Which top ten NHL cities are the most hockey crazy right now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Connor

Aug 17, 2015
The Leafs have 10x the fan base size than the Oilers.
Leafs fans pay more (support) than Oilers fans for tickets.
Their team is worth more than twice what the Oilers are.
They have better attendance numbers than the Oilers.
During the past decade in which both teams sucked the Leafs didn't have a bunch of 1st overall gifts to sell hope to their fanbase, yet the fanbase stayed loyal even though Toronto has far more entertainment alternatives to turn to.
The Leafs have a longer and richer history.
The area is home to the highest concentration of leagues and teams in the world.
Highest concentration of hockey centric media.
Produces the most NHL players.

Yet you had the Leafs 4th and Edmonton 1st, so asking why I have Calgary over Edmonton like that is outrageous is pretty rich.

FYI, the franchise value difference between Calgary and Edmonton is almost nothing, in the ballpark of 15M, both are small market teams who's fans think they are bigger players than they are. The Canucks on the other hand, who seem to be disregarded by both Alberta fanbases, is worth hundreds of millions more, and also had better attendance numbers according to the NHL.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2999539/h...-see-an-edmonton-oilers-game-at-rogers-place/

Oilers ticket upper bowl $136

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/...cket-prices-for-2017-18-season-eat-it-stubhub

Leaf ticket upper bowl $108

Forbes Oilers

https://www.forbes.com/teams/edmonton-oilers/

Forbes Leafs

https://www.forbes.com/teams/toronto-maple-leafs/

Seating Capacity

Oilers have had 100% capacity while the Leafs have been at 102% (being consistently over capacity should have the fire marshals all over them)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_attendance_figures

Longer and richer history? Which franchise's past is talked about more?

With greater population comes a greater amount of teams and people to sell tickets to.

Edmonton as a whole is much more hockey crazy than any other city in the NHL IMO. No team would have the continued support from the fans with the complete lack of success the team has had on the ice until recently. It boarders stupidity but the Oilers' fan base has not been deterred.

McFlash

Apr 8, 2017
[NHL2][/NHL2]
The Leafs have 10x the fan base size than the Oilers.
Leafs fans pay more (support) than Oilers fans for tickets.
Their team is worth more than twice what the Oilers are.
They have better attendance numbers than the Oilers.
During the past decade in which both teams sucked the Leafs didn't have a bunch of 1st overall gifts to sell hope to their fanbase, yet the fanbase stayed loyal even though Toronto has far more entertainment alternatives to turn to.
The Leafs have a longer and richer history.
The area is home to the highest concentration of leagues and teams in the world.
Highest concentration of hockey centric media.
Produces the most NHL players.

Yet you had the Leafs 4th and Edmonton 1st, so asking why I have Calgary over Edmonton like that is outrageous is pretty rich.

FYI, the franchise value difference between Calgary and Edmonton is almost nothing, in the ballpark of 15M, both are small market teams who's fans think they are bigger players than they are. The Canucks on the other hand, who seem to be disregarded by both Alberta fanbases, is worth hundreds of millions more, and also had better attendance numbers according to the NHL.

Richer history eh...... I almost feel bad for the Leafs that the Oilers in just 37 years may already have a more impressive line of players in their history then the Leafs in 100 years.....I mean the leafs do have more cups....buts thats kind of expected..100 + years and all and 6 team leagues

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
1. Edmonton
2. Winnipeg
3. Calgary
4. Toronto
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal
7. Vancouver
8. Buffalo
9. Pittsburgh
10. Minnesota

How can anyone think an American city would finish ahead of a Canadian city? Hockey is a religion in Canada. The Prairies are ground zero for hockey. Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary eat, sleep, and breathe hockey for 8 months of the year. Toronto finally has a good team, but there are too many entertainment options to make it #1. The Senators I assume would be very popular, especially coming off such a good season. Montreal is still a contender. Vancouver is dead last, since the Canucks have been horrible the last few seasons. Buffalo is an upcoming team, and Western NY has always had the best ratings for hockey. Pittsburgh is CUp champions, and ratings are always massive for the NHL. Minnesota produces the most hockey players of any state, and loves the Wild.

Last edited:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
[NHL2][/NHL2]

Richer history eh...... I almost feel bad for the Leafs that the Oilers in just 37 years may already have a more impressive line of players in their history then the Leafs in 100 years.....I mean the leafs do have more cups....buts thats kind of expected..100 + years and all and 6 team leagues
People in glass houses...I couldn't care less about what the Oilers did decades ago, just as what the Leafs did before that. It's irrelevant. Both teams have been especially awful over the last decade. I care about what's happening now. Neither fanbase should be puffing their chest out with history that was a lifetime ago when in the last decade you'd be hard pressed to find two organizations that have been worse.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
3. Edmonton(Arena remained full for some TOUGH times between 2006-2016)
5. Calgary(Also loyal, although didn't endure what Edmonton had to)

You sure about that? Not everything is measured in wins and losses.

Calgary had to ensure some damn tough times. In the early 90s we couldn't afford to keep together a cup / president's trophy winning core that featured guys like Nieuwendyk, MacInnis, Gilmour, in their absolute primes. In the early late 90s 2000s we had inept management that traded away Marc Savard for a fringer KHLer, bought out Martin St. Louis, thought Craig Anderson wasn't worth signing to a contract after being OHL goaltender of the year, and generally drafted extremely poorly.

In 2004 we made the playoffs for the first time in ages and it was the most crazy you can imagine.

And then we were a good team for the next five seasons, but couldn't get over the hump. Okay, **** happens. In 2010 we missed the playoffs as the 16th best RS team in the NHL (Montreal was 17th, but made the playoffs in the East.. yeah.. that year they made the ECF off the back of Halak). Tough pill to swallow with an old team with its cup window dwindling away. But what was an even tougher pill to swallow? Obnoxious Oilers fans already proclaiming their team a future dynasty off the back of The Fall For Taylor Hall. That was the same year we traded our first round pick for Olli Jokinen.

You can call the Edmonton fans loyal, but make no mistake, they were being sold on nothing less than a tank job. A tank job that got them three first overalls, then a seventh overall, then a so-called NHL-rady 3rd overall, and then eventually, Connor McDavid...

So if you want to talk about loyalty through tough times, you have to factor in media narratives. Oiler fanss, over the 2010-2016 stretch, never once heard about how they weren't going to be a future dynasty. Whether it was Hall-Hopkins-Eberle, or "NHL-ready 2C Draisaitl, or Future Norris Winner Justin Schultz, or "I know a little something about winning" from their president/GM... they were consistently fed a tale about how their tanking would pay out.

Flames also missed the playoffs in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014... know what we had to hear?

Core Too Old and Finished (Iginla, Kiprusoff, Bouwmeester, Cammalleri)
Can't score now, how will it look when these guys are gone (the Brent Sutter Flames played BORING hockey)
No Future (Despite Backlund, Despite Brodie, despite Baertschi, despite Gaudreau, Despite Monahan... every year it was all about how Hopkins, Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Schultz, and Dubnyk were going to tear the NHL apart.. 1st Overalls are the only way to replace Iginla and only the OIlers got them)
Roman Cervenka is the saviour.
Reto Berra is the saviour.
Feaster is an idiot for that ROR offer sheet.

I maintain that it was tougher to be a Flames fan at the climax of the Brent Sutter era (2012 or so) than it was to have hope fed to you by the media, and that's what the Oilers had. Bad in the standings, but they had no doubt they were destined for 80s Islanders status at minimum. We had to hear doubts about whether we would see a playoff game again this decade.

So what's a tougher time. Perennially 17-to-18th place with no perceived future, or perennially 25th-30th place with the promise of greatness to come?

Despite all that, I challenge you to show me a single fanbase's non-HF fan forum that is as active as Calgarypuck. Calgary's few HFBoards members may not go there, for reasons, but that's probably the most active hockey website after HFBoards. Compare to a website like Leafsconnected.
Most active users online in one day at Leafsconnected - 679.
Most active users online at Calgarypuck in one day - 1,717
Now consider the population difference between Southern Ontario and Southern Alberta.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
All of the above said, EDM is probably the more hockey-crazed city overall, at the grassroots level. We're so close to the mountains that you can hit up Nakiska on the weekend and go skiing/snowboarding. Edmonton, like Winnipeg, is in the middle of nowhere so it's hockey-or-bust.

McFlash

Apr 8, 2017
All of the above said, EDM is probably the more hockey-crazed city overall, at the grassroots level. We're so close to the mountains that you can hit up Nakiska on the weekend and go skiing/snowboarding. Edmonton, like Winnipeg, is in the middle of nowhere so it's hockey-or-bust.

Wait Edmonton is an hour further from the mountains then Calgary....lol learn geography much ?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People bringing-up Toronto's city size is silly. They were selling-out with the NHL's worst ownership in history when it wasn't Canada's biggest city.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
1. Edmonton
2. Winnipeg
3. Calgary
4. Toronto
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal
7. Vancouver
8. Buffalo
9. Pittsburgh
10. Minnesota

How can anyone think an American city would finish ahead of a Canadian city? Hockey is a religion in Canada. The Prairies are ground zero for hockey. Edmonton, Winnipeg and Calgary eat, sleep, and breathe hockey for 8 months of the year. Toronto finally has a good team, but there are too many entertainment options to make it #1. The Senators I assume would be very popular, especially coming off such a good season. Montreal is still a contender. Vancouver is dead last, since the Canucks have been horrible the last few seasons. Buffalo is an upcoming team, and Western NY has always had the best ratings for hockey. Pittsburgh is CUp champions, and ratings are always massive for the NHL. Minnesota produces the most hockey players of any state, and loves the Wild.

Wouldn't having by far the most sports competition of any Canadian city and still selling out with the NHL's highest ticket prices and being easily the #1 sport in town make a better case than a place like Winnipeg?
No disrespect to Winnipeg, but there's nothing to do there in the winter months. It's a rather easy sell to say the least.
They were dead-last in 15-16 in the NHL and still sold out despite all the competition.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I don't know how anybody doesn't have Minnesota in their top 5. Hockey is played at every level in Minnesota. Every park has a hockey rink in the winter with countless people playing games everyday. Neighbors set up rinks that overlap plot lines just so they can have a bigger sheet of ice. It's literally everywhere you look in the winter.

So now its a city?

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Wouldn't having by far the most sports competition of any Canadian city and still selling out with the NHL's highest ticket prices and being easily the #1 sport in town make a better case than a place like Winnipeg?
No disrespect to Winnipeg, but there's nothing to do there in the winter months. It's a rather easy sell to say the least.
They were dead-last in 15-16 in the NHL and still sold out despite all the competition.

Not really the population difference is huge so in terms of population per major sports team they would still have way more people then Winnipeg to sell to.

Winnipeg metropolitan area has a population of around 800,000. They have a NHL, and a CFL team. That is around 400,000 people for each team.

Toronto metropolitan area has a population of close to 6,000,000. They have a NHL, CFL, NBA, MLB, and a MLS team. That is about 1,200,000 people per team.

So they have about 3 time more people for each sports team then Winnipeg has.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
1. Edmonton
2. Winnipeg
3. Calgary
4. Toronto
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal
7. Vancouver
8. Buffalo
9. Pittsburgh
10. Minnesota

The Senators should absolutely not be listed in the top 10, probably not even the top 20. They couldn't sell out in the playoffs, not even the eastern conference finals!

All we kept hearing was well the arena is not located in a prime area! Public transportation isn't ideal! I'm sorry, I don't buy it. Hockey crazy fans would find a way to go.

To say all the Canadian cities are more hockey crazy than all US cities is ignorant.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
The Senators should absolutely not be listed in the top 10, probably not even the top 20. They couldn't sell out in the playoffs, not even the eastern conference finals!

All we kept hearing was well the arena is not located in a prime area! Public transportation isn't ideal! I'm sorry, I don't buy it. Hockey crazy fans would find a way to go.

To say all the Canadian cities are more hockey crazy than all US cities is ignorant.

Sens have many problem.
1) Yes the arena location sucks. For many it is probably better to go out to a bar and watch in the playoffs. You still get the fan atmosphere but it is cheaper and closer to home.

2) Ottawa is a government town. A lot of our major business are government. Government employees are NOT allowed to accept tickets to games. We don't have major corporations buying up all our tickets.

3) I am not sure if you have heard of the phoenix pay system but it is a complete mess. The phoenix pay system is how government employees are paid and it does not work. 80,000+ people have not been paid correctly. people are being underpaid or simply not being paid at all for month in a row. Many government workers don't have the disposable income to drop $500 at a game. Not when they are at risk of not being paid because the system is ****.

Fans might not be going to the arena but we are still watching. We watch in bars or at home. We are crazy about hockey we just rather not go to the arena.

And honestly i am surprised so many places sell out. The viewer experience is way better on your coach in front of the TV with announcers and replays.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sens have many problem.
1) Yes the arena location sucks. For many it is probably better to go out to a bar and watch in the playoffs. You still get the fan atmosphere but it is cheaper and closer to home.

2) Ottawa is a government town. A lot of our major business are government. Government employees are NOT allowed to accept tickets to games. We don't have major corporations buying up all our tickets.

3) I am not sure if you have heard of the phoenix pay system but it is a complete mess. The phoenix pay system is how government employees are paid and it does not work. 80,000+ people have not been paid correctly. people are being underpaid or simply not being paid at all for month in a row. Many government workers don't have the disposable income to drop $500 at a game. Not when they are at risk of not being paid because the system is ****.

Fans might not be going to the arena but we are still watching. We watch in bars or at home. We are crazy about hockey we just rather not go to the arena.

And honestly i am surprised so many places sell out. The viewer experience is way better on your coach in front of the TV with announcers and replays.

In summation, Ottawa is not a crazy hockey town. The only reason why Ottawa is even mentioned is because it is a Canadian city. If an American city had these same issues people would rap the fan base apart.

"The Ottawa-Gatineau Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) grew by 5.5 percent to 1,323,783 in 2016."

What's the excuse for the other 1,250,000 non-government emoloyees not going to the games?

Hockey is also far more entertaining in-person than on tv. Im sure other teams have issues with the location of an arena and/or public transportation but their fans find a way to go.

It's an insult to hockey to even mention Ottawa in the top 10 fan bases.

Last edited:

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
In summation, Ottawa is not a crazy hockey town. The only reason why Ottawa is even mentioned is because it is a Canadian city. If an American city had these same issues people would rap the fan base apart.

"The Ottawa-Gatineau Census Metropolitan Area (CMA) grew by 5.5 percent to 1,323,783 in 2016."

What's the excuse for the other 1,250,000 non-government emoloyees not going to the games?

Hockey is also far more entertaining in-person than on tv. Im sure other teams have issues with the location of an arena and/or public transportation but their fans find a way to go.

It's an insult to hockey to even mention Ottawa in the top 10 fan bases.

You got to be joking for the bolded. Hockey is clearly better on TV.

Again our fans are watching. It is not like they just ignore the games. We just choose not to pay so much to go so far to watch a game we can watch at the nearest bar or on our coach.

Our city is hockey crazy. It is more then just NHL. Outdoor rinks are all over the place in the winter. Kids are playing ball hockey on the street in the summer. Everyone hockey fan or not knows the top sens players. Does not matter how good or bad we are you can't escape it if you levae your house with any regularity.

And during major hockey events things just shut down. I was in highschool during the last Olympics. Classes stopped and watched when the finals and semifinals where on.

Hockey is basically the only sport we care about in Ottawa. Sure we support our CFL team but most people can't name a single player form that team. The city as a whole does not care about any sport other then hockey.

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
How can anyone think an American city would finish ahead of a Canadian city? Hockey is a religion in Canada.

If that were the case, every single Canadian NHL arena should be sold out for every single game, every single season, with a waiting list for season tickets.

And yet...they're not.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So now its a city?

More than half the thread is making that same mistake... people should just say the Twin Cities.

Ultimately, I won't pretend to know where the Twin Cities should rank vs Canadian cities, but there should be just no way any other American city should be ranked higher with how much hockey is in the culture here top to bottom.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
You got to be joking for the bolded. Hockey is clearly better on TV.

Again our fans are watching. It is not like they just ignore the games. We just choose not to pay so much to go so far to watch a game we can watch at the nearest bar or on our coach.

Our city is hockey crazy. It is more then just NHL. Outdoor rinks are all over the place in the winter. Kids are playing ball hockey on the street in the summer. Everyone hockey fan or not knows the top sens players. Does not matter how good or bad we are you can't escape it if you levae your house with any regularity.

And during major hockey events things just shut down. I was in highschool during the last Olympics. Classes stopped and watched when the finals and semifinals where on.

Hockey is basically the only sport we care about in Ottawa. Sure we support our CFL team but most people can't name a single player form that team. The city as a whole does not care about any sport other then hockey.

Agree to disagree. But how do you know the game isn't as exciting in-person when Ottawa fans watch from their couches? As a Pens' fan, I have nothing against Ottawa or anything. It's more the notion that ooo well they are Canadian, they're better fans. I strongly disagree. It just sounds like a bunch of excuses. I'm waiting for the well it snows here a lot! We don't want to get cold attending games.

Last edited:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
In this thread, I learned that Ottawa fans support their team by not attending games.

Interesting.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
http://globalnews.ca/news/2999539/h...-see-an-edmonton-oilers-game-at-rogers-place/

Oilers ticket upper bowl $136

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/...cket-prices-for-2017-18-season-eat-it-stubhub

Leaf ticket upper bowl $108

Forbes Oilers

https://www.forbes.com/teams/edmonton-oilers/

Forbes Leafs

https://www.forbes.com/teams/toronto-maple-leafs/

Seating Capacity

Oilers have had 100% capacity while the Leafs have been at 102% (being consistently over capacity should have the fire marshals all over them)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_attendance_figures

Longer and richer history? Which franchise's past is talked about more?

With greater population comes a greater amount of teams and people to sell tickets to.

Edmonton as a whole is much more hockey crazy than any other city in the NHL IMO. No team would have the continued support from the fans with the complete lack of success the team has had on the ice until recently. It boarders stupidity but the Oilers' fan base has not been deterred.
Agreed 100%. Edmonton is the best hockey city in Canada without a doubt IMO. People there absolutely love the Oilers, and it's not in a trendy bandwagon way it's just straight passion. Unreal youth hockey programs too

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

There are over 6,000,000 people in the Toronto area. Winnipeg has some of the highest ticket prices, and is a blue collar town with 800,000 people in the area. For every one person in Winnipeg, there are 7.5 people in Toronto. That is why Edmonton, with 1,250,000 in the area has a better case than Winnipeg or Toronto. They sold out despite being the worst team of the past decade.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Agreed 100%. Edmonton is the best hockey city in Canada without a doubt IMO. People there absolutely love the Oilers, and it's not in a trendy bandwagon way it's just straight passion. Unreal youth hockey programs too

That's debatable. People in Winnipeg love the Jets too. The only difference, is Winnipeg has 2/3 of the population and not as much money due to the Oil boom of the past 20 years. Winnipeg has not even done very well since 2011, and they still are crazy for the Jets, and have a waiting list.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
NYC is not a hockey city.
Distant 4th

But, the hockey fans in the NY/NJ metro area are as diehard and knowledgeble as any in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad