Which top ten NHL cities are the most hockey crazy right now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Doesn't Buffalo get by far the strongest out of market ratings for hockey compared to any other US market?

I suspect it's local ratings are also near the absolute top, if not also the top for a team out of the playoffs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Were you even alive? Regardless, in terms of this stuff people have a short memory. Especially after how long ago Harold messed with the leafs fans. People changed their tune quickly when they said "I will never support the nhl ever again", after the 2012 lockout and the nhl came back better than before, just like us Oilers fans will eventually forget about the decade of darkness which we endured up until the 15' season at a bare minimum. Lol. What I'm saying is, who cares about what leafs fans endured in the Ballard era. Was 8 decades ago.

Yes I was alive and it wasn't 8 decades ago.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

Agreed. I want to see how well the Blackhawks draw when they aren't cup contenders. Thats when you find out how legit a city is as a
" hockeytown".

Chicago, Pittsburgh and Boston all get disqualified then because they didn't sell out games before their Cups.

Some of us have followed hockey before 2009, 2010 and 2011.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Edmonton
Toronto
Montreal
Buffalo
Boston
Minnesota
Winnipeg
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Nashville

Some places obviously don't stay top ten when the teams suck, but right now these are the top ten hockey mad locales.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Anyone not putting Montreal first needs to realize this: In no other city than Montreal has a league commissionner been physically in danger due to hockey events. :sarcasm:

I know, that was long ago. But that alone should seal the deal as far as who the "craziest" fans are. :laugh:

Even without these events, I think Mtl should be first tbh. Hockey is the only true sport there, just come here during the playoffs. You hear about it everywhere, at every corner store, you see night workers asking the cashier the score (less true now with wifi available everywhere, but they still talk about it). That might be true for Toronto too, but when I was there, the magic just didn't seem as big. Actually, the funniest thing is that corner stores (which have been serving beer to fans for decades in Mtl ;) ) almost don't exist in Toronto (due to laws about alcohol), and probably in Edmonton, so it might be different.

I'm not even a Canadiens fan btw. I despite them as a former Nordiques fan, now a Flyers fans during the... whatever, it may last forever at this point. But I have no choice but to admit how big hockey is in Montreal.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Why are people putting Vancouver in this list? Everytime I go there it seems like the Canucks are an afterthought.

Sounds like you're not coming here during Hockey season. If its the time of year that the team is playing, it's basically the only sport in town -- even though we also have a soccer and football team. All any of the local sports media talk about is the Canucks.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Between all 3 of those teams, I believe what you're witnessing are fans being upset (and rightfully so) at the content stench of mediocrity & self inflicted damage, cause by incompetent GM's, and Head Coaches/Managers.

Therefore, I can't blame people when they say "I decline to further spend my money when the front office and team have this non-serious mentality." Sure, fans will go for the Wings to check out the new arena, but as long as Holland & Blashill are around, things won't change for the better. And with Chris Ilitch being solely a bottom line/profits owner (unlike his father), the only way it seems to get his attention to make long overdue changes, would be to hit him in the pocketbook...same as the Tigers.

Interesting to hear that. As a Leafs fan in Windsor, all I heard the last 20 years is how great Holland is, etc., etc. How Leafs fans should be jealous, and Wings fans "feel sorry" for us Leafs fans... First off, we don't want, nor need, sympathy - especially from Detroit fans.

All things go in cycles though. It's Detroit's time to have a down period. Did Holland run out of luck with his scouts hitting late round homeruns? Did the years of late 1st rnd picks finally catch up to them? Has there been changes in their farm system that is not developing players like in the past?

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
There was a time, not so long ago that I would have had the 7 Canadian teams in the top 7, but Ottawa doesn't deserve it anymore after the playoffs.

1. Montreal(Huge arena, always full, craziest fans)
2. Toronto(Fiercely loyal despite the last 50 years)
3. Edmonton(Arena remained full for some TOUGH times between 2006-2016)
4. Winnipeg(Deafening fans that literally never stop chanting)
5. Calgary(Also loyal, although didn't endure what Edmonton had to)
6. Vancouver(Weakest of the Canadian markets that you would trust to be full in the playoffs)
7. Detroit(Yeah it's Hockeytown. The Red Wings are HUGE in Michigan)
8. Philadelphia(Loud and loyal, through thick and thin)
9. Minnesota(Hockey is ingrained in the state's culture, Wild need to build a tradition)
10. Buffalo(Also currently standing by their team through some lean years)

HM: NY Rangers, Nashville, San Jose

No respect for bandwagon cities like Chicago, DC, Boston and Pittsburgh. Also the Flyers are definitely #3 in Philly. The Sixers have been playing to empty houses for years. Even in the Iverson days the Flyers were more popular.

Anybody putting the Hawks near the top is kidding themselves.

Chicago right now is a Cubs town. Before that even with the Hawks winning Cups it was a bears town.

Cubs
Bears
Bulls
Blackhawks

Sox

Spoken like teenagers/twenty-somethings, with no understanding of the historical roles these teams have had in Chicago. Keep on parroting that BS, and continue on in your ignorance. :shakehead

edit: Love the intro to this Youtube video. Note the relatively sparse crowd for Ernie's 500th.

Last edited:

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
A better way to measure how mad a hockey city is would be to survey random people and ask them how much they know about hockey and their team. I.E. Name 5 players, What is offside, icing etc...

Guarantee no american team would be ahead of any of the Canadian teams.

It's lunacy to compare American hockey cities to Canadian. It'd be like comparing NFL fans in the US to CFL fans in Canada. Sure, Canadians support their CFL teams well but the majority of people couldn't name a single CFL player in their home city (I can't name one Stampeder since Burris besides a guy from high school). Yes, there are fans that can name plenty of CFL'ers, but the majority of the city? Not a chance. That's what American cities are like with Hockey.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Edmonton takes the cake, even in other Canadian cities the arena would've been half empty after about the 6th or 7th straight year of missing the playoffs and keep in mind the Oilers were charging sky high ticket prices to watch a bottom 5 team in the 2nd oldest arena in the league (tickets were more expensive than the Miami Heat when they were NBA champions with LeBron James, lol).

Canucks have missed the playoffs only for a couple of years now and you're already starting to noticeably see empty seats.

Canadian's love their hockey, but in Northern Alberta in particular I think it goes to another level.

Cities like Toronto and Montreal are passionate for sure, but they are huge cosmopolitan cities that have all sorts of other things going on and in Toronto in particular other sports that are rapidly gaining in popularity. In Edmonton, it's a blue collar town and it's hockey ... all the time, all day. It's like what football is to Texas.

Calgary is a bit different too in that it's a more corporate city and a larger part of the population is from originally from somewhere else, so the Flames are more of a bandwagon thing. There is definitely a core, loyal fan base, but there is also a large chunk of the city that only really gives a poop if it's an excuse to party (i.e.: will only give a crap if the team is half way good).

Last edited:

412 Others

5Cups beats 2Cups
Mar 24, 2009
Black + Gold = Pittsburgh
fans in cities with metro populations > 5M (and in one case >20M) are bragging about their attendance vs fans with a fraction of the population and same seating capacity :laugh:

congrats on being sooooo "die-hard".... cuz that's what it is.... your "die-hardness"

IwanttomoveoutWest*

fans in cities with metro populations > 5M (and in one case >20M) are bragging about their attendance vs fans with a fraction of the population and same seating capacity :laugh:

congrats on being sooooo "die-hard".... cuz that's what it is.... your "die-hardness"

This doesn't make sense though. Chicago and Boston didn't sell out for over a decade and they're between 5-10 million in metro population (Boston 4.8/Chicago 9.5)

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
It's lunacy to compare American hockey cities to Canadian. It'd be like comparing NFL fans in the US to CFL fans in Canada. Sure, Canadians support their CFL teams well but the majority of people couldn't name a single CFL player in their home city (I can't name one Stampeder since Burris besides a guy from high school). Yes, there are fans that can name plenty of CFL'ers, but the majority of the city? Not a chance. That's what American cities are like with Hockey.

Never actually been to the US before, have you?

:help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad