Who else has very little interest in the Four Nations tournament?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It's on the same level as the All Star Game to me, completely meaningless exhibition hockey that interrupts the season. The only country-vs-country tournaments that mean anything are the Olympics or the World Juniors.
The argument is that maybe the players care about it more than us

I'm not really buying it when there's only 4 teams and its in the middle of the season where they all have to go back to the season Healthy to live up to their 10 million $ contracts in the playoffs coming up. Maybe if they keep holding this tournament it will gain weight eventually. Its certainly no olympics

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Maybe it'll be a useful precursor to the Olympics going forward? If they keep doing this tournament and add Russia + a Rest of World team then I could see it having a lot of value a half decade or so from now.

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
My interest level will reflect the interest of the players, and due to the lack of true best on best tournament in the last decade, I believe they will be very motivated.

It will take some time to build, I actually forgot this was going to happen. But in the end Sweden vs Finland and Canada vs US in a true best on best is something to care about. It will be used to settle hockey arguments for some time.

Btw. If Russia participated at this time Sweden or Finland would never join them, and if they did I'd never watch another second of the swedish national team in my life.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
On one hand I don't like international events excluding legit contenders and being used as a replacement to more legitimate tournaments like the Olympics.

All that said however, it should make for incredible hockey, and I'll be glued to the games for sure.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
First international tournament in wayyyy too long. The players will buy in 100% because they also know this is an exhibition for the Olympic team coming up, a little try out as you will, you want your name in those conversations.

Obviously it's no Olympics, but don't kid yourselves. The players will be motivated and playing at 100% for their countries.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't care. My fear is the tournament will be like the All Star games - players going thru the motion and playing 12-10 games. Give us the Olympics, instead.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
12 pages of people who care so little they can’t stop posting about it.

It’s a subject that a huge swath of fans care about. 2014-2026 is 12 years of zero gimmick-free best on best which is absolute insanity.

In a similar timeframe a different hockey world got the ‘87, ‘91, ‘96, and ‘98 tournaments

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I have a huge amount of interest in it. Just the exercise of picking best on best teams for 4 countries is very cool. As a soccer fan I wish hockey had international play more intertwined in the league schedule.

McDavid and Matthews have never represented their countries against each other until this, that's a crime. When those jerseys go on players are going to be playing hard for their flags. People comparing it to an all-star game are insane. Obviously it's not the Olympics, but soccer has other international tournaments besides the World Cup that players care about as well.

gach

Aug 2, 2018
On one hand.. no Czechs and f*** that.

On the other hand... I love my best on best hockey and have been dying to see McDavid, MacK and Sid together. I've been dying to see the latest version of the US as they seem to be the 'paper champs' and have amazing depth everywhere. The Finn's have a potential golden generation and those players have yet to play together so that'll be fun. Swedes are always awesome and it'll be a great team.

So I'm cheering for Finland.

And remember, if Canada wins it.. best on best and their 4th in a row to show dominance! If Canada loses, it was just a meaningless exhibition game and doesn't count. This is the way!
All 4 teams wish the Czechs were playing as it would mean they wouldn't come last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad