Who else has very little interest in the Four Nations tournament?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So their C depth, the most important position in hockey, is Malkin, Kuznetsov… Barbashev?

The Defense, the second most important position in hockey, is a bunch of guys who wouldn’t make the Canadian or US team.

They’re not true contenders

See above.
Russia’s D has never been great. The center ice position is weak but their goaltending might be the best since the end of the cold war. Wings are star studded. They are definitely legit.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
There’s no Czechia. That’s like an NBA tourney with the Lakers, Celtics, Bucks, and Sixers, but no Bulls because they haven’t won anything lately.
It’s dumb, and disrespects the Czechs.
You do understand that there's a practical and logical reason for this, right? Only NHL players can participate and the Czechs could not fill a complete team.

This is also an experiment. I'm sure they will find a way to include players who play in Europe next time. However, if we just get negative nancies like in this thread, there won't be more international tournaments. It will never improve.

Cool, but this has nothing to do with international competition, it's just NHL tournament/exhibition, featuring only 4 teams (nations). It will be probably good training for them ahead of the Olympics. At least it will be better than watching All-Star game, but that is not saying much.
It actually has to do with international competition. The players will care about winning for their country. And, yea, it will be a preview of some of the Olympic national teams.

The NHL and its BOG have deprived us of 2 Olympics and at least one octennial joke Canada/World Cup. Forgive us if we refuse this moldy ass cookie they’re handing out. :ha:
It's not a moldy ass cookie. It's a peace offering, where they are trying to give the fans and the players what they've wanted for a while. Everyone needs to support this so the owners realize how much we want international competition.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
That's true, but Finland is still 3x larger than Latvia, with 7x as many registered hockey players.

The count of registered hockey players is probably a better way to look at it.
View attachment 919715
It's impressive that they are able to be competitive against even watered down teams from the top nations. Only Canada, Finland, and Sweden have a higher proportion of registered players as a percent of their population, and they do so while being much wealthier countries than Latvia.
Nice graphic, Thanks for sharing. IMHO, the bold part and development program are the basic of success.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Could be great! It's best against best and the players will play for their home country. More likely for them to push and try to win. As for Russia, they should have a special draft where each of the four nations get to pick the Russian stars one by one. :laugh:

That being said, this thread is a good way to identify the people on here who are against fun. The NHL is trying to bring back international competition and we still got people bitching and whining about it before the tourney has even been played.
But they do it all wrong. It's not bitching to underline a missed occasion. Where is the Czech Republic? Germany? Switzerland? Four arbitrary nations and nothing to play for.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Russia’s D has never been great. The center ice position is weak but their goaltending might be the best since the end of the cold war. Wings are star studded. They are definitely legit.
And Russia hasn’t won a true best in best since when? How is their D “never been good” supposed to be some kind of positive?

Also who their #2 or #3 G is meaningless. Only one can play. And other countries have a good #1 too.

Russia wouldn’t medal anyway

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
And Russia hasn’t won a true best in best since when? How is their D “never been good” supposed to be some kind of positive?

Also who their #2 or #3 G is meaningless. Only one can play. And other countries have a good #1 too.

On paper they are definitely better than Finland IMO but Finland has a way to gelling and overachieving internationally. You’re making it seem like they would be totally unworthy of playing like Norway or something. Who medals in this situation? There’s 4 teams.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site

Russia would medal if they were the host country, but that's the only way.

Take that, Russia!

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
On paper they are definitely better than Finland IMO but Finland has a way to gelling and overachieving internationally. You’re making it seem like they would be totally unworthy of playing like Norway or something. Who medals in this situation? There’s 4 teams.
It’s the idea that this tournament is a “joke” without them there.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It’s the idea that this tournament is a “joke” without them there.
Correction; the tournament is a joke with or without them.

MLB routinely shoots itself in the foot but even they figured out how to make an international tournament work with the World Baseball Classic. That tourney had everything from the perfect script final of Japan vs the US (with Trout v Ohtani being the final at bat) to legitimate competition. Perfect mix of elite level competition and getting to shine the spotlight on smaller baseball nations like the Czechs, who sent a bunch of 9 to 5 workers who also happened to love the game.

This just feels like a shitty corporate attempt to go "see? you don't need the olympics!"

Reactions: MessierII

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I have basically no interest. But i will say this is better than the traditional all star game which i have negative interest in.

Also u just know someone is going to get injured and screw up their teams playoff chances

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I wonder how players are going to treat this.

A meaningless tournament in the middle of the season, not sure they will be going 100% risking injuries
It's not the best international hockey event imaginable, but it's something, and the players seem to care as well as the hockey federations that are involved. It will be great as an American to see so many great U.S. players on the same team at the same time since forever. At the very least it will be a nice precursor to the Olympics where the stakes will be much higher.
I think the bigger connotation is what RR alluded to. This is a warm up for the Olympics and I expect that the Olympic rosters will look very similar to the 4 Nations event lineups. The event itself is just a filler event that is replacing the ASG, so it can't be worse than the alternative, and I expect with national pride on the line the intensity level will be much higher.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Need to wait for the game to see how much I care about it.

If it’s just all star game effort and intensity then I won’t care. If there is some effort and intensity to the games I’ll care. I’m pretty ambivalent towards it. It’s happening so why not wait until it happens to shit or not shit on it. We don’t know what expect from it.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
But they do it all wrong. It's not bitching to underline a missed occasion. Where is the Czech Republic? Germany? Switzerland? Four arbitrary nations and nothing to play for.

Not arbitrary, anyone with a clue knows they are the top 4 ranked countries in the world among those eligible to play. Wouldn't be surprised if they expand it next time around but you've gotta start somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad