Which top ten NHL cities are the most hockey crazy right now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I'm curious to hear some of the arguments that Calgary is a more hockey mad city than Edmonton. The Edmonton area produces more NHL players and coaches (Jarome Iginla, Dion Phaneuf, and other great flames were from Edmonton), the city invested way more into the team, the history is much richer even going back to the Oil Kings or WHA days, Edmonton had arguably the greatest hockey dynasty of all time, the fanbase is hungrier and more rabid in Edmonton, we started the outdoor game trend with the original heritage classic, the playoff atmospheres in 1997, 1998, 2006 and 2017 were incredible and will continue to be for the next decade, we do that whole sing the anthem thing (or even the US anthem), the Oilers currently employ probably the greatest player of all time, and have the absolute best young player in the world, we sold more tickets despite our team being the worst in the NHL for a decade, our ticket prices are more expensive than Calgary, the Oilers franchise is valued higher than the Flames franchise, etc. etc. . I just can't think of a single point where Calgary is ahead of the Oilers when it comes to love for their respective NHL teams.

I am absolutely biased no doubt, I am from Edmonton but I've lived in Vancouver and currently live in Montreal. I've never seen people care so much for a hockey team as much as Edmonton does. Most fans aren't fair weather but quite hardcore.

Edmonton is more hockey mad than Calgary imo, but not by much. Calgary loves the Flames, no question, but I cant imagine we would all stick around like Edmonton fans did until Connor came around.

I hate the Oilers as a team but I do respect their fans commitment.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I'm curious to hear some of the arguments that Calgary is a more hockey mad city than Edmonton. The Edmonton area produces more NHL players and coaches (Jarome Iginla, Dion Phaneuf, and other great flames were from Edmonton), the city invested way more into the team, the history is much richer even going back to the Oil Kings or WHA days, Edmonton had arguably the greatest hockey dynasty of all time, the fanbase is hungrier and more rabid in Edmonton, we started the outdoor game trend with the original heritage classic, the playoff atmospheres in 1997, 1998, 2006 and 2017 were incredible and will continue to be for the next decade, we do that whole sing the anthem thing (or even the US anthem), the Oilers currently employ probably the greatest player of all time, and have the absolute best young player in the world, we sold more tickets despite our team being the worst in the NHL for a decade, our ticket prices are more expensive than Calgary, the Oilers franchise is valued higher than the Flames franchise, etc. etc. . I just can't think of a single point where Calgary is ahead of the Oilers when it comes to love for their respective NHL teams.

I am absolutely biased no doubt, I am from Edmonton but I've lived in Vancouver and currently live in Montreal. I've never seen people care so much for a hockey team as much as Edmonton does. Most fans aren't fair weather but quite hardcore.
Not to mention the many blogs and website devoted to writing about the Oilers

Then there's the whole "analytics" of hockey... a guy by the name Vic Ferrari who is an Oiler fan, is considered the "godfather" of the science (I believe he came up with the term corsi)
He used to post here...google him
Also mudcrutch79 aka Tyler Dellow was an Oiler fan (another former poster heavy into analytics and worked for the Oilers...early adopter of the science)

Insomniac99

Oct 26, 2006
Orchard Park, NY
Oh my god WHAT?!

I've lived in the bay area. San Jose is about 25th in the league.

I concur. I lived in San Jose 2 years ago. While they definitely had more people talking about hockey than I anticipated, it certainly wasn't a lot when compared to traditional markets. I'd never see hockey on the TVs in any of the bars I'd try. It was almost always basketball. And when it wasn't basketball, it was football. Even soccer was bigger than hockey over there.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Nashville is definitely a good shout here. I have a fair amount of Nashville friends and the Preds were all they talked about/all over snapchat during the playoffs. It remains to be seen how much that translates going forward, but it definitely existed and is current.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Not to mention the many blogs and website devoted to writing about the Oilers

Then there's the whole "analytics" of hockey... a guy by the name Vic Ferrari who is an Oiler fan, is considered the "godfather" of the science (I believe he came up with the term corsi)
He used to post here...google him
Also mudcrutch79 aka Tyler Dellow was an Oiler fan (another former poster heavy into analytics and worked for the Oilers...early adopter of the science)

So the guy that decided to measure possession by shots rather than time is from Edmonton. Not exactly something to brag about.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Why are people putting Vancouver in this list? Everytime I go there it seems like the Canucks are an afterthought.

Agree.

Generally speaking Vancouverites aren't "hockey-crazy", it's more of a regional fan base from the Island extending deep into the interior including hockey hotbeds like the Okanagan (where, for example, may NHLers spend their summer and many teams and exPros host camps). Many BC folks from the Kootenay region are "almost Albertans" and will switch allegiances Eastward to Flames or Oilers if the Nucks are down.

It's still high summer in Vancouver, one of the worlds most beautiful cities. Their team is at best "in transition" with very little to be excited about.

Meanwhile, by comparison, in Edmonton they are reporting on minutiae from the current camps, charity events, and interviewing any Oiler or potential Oiler about their golf swing or whatever. I assume Winnipeg is close as much like Edmonton it's a cold-in-winter, boring (sorry), Canadian Prairie city with an exciting young team.

Toronto and Montreal make the list because... they're Toronto and Montreal.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia and NY shouldn't be on this list. They get no air time on their radio stations.

Buffalo, Boston, Minnesota, Detroit and Pittsburgh are all significantly ahead

It is your goal to dismiss all things flyers haha. When I lived in philly for a decade I'd say I saw more flyers jerseys shirts caps and tags then eagles on non sundays. There is a very loyal and large flyer fan base. It's just not going to overtake football or basketball.

When we finished last in the league we were selling out most games. I am interested to see what happens in Pittsburgh during their next drought. I imagine they did a better job getting kids into it and marketing this time around. For now though they may be one of the tops if not the top. When they are in the cup final half of the city is watching.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I'm curious to hear some of the arguments that Calgary is a more hockey mad city than Edmonton. The Edmonton area produces more NHL players and coaches (Jarome Iginla, Dion Phaneuf, Jay Bouwmeester, Daymond Langkow, and other great flames were from Edmonton), the city invested way more into the team, the history is much richer even going back to the Oil Kings or WHA days, Edmonton had arguably the greatest hockey dynasty of all time, the fanbase is hungrier and more rabid in Edmonton, we started the outdoor game trend with the original heritage classic, the playoff atmospheres in 1997, 1998, 2006 and 2017 were incredible and will continue to be for the next decade, we do that whole sing the anthem thing (or even the US anthem), the Oilers currently employ probably the greatest player of all time, and have the absolute best young player in the world, we sold more tickets despite our team being the worst in the NHL for a decade, our ticket prices are more expensive than Calgary, the Oilers franchise is valued higher than the Flames franchise, etc. etc. . I just can't think of a single point where Calgary is ahead of the Oilers when it comes to love for their respective NHL teams.

The Leafs have 10x the fan base size than the Oilers.
Leafs fans pay more (support) than Oilers fans for tickets.
Their team is worth more than twice what the Oilers are.
They have better attendance numbers than the Oilers.
During the past decade in which both teams sucked the Leafs didn't have a bunch of 1st overall gifts to sell hope to their fanbase, yet the fanbase stayed loyal even though Toronto has far more entertainment alternatives to turn to.
The Leafs have a longer and richer history.
The area is home to the highest concentration of leagues and teams in the world.
Highest concentration of hockey centric media.
Produces the most NHL players.

Yet you had the Leafs 4th and Edmonton 1st, so asking why I have Calgary over Edmonton like that is outrageous is pretty rich.

FYI, the franchise value difference between Calgary and Edmonton is almost nothing, in the ballpark of 15M, both are small market teams who's fans think they are bigger players than they are. The Canucks on the other hand, who seem to be disregarded by both Alberta fanbases, is worth hundreds of millions more, and also had better attendance numbers according to the NHL.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I'm curious to hear some of the arguments that Calgary is a more hockey mad city than Edmonton. The Edmonton area produces more NHL players and coaches (Jarome Iginla, Dion Phaneuf, Jay Bouwmeester, Daymond Langkow, and other great flames were from Edmonton), the city invested way more into the team, the history is much richer even going back to the Oil Kings or WHA days, Edmonton had arguably the greatest hockey dynasty of all time, the fanbase is hungrier and more rabid in Edmonton, we started the outdoor game trend with the original heritage classic, the playoff atmospheres in 1997, 1998, 2006 and 2017 were incredible and will continue to be for the next decade, we do that whole sing the anthem thing (or even the US anthem), the Oilers currently employ probably the greatest player of all time, and have the absolute best young player in the world, we sold more tickets despite our team being the worst in the NHL for a decade, our ticket prices are more expensive than Calgary, the Oilers franchise is valued higher than the Flames franchise, etc. etc. . I just can't think of a single point where Calgary is ahead of the Oilers when it comes to love for their respective NHL teams.

Agreed.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the link. Nashville, ignored yet again, was 8th on the list with 100.3% attendance during the regular season. The Preds should be in the top 10 list. In the playoffs, they had 50,000 fans outside the Bridge for one game. It probably hurt their TV ratings. How crazy is that?

The problem with that link (as well as show the flawed premise of the thread) is that it just shows one aspect of how you would measure this sort of thing. All that says is that people are willing to spend their money on tickets. It can certainly show some aspect of interest, but it doesn't tell the whole story. For example, Buffalo isn't at the top of that list, but theyre one of the top (if not the top in some years) in terms of viewers watching on tv.

With that said, I would still put Nashville in the top ten or close to it given their recent cup run.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Philly, Toronto, Nashville, and Montreal should be the top 4.

Philly is weird though. Comcast owns the team after their owner passed away. Philly is typically only on stations owned by Comcast and you can stream their games for free.

Pitt should not be on this list. I have never seen a local game blacked out for a playoff team in any sport and every game besides the Stanley cup game was blacked out for local stations in Pittsburgh. I guess the city is trying its hardest to milk the revenue from station deals/ticket revenue and stuff like that before pitt starts losing and they lose a lot of the fan base.

Montreal has always been a hot bed for hockey and it will continue even if they fall down to the bottom of the Atlantic.

Nashville is a new comer where hockey just looks fun to be in the stands for.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
So St. Louis needs some love here.

I am a bias homer but they SOLD OUT Busch stadium twice this year. Once for the Winter Classic of course and another for an Alumni game... Alumni game... Old guys on ice. Sold out a baseball stadium.

Seriously cannot drive down a highway in STL for longer than a few miles without seeing a Blues personalized plate or some kind of hockey bumper sticker on a car.

5 kids from St. Louis drafted in the first round in last years draft.

Hockey is HUGE here. Lately have great attendance numbers. Recent WCF appearance and two years in a row getting past the first round (hey that's good for us). So right now? Hockey is giant in STL and they are on the top 10. Easily competing with big markets and Canadian markets in terms of being a great area for hockey development. Definitely one of the best in the U.S. the past couple years.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Philly, Toronto, Nashville, and Montreal should be the top 4.

Philly is weird though. Comcast owns the team after their owner passed away. Philly is typically only on stations owned by Comcast and you can stream their games for free.

Pitt should not be on this list. I have never seen a local game blacked out for a playoff team in any sport and every game besides the Stanley cup game was blacked out for local stations in Pittsburgh. I guess the city is trying its hardest to milk the revenue from station deals/ticket revenue and stuff like that before pitt starts losing and they lose a lot of the fan base.

Montreal has always been a hot bed for hockey and it will continue even if they fall down to the bottom of the Atlantic.

Nashville is a new comer where hockey just looks fun to be in the stands for.

I'm with you on the Pitt hate, but I find it hard to believe. Are you sure they didn't block out local stations but it was on NBC? And for now Pitt may be the hockest place in the US.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I'm with you on the Pitt hate, but I find it hard to believe. Are you sure they didn't block out local stations but it was on NBC? And for now Pitt may be the hockest place in the US.

I don't get what he's saying. The playoffs were exclusively NBC after round one. No local broadcasts at all. And why would it even matter?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I think a true gauge of a hockey market and a good judgement on how much people in that particular city love hockey is looking at not just TV ratings, jersey sales, and sell outs, but their local commitment to youth hockey and other avenues of hockey. As a fan, I also think you need to have loyalty from your fanbase as well. IMO, I think looking at how much your fanbase supports the team in their lowest times.

Right now, I would have the list as my personal opinion:

1. Montreal
2. Toronto
3. Minnesota
4. Winnipeg
5. Calgary
6. Edmonton
7. Boston
8. Buffalo
9. Detroit
10. Vancouver

LOL, is this the list for overrated fan bases? If so, spot on@:laugh:

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
It is your goal to dismiss all things flyers haha. When I lived in philly for a decade I'd say I saw more flyers jerseys shirts caps and tags then eagles on non sundays. There is a very loyal and large flyer fan base. It's just not going to overtake football or basketball.

When we finished last in the league we were selling out most games. I am interested to see what happens in Pittsburgh during their next drought. I imagine they did a better job getting kids into it and marketing this time around. For now though they may be one of the tops if not the top. When they are in the cup final half of the city is watching.

Since the early 90s, the Flyers havent really been bad for more than a year at a time. You really see interest dwindle when you arent competitive for a few consecutive years. Have the Flyers even been bottom 5, aside from the JVR year?

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
So St. Louis needs some love here.

I am a bias homer but they SOLD OUT Busch stadium twice this year. Once for the Winter Classic of course and another for an Alumni game... Alumni game... Old guys on ice. Sold out a baseball stadium.

Seriously cannot drive down a highway in STL for longer than a few miles without seeing a Blues personalized plate or some kind of hockey bumper sticker on a car.

5 kids from St. Louis drafted in the first round in last years draft.

Hockey is HUGE here. Lately have great attendance numbers. Recent WCF appearance and two years in a row getting past the first round (hey that's good for us). So right now? Hockey is giant in STL and they are on the top 10. Easily competing with big markets and Canadian markets in terms of being a great area for hockey development. Definitely one of the best in the U.S. the past couple years.

With the rarity of an outdoor alumni game I'd imagine most of them sell tickets. The Bruins-Habs alumni game had an attendance of 42,193. The Blues' game was at 40,000 and change.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Nashville is definitely a good shout here. I have a fair amount of Nashville friends and the Preds were all they talked about/all over snapchat during the playoffs. It remains to be seen how much that translates going forward, but it definitely existed and is current.
I will note that it has been that way for years since the local owners took over and what was lacking was a good team and exciting playoff run.
The team sold out every regular season game this season and was out of the playoffs most of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad