Proposal: Who do we move Morgan Rielly for?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
He's coming up on his last contract year the smart move would be to move him while we still can, Who should we move him for and what would you add with him in order to make the trade?

Actually, that would be a very, very dumb move. We have NO ONE who can replace what Reilly gives us, and our D-corps would be garbage without him. You keep a guy like him. Play him, and re-sign him, as he's a huge part of the core.

Others can be moved, to make any cap room we need.

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
The Reilly has been amazing crowd, I would suggest waiting until the Leafs play a good, talented, physical team then make your evaluations. The Canadiens are the worst offensive team in the playoffs, they got very little up front just a bunch of bangers. I predict if the Leafs get to play in the semi's you will see the down side of Reilly. He cannot handle the tough, fast, physical type of opponent in his own end. He is soft. Lastly if your slap shot can literally not break a pain of glass, (his shot makes Marners look like Bobby Hull in his prime sorry millennials) you should not be the P.P QB, I think Sandin is better at that already. Time to cut bait.

Reactions: geo25

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Reilly has been amazing crowd, I would suggest waiting until the Leafs play a good, talented, physical team then make your evaluations. The Canadiens are the worst offensive team in the playoffs, they got very little up front just a bunch of bangers. I predict if the Leafs get to play in the semi's you will see the down side of Reilly. He cannot handle the tough, fast, physical type of opponent in his own end. He is soft. Lastly if your slap shot can literally not break a pain of glass, (his shot makes Marners look like Bobby Hull in his prime sorry millennials) you should not be the P.P QB, I think Sandin is better at that already. Time to cut bait.

No, both the preds and the isles are worse offensive teams than the Habs,

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
We have NO ONE who can replace what Reilly gives us, and our D-corps would be garbage without him.

As much as i hope Rielly can be signed on a reasonable AAV hit, which remains to be seen, flat out stating our defence would be garbage without Morgs is just...wrong. On so many levels.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
The love for Reilly is toxic. Price gifted that goal to Reilly, it was total fluke. Price cheated and left his net cuz Reilly is obsessed with not shooting and it backfired. Watch literally 60 seconds later, Reilly has a similar chance in the slot to walk into a lane and blast a shot. Id move Reilly 100% in the offseason, 300% Reilly has suspect hockey sense, no confidence, cut ties man, its not a family tree.
You sir are incorrect.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Not sure Sandin's skating is ready for showtime. Would need a buffer defenseman if we moved on from Rielly. If he'll re-sign in the 6-6.5 range we should probably keep him.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
LMAO. It's true on so many levels. Reilly is our most talented d-man by far.

Muzzin and Brodie can NOT carry a d-corps.

Morgan is our best offensive D man, by far.

He is not our best D man defensively, or close. No question, having a good partner in Brodie, has improved Rielly's defensive game though.

The question becomes, what can we afford to pay for that? Are there other options, that provide close to Net the same game, even if it's not as good offensively? What could we get in a trade? How could that help us? What would it cost to get a replacement for him?

One should not conclude that we MUST trade him, or MUST keep him. You look at the options, find out the cost to keep him, and make informed decisions. We also should be waiting to see how he does, and how the team does in the playoffs, particularly when we play teams more talented than Montreal.

If he wants $5 mil, we keep him. If he wants $8 mil, well, that's something we might not be able to afford... somewhere in between, you look at it.

There was once a time that Phaneuf was our most talented d-man, and we overpaid to keep him... ugggh... and I'm not trying to compare Morgan to Dion in anyway, other than overpaying a player.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Morgan is our best offensive D man, by far.

He is not our best D man defensively, or close. No question, having a good partner in Brodie, has improved Rielly's defensive game though.

The question becomes, what can we afford to pay for that? Are there other options, that provide close to Net the same game, even if it's not as good offensively? What could we get in a trade? How could that help us? What would it cost to get a replacement for not?

One should not conclude that we MUST trade him, or MUST keep him. You look at the options, find out the cost to keep him, and make informed decisions. We also should be waiting to see how he does, and how the team does in the playoffs, particularly when we play teams more talented than Montreal.

If he wants $5 mil, we keep him. If he wants $8 mil, well, that's something we might not be able to afford... somewhere in between, you look at it.

There was once a time that Phaneuf was our most talented d-man, and we overpaid to keep him... ugggh... and I'm not trying to compare Morgan to Dion in anyway, other than overpaying a player.
100% correct .. to all those out there who think Sandin will take over next year you are in a massive dreamland .. until he shows he can change his stride and skate with NHL speed it will be impossible for him to be a #1 D in NHL .. I like many hope he can and will change his stride but it is far from a certainty .. and kiddie corp d cores don't win .. it takes 5-7 years to develop them

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Actually, that would be a very, very dumb move. We have NO ONE who can replace what Reilly gives us, and our D-corps would be garbage without him. You keep a guy like him. Play him, and re-sign him, as he's a huge part of the core.

I hate to keep feeding this thread because its something we should talk about after the season but which ones are you thinking? No forwards as KD is married to the good ones so any changes there will be done at the thrift store again. Its pretty much Muzzin right? Nobody else moves enough cap except Muzz has that NT and how likely is the local boy to waive for a contending club.?

Add $2M+ for a raise to Hyman and optimistically assuming only one more year of the flat cap then things get real in 22-23 when Campbell, Sandin, and Lilly are looking for new deals and we are in the first year of MR's new contract. That's the year before the NTs kick in so its the last chance to restructure and I guess they would need to decide which of the big 3 should be moved unless the cap has exploded. Keeping Rielly or not kind of can't be put off past this summer because another NM sets them up for a stack of $5M+ salaries eating up 2/3 of their cap. Kerfoot out and no Kessel money but no $700k Spezza and how much of a raise will Campbell get? I am not with those saying drop Rielly to add by subtraction, but I can't see how the math works.

I'm not blaming the organization for painting themselves into a corner because Covid really did that and obviously that isn't an eventuality that any team could have allowed for, but here they are. The absence of no bargain contracts on a cap team means you need to add some, not more big, unmovable deals.

I absolutely disagree the D would be garbage without Mo but there is also no realistic internal replacement for him by next year so an add is required and that isn't free. If he has a great playoff and they know they have to keep him, how would they afford it? A bunch would have said Willie a week ago but not today so....?

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Keep him. Even if he leaves via FA, he's worth keeping for another run next year. A prime chance for this core group, I wouldn't give it up.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Our lineup could never have too much Rasmus in it.

Buffalo continues to implode, we trade Mo for Dahlin, who demands out.

Last edited:

Stinger8

Feb 16, 2021
Its pretty hard, but not impossible to win the whole enchilada without a dominant number 1 D man. We don't have that plain and simple, and Reilly will NEVER EVER EVER be that. Vegas-Pietrangelo, Colorado-Makar, Tampa -Hedman, Carolina-Hamilton. Is Seth Jones good enough to be that??? If so he MAY be available and most importantly that would make Popeye very happy!!

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Playoffs 5v5

TOI%

1. Nurse 51.0%
2. Parayko 43.9
3. Pesce 42.2
4. Barrie 41.7
5. Letang 41.3
6. Orolov 41.2
7. Morrissey 41.1
8. Toews 41.1
9. Girard 41.1
10. Rielly 40.9

xGF% (min 50minutes)

1. Rielly 72.5%
2. Barrie 70.5%
3. McAvoy 70.4%
4. Girard 69.6%
5. Makar 67.2%

XGF% relative to team

1. Edmundson +16.9
2. Chara +12.8
3. Jensen +11.5
4. McAvoy +11.1
5. Rielly +9.9

Points per 60min

1. Hedman 3.57
2. Graves 3.12
3. McDonagh 2.21
4. McAvoy 2.20
5. Mayfield 2.11
6. Letang 2.09
7. Morrissey 2.00
8. Rielly 1.97
9. Makar 1.96
10. Ellis 1.81

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

I’m all I’m favour of re-signing Rielly but what $ amount makes sense? I don’t think he should be making that much more than Muzzin & Brodie

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Who do we move Mo for, and could we get OVECHKIN......

Seriously, can we enjoy some success without this kind of discussion.

Brutal, save this for after we win everything. OR...like my good pal, says, Borje Salming, if we get past this hump, the Canadiens, we are taking it all.

Please stop these discussions, I have never been one for policing threads, but man, my foot is down.

Lets talk about the ten million Jack Campbell deserves, if we want to swerving into these negative areas.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Who do we move Mo for, and could we get OVECHKIN......

Seriously, can we enjoy some success without this kind of discussion.

Brutal, save this for after we win everything. OR...like my good pal, says, Borje Salming, if we get past this hump, the Canadiens, we are taking it all.

Please stop these discussions, I have never been one for policing threads, but man, my foot is down.

Lets talk about the ten million Jack Campbell deserves, if we want to swerving into these negative areas.
+1. Was just thinking the same thing.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Muzzin & Holl play the toughest minutes though...

Pretty even split between the two pairs.

Which is a first for rielly - he's played elite tough minutes every year since his 3rd year in the league, until this year where there's finally a 2nd pair to share the load.

Reactions: The Apologist

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Pretty even split between the two pairs.

Which is a first for rielly - he's played elite tough minutes every year since his 3rd year in the league, until this year where there's finally a 2nd pair to share the load.

I’m too lazy to look at the zone starts but I feel like Muzzin/Holl would have more d zone starts and Rielly/Brodie more o zone. But don’t quote me

Ad

Ad

Ad