extra cap hit next year makes it a less desirable outcome i'd think.

Problem is...whether or not you can even find a "buyer" for Schmidt at ~$3M. That's still a pretty solid chunk of change for what is basically a filler bottom-pairing Defenceman at this point. Complicated further by having some trade protection still...if he doesn't want to go to wherever will take him. Though i'd imagine if it's that or sacrifice a third of his remaining salary next year...he'd probably be pliable in convincing him to waive for wherever. Just not sure what the market would be for him even at $3M.

If they can find a taker, it's a better option though.

Nurse and Campbell from the Oilers

Campbell is a pretty obvious buyout candidate. It's just untenable at this point, any hope of a resurgence is pretty much dead. You're not going to find a way to dump that contract for anything the Oilers can afford to pay. So they probably have to bite the bullet on their huge mistake and just do it.

Nurse on the other hand...as ghastly and awful as that contract is, to want to get out from under it...it is also fairly "buyout proof". Multiple years of ~$9M cap hit make that pretty much a non-starter i'd think. Not to mention the length of time they'd be paying out in general. I think they're basically just stuck trying to continue to build around that monstrosity of a deal for a while.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Imagine you're a player and just don't want to play the game anymore.

Suck for a season and just go home and live off your buyout.
Alexandre Daigle came into the league a couple generations too early lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad