Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Washington definitely can if they wanted to. They have oshie, backstrom, magiapane, chychrun coming off books next year

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This isn't a knock on the Oilers and just something I wonder about "logistically" when a player who potentially is this expensive comes up at this point.
Especially as I'm in general really bad at reading and understanding potential trades.

Undoubtedly every team would love to have a guy like him, but which team would within this timeline actually be well suited, without throwing other parts of the team into chaos, say by sacrificing their top defensive line? And also have the money, or ability to move players to get that money?
Would Oilers risk losing him for nil?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Wings would probably have around 14-15 mil to offer next season if they wanted to go that high. I don't think they would go that high, but you never know. Wings have a bunch of rookies that should be ready to make the roster after next season and Seider/Ray should be locked up already.

Tank-Drai-Ray
DBC-Larkin- MBN/Danielson (975k)
Berggren (1.25)-Kasper (886K)-Ras
Fischer (1.25)-Copp-Mazur (905k)

Seider-Gus
Chiarot-Ed
Holl-Aljo (1)

Talbot
Cossa

I don't see them dealing for Drai because Stevie won't want to gut the depth of this team because we are built to be a depth team, but as a UFA I think the Wings would go hard.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs. Tavares and Marner off the books. Leafs need a 2nd top6 C. Drai has a cottage in Muskoka where he lives in the summer. Guessing his Fiance will want to stay in the GTA.

Knies Draisaitl Nylander
Domi Matthews Cowan

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would think the Flyers will be all in and will throw a massive offer his way. The Flyers haven't landed a big time free agent since Briere way back in the summer of 2007.

Draisaitl with Michkov could be a blast.

Reactions: 10YearsAfter

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Buffalo would move Cozens, as in trade, to max contract Draisaitl most likely. As others have pointed out, many teams would be willing, it's Draisaitl's choice as to where he'd go, and he'll most definitely be a max contract doing so imho.
I think they would move Thompson, keep Cozens.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
It’s way too much money for sure, but it seems pretty unlikely that you’d be able to sign a 1D and 1C for $18M combined in the current cap climate.
Most top D are in 9.0-10.5 range right now. You can get a 1C for 10m. Maybe it's like 2 extra million on the cap but that's nothing.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The reality is that if he expressed interest through unofficial channels, most capped-out teams would take steps to clear the necessary space and not think twice about it. For a player that good, "throwing the roster into chaos" is worth it. They would address that chaos later.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Killswitch

May 22, 2022
No interest in that contract for 7 years from a Leaf fans perspective unless McDavid is coming with him. I can't see Edmonton not re-signing him anyway

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
It's a lot shorter list to name the teams that are fine with their top-6 forwards, and don't see it worth the hassle to make a change.

A lot of teams would try to make it work. Centers of his caliber are never available in free agency.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
This isn't a knock on the Oilers and just something I wonder about "logistically" when a player who potentially is this expensive comes up at this point.
Especially as I'm in general really bad at reading and understanding potential trades.

Undoubtedly every team would love to have a guy like him, but which team would within this timeline actually be well suited, without throwing other parts of the team into chaos, say by sacrificing their top defensive line? And also have the money, or ability to move players to get that money?
Montreal will have the cap space to do it, but it would be fair to debate whether they should.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The Oilers insider has been hinting at Draisaitls contract being 13.25 x 8 so if we say 13.5 x 8 that’s a total value of 108M.

I’m sure Leon has a list of preferred destinations if he’s signing somewhere long term but is he willing to make considerably less to do so? A 14 x 7 which would be a higher AAV then Oilers at 13.5 would still only result in a total value of 98M. Is Leon willing to leave 10M on the table? If a team wants to match Oilers contract they’d have to be at 15.5M and a team that might not be on his preferred destination list is probably having to go over 16 just to get his consideration.

Oilers have a substantial advantage in the combination of money and team competitiveness that they can offer.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
We would (hopefully) let Marner walk and offer Draisaitl an absolute bag
Let one massively overpaid forward walk then use that space to add another massively overpaid forward..
e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Kraken Jokes

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Damn near every team in the league would make it work if Drai was interested. A shorter list would be what teams wouldn't be? Florida?
Vegas doesn't have the space and even if it did, Leon wouldn't fit in to Cassidy's defense-first scheme with relatively few PPs particularly well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad