Which top ten NHL cities are the most hockey crazy right now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The problem is that he is a notorious Flyers hater and seeing neutral fans list the city as a hockey city triggered him so hard he probably had an aneurysm. :laugh:

I'm sure he is just thrilled that..

Philadelphia was 6th in attendance in 2016-2017 despite being a non-playoff team.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph_season.php?lid=NHL1927&sid=2017

..and that Philadelphia had the 3rd highest ratings for the Finals for non-participating markets, behind only Buffalo and Minnesota.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...final-on-record-without-an-original-six-team/

...and I am sure it gives him great pleasure in knowing that the Flyers are one of two teams that have two top 10 best selling jerseys.

http://shop.nhl.com/pages/Top_Selling_Jerseys

:laugh:

Philedalphia is also the 5th or 6th largest U.S. city, so it makes sense that they are pulling those kinds of numbers just like New York does, simply because of the amount of people in the region. It's a good market, but their fans aren't crazy about hockey at the moment. I see the gear, I go to the games, I play hockey with Flyers fans, they aren't crazy about it because their team wasn't very good. Part of why I think they aren't crazy about it is because they have only recently declined. It's hard to be excited about something that is seemingly going in the wrong direction from where they were not too long ago. That's not to say they aren't on the right track or anything, but there isn't a buzz in the city about what the Flyers are or aren't doing. There would be or could be if the team goes on a streak/run, but that's true of most cities. They need that consistency to get the fans back into it a bit more.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The personal preferences of the radio hosts in Philadelphia, who at the moment happen to not be Hockey guys, is why you don't hear a lot about them on the radio. Twitter is where Flyers hockey is discussed amongst the real fans and there is a massive following with numerous excellent blogs (Sons of Penn, Broad Street Hockey, Philly is Flyer, etc) that have press credentials that provide great coverage. Personally the lackluster radio coverage doesn't bother me, because I don't listen to the radio anyway. I much prefer music when driving :)

You'll find hardcore fans everywhere. I think what the OP was asking for, and I could be mistaken, were teams that the city as a whole has focused on and is excited about. Which teams are pulling people in who weren't hockey fans before? Which teams are providing the best atmosphere at their arenas? Which team is getting the headlines in their city?

All thing being equal, the Flyers are probably the #4. You'll see it when the Sixers finally put it together. There's certainly a buzz about them. The Flyers have a small (comparatively speaking in the area) but dedicated base. Tell

The Flyers used to be ahead of the Sixers, but people seemed stoked about the Sixers now. It's nuts.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Outside of Hahn and Humpty I don't ever hear it mentioned. Granted, I moved out of the area (to the Philly market) so I don't get to listen as often as I used to. Boomer and Carton will chit chat about it here and then, but it's mostly Boomer mentioning the Rangers or particular players they know and then Carton pushes toward something else because he says hockey is boring and nobody cares.

Sadly, he's not wrong, even though I'm part of the small percentage of people who do.

Beningo and Roberts also talk about hockey from time to time. Francesa will not touch hockey with a 50 foot pole. A lot of Devils fans called up the week leading up to the draft and asked Francesa who he thought the Devils should take. His responses were as hilarious as you'd expect.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
You'll find hardcore fans everywhere. I think what the OP was asking for, and I could be mistaken, were teams that the city as a whole has focused on and is excited about. Which teams are pulling people in who weren't hockey fans before? Which teams are providing the best atmosphere at their arenas? Which team is getting the headlines in their city?

The Flyers used to be ahead of the Sixers, but people seemed stoked about the Sixers now. It's nuts.

I mean, the Sixers have been historically awful for half a decade and got a small taste of Embiid with Simmons and Fultz on the way.

I think a good way to compare was back in the late 90s-early 00s when both the Flyers and Sixers were competing. Iverson was far and away much more popular than Lindros and the Sixers '01 run was much more followed than any of the Flyers runs I can remember.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
Vancouver should have no business in the top 10. They are the most fair-weather fans in all of sports. Team sucks right now, the fans aren't going to care about them until they are good again.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I would agree that Philadelphia is more hype about the Sixers thanks to Embiid but hockey is a niche sport, unlike Basketball, so that is going to be the case in most major cities (Rangers, an original 6 team, will never be as popular as the Yankees for example).

When the Flyers are contenders again in the not so distant future, the hype levels will elevate. They already have increased a bit since winning the lottery and drafting Patrick.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton

It's what happens when people trust the process.

I would argue Edmonton to be #3 in the league after Montreal and Toronto, the atmosphere here during the playoffs was unlike everything I'd ever seen before. I remember waiting at a bus stop near a elementary school on the day of game 7 against the ducks. And I think there was recess or something going on but I remember just seeing every single kid in the entire school wearing some sort of orange, whether or not it was Oilers gear or not...

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I would agree that Philadelphia is more hype about the Sixers thanks to Embiid but hockey is a niche sport, unlike Basketball, so that is going to be the case in most major cities (Rangers, an original 6 team, will never be as popular as the Yankees for example).

When the Flyers are contenders again in the not so distant future, the hype levels will elevate. They already have increased a bit since winning the lottery and drafting Patrick.

This just isn't true. The casual fan probably doesnt care as much about that. When all they're hearing about on the radio and tv is Embiid, Fultz and Wentz, there isn't a lot of extra attention to be had.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Beningo and Roberts also talk about hockey from time to time. Francesa will not touch hockey with a 50 foot pole. A lot of Devils fans called up the week leading up to the draft and asked Francesa who he thought the Devils should take. His responses were as hilarious as you'd expect.

I love Joe and Evan. I try to listen to them daily, but they rarely mention it. At least when they do, they actually have somewhat of a clue or acknowledge that they don't know...which is better than Francesa who is absolute garbage. I remember him trying to interview people when the Rangers were in the finals and it was just brutal.

I mean, the Sixers have been historically awful for half a decade and got a small taste of Embiid with Simmons and Fultz on the way.

I think a good way to compare was back in the late 90s-early 00s when both the Flyers and Sixers were competing. Iverson was far and away much more popular than Lindros and the Sixers '01 run was much more followed than any of the Flyers runs I can remember.

I wasn't in the Philly area back then, but I suspect that's true. The way Philadelphia is gravitating towards the Sixers right now is how I'm taking this original question. Philadelphia couldn't have cared less about the Sixers recently, now all of a sudden people are excited and there's buzz about them again because they might actually be relevant. That buzz just isn't there for the New York and Philadelphia areas right now when it comes to hockey, for me at least. When they start to turn it around I have no doubt it will though, it's a great hockey city.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
I love Joe and Evan. I try to listen to them daily, but they rarely mention it. At least when they do, they actually have somewhat of a clue or acknowledge that they don't know...which is better than Francesa who is absolute garbage. I remember him trying to interview people when the Rangers were in the finals and it was just brutal.

I wasn't in the Philly area back then, but I suspect that's true. The way Philadelphia is gravitating towards the Sixers right now is how I'm taking this original question. Philadelphia couldn't have cared less about the Sixers recently, now all of a sudden people are excited and there's buzz about them again because they might actually be relevant. That buzz just isn't there for the New York and Philadelphia areas right now when it comes to hockey, for me at least. When they start to turn it around I have no doubt it will though, it's a great hockey city.

I grew up in the Philly market, went to school in New England and now live in North Jersey. The support for the B's blows Philly and NY away in terms of "buzz" and coverage. During hockey season, 98.5 the Sports Hub devoted at least 20% of their programs to the Bruins and closer to a 33% down the stretch run and in the playoffs. This is with the Red Sox and Patriots winning titles every other year. My campus was also littered with Bruins (and Whalers) gear. I didn't even go to school in Mass and it was still that crazy. Sure, maybe there are more total fans in the bigger markets, but almost every sports fan with a pulse knows how the Bruins are doing.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

It's about giving the fans something to be excited about, one way or the other. Are they excited like Pittsburgh or Nashville is because of a cup appearance/victory? Are they excited because they drafted Nolan? Did they just win a playoff series for the first time in forever? Are people lining up to see the team?

At this point, the Flyers just aren't there right now for me. They'll get there again though.

It's what happens when people trust the process.

I would argue Edmonton to be #3 in the league after Montreal and Toronto, the atmosphere here during the playoffs was unlike everything I'd ever seen before. I remember waiting at a bus stop near a elementary school on the day of game 7 against the ducks. And I think there was recess or something going on but I remember just seeing every single kid in the entire school wearing some sort of orange, whether or not it was Oilers gear or not...

That's the type of stuff I like. The Oilers were selling tickets to stand in their concourse and watch the game on a television screen...and I think they sold out. That's nuts. Nashville and Pittsburgh had those enormous viewing parties outside and in their arenas. Love that stuff, because it shows there's an overflow of support and passion for the teams at the moment.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Try harder flames fan :naughty:

But seriously it seems like nobody cares about the Nucks unless they're in the playoffs.

Even then it was cheaper to goto a Canucks game when we played in the first round a couple years back than it would be to goto Calgary.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I grew up in the Philly market, went to school in New England and now live in North Jersey. The support for the B's blows Philly and NY away in terms of "buzz" and coverage. During hockey season, 98.5 the Sports Hub devoted at least 20% of their programs to the Bruins and closer to a 33% down the stretch run and in the playoffs. This is with the Red Sox and Patriots winning titles every other year. My campus was also littered with Bruins (and Whalers) gear. I didn't even go to school in Mass and it was still that crazy. Sure, maybe there are more total fans in the bigger markets, but almost every sports fan with a pulse knows how the Bruins are doing.

That's awesome. I have a buddy that lives in New England now and since he's moved there he's picked up hockey a bit because of the coverage in the area. To be fair, the Bruins did have two finals appearances and a cup recently too, so it's not like they're slouches or anything...maybe compared to the other Boston teams, but man has that city seen a lot of winning in the last 15 years.

DeVols

#VFL
Jan 31, 2008
Knoxville, TN

If this is indeed what the OP intended, then Nashville needs to be near the top of the list. That describes Nashville to a T.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
In hockey crazed places like Edmonton , Calgary , Ottawa , Montreal , Vancouver and Winnipeg .. NHL hockey is the only Major League sport in town so of course it always was and will be #1.... in most American markets , they have 3-4 Major League teams and the NHL usually takes a back seat to Football , Baseball and Basketball ( never mind how huge College sports are )

Reactions: LiseL

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
New York isn't hockey crazed at all. The Rangers and Islanders are both ignored when compared to every other team. Even the Brooklyn Nets get more coverage than they do.

Philadelphia gives some time to the Flyers, but not much. They still emphasize on the Eagles and the Sixers whenever I'm listening.

New York radio has less than 1% of their time dedicated to hockey.

i find it better this way, id rather them not talk hockey then have them spewing non-sense. In the playoffs it will always get more coverage and the NY radio talk on it makes me angry. They watch 5 games a year and try to throw together formed opinions.

VoynovsParoleOfficer

Jun 13, 2015
It's actually getting better, to be honest. I still wouldn't list NYC as hockey crazed by any means, but I've noticed a sizeable uptick in the amount of radio coverage I've heard on ESPN Radio during the season.

they hired Rick Dipietro and he has brought credibility back to 98.7 ESPN radio in terms of talking hockey, still the callers will choose to talk about the mets and yankees spring training over playoff hockey but thats just how the NY media is not to mention the non stop knicks talk for a team that gives their fans next to nothing to talk about

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Winnipeg is definitely up there. Everyone plays hockey and everyone watches it. Plus it's basically the only city team (other than the CFL).

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Philadelphia and NY shouldn't be on this list. They get no air time on their radio stations.

Buffalo, Boston, Minnesota, Detroit and Pittsburgh are all significantly ahead

I don't know, I have lived in several of these cities in the past 10 years and Philly should definitely be on the list. Ahead of Detroit as far as fans of the NHL team, Detroit is ahead as far as youth hockey and every other level but the NHL, Philly is ahead.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
1. Toronto
2. Montreal
3. Edmonton
4. Pittsburgh
5. New York
6. Detroit
7. Boston
8. Philadelphia
9. Vancouver
10. Winnipeg

Pitts is too high and Calgary should replace Vancouver and be higher than 9th. Chicago should probably replace someone as well, but not sure who.

Edit, oh, just read that its "right now". OK, maybe Pitts is 4th.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Ok i started the thread so i feel obligated to do my own list.

1,Toronto
2,Montreal
3,Chicago
4,Edmonton
5,Vancouver
6,Pittsburgh
7,Boston
8,Detroit
9,Calgary
10,Winnipeg

Is followed Close by Minnesota,Philadelphia,New york.

I live in Vancouver and we are not really too hockey crazy right now. I think everyone know the reason why. There having difficulties renewing season ticket holders. They try to give us a lot of incentives for us to renew. Back in 2011 and around 2003. Vancouver in the top5 for sure

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Toronto is tops when they are 30th overall or make the playoffs. No hockey city is like that.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
The state of Wisconsin deserves a shout out. They are hockey crazy. (Yeah not a city or NHL place)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad