Which team has the brighter future? OTT/DET/MTL/BUF

Which team has the brighter future?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Thomas Chabot is as much a #1 D as Matheson is. Nothing against him - He’s a good #3

Matheson was absolutely playing at a #1D level in 2022-23, although it was only for 48 games but he was surprisingly good. He was not as good in 2023-24 but did produce 62 pts, which was 9th among D-men

Chabot dealt with many injuries the last few injuries as well as being on a disorganized team (management + coaching was awful) but he is 17th in PPG and 4th in TOI/GP since 2018-19 when he was 21 y/o. He hasn't been as good the last 2 seasons but here's what he does when he's at the top of his game :

He used to be seen around the Top-20 best D-men but now more around Top-30/35 with all the elite young D-men that arrived in the league.

Jake Sanderson is probably already better and was 21 y/o last season

Last edited:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Matheson was absolutely playing at a #1D level in 2022-23, although it was only for 48 games but he was surprisingly good. He was not as good in 2023-24 but did produce 62 pts, which was 9th among D-men

Chabot dealt with many injuries the last few injuries as well as being on a disorganized team (management + coaching was awful) but he is 17th in PPG and 4th in TOI/GP since 2018-19 when he was 21 y/o. He hasn't been as good the last 2 seasons but here's what he does when he's at the top of his game :

He used to be seen around the Top-20 best D-men but now more around Top-30/35 with all the elite young D-men that arrived in the league.

Jake Sanderson is probably already better and was 21 y/o last season
Why are you using stats from 2021-2022 to prove a point about how the guy is supposedly good today?

Yes, Chabot was once good. He got hammered with injuries and slowed down a lot. Just because he once played like a top pairing D doesn’t mean he’s still playing like one.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Why are you using stats from 2021-2022 to prove a point about how the guy is supposedly good today?

Yes, Chabot was once good. He got hammered with injuries and slowed down a lot. Just because he once played like a top pairing D doesn’t mean he’s still playing like one.

I quoted you but that doesn't mean I wrote this for your benefit. It's more to post against misinformation. I have read some of your posts, I know any argument with you is not going anywhere

Just the fact that you post like 2021-22 was so far away when the guy is 27 y/o is hilarious. There was many games where Chabot was his elite self last season, just couldn't sustain it due to injuries and team problems (again, not arguing with you, just posting for the benefit of others)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This is why a lot of players who come to Ottawa retire in the area.

Similar things happen in Buffalo where former players stay and raise their kids. It appeals to the 30 something family man, but not the 20 something party hound.

Yes, and Cristiano Ronaldo is playing in Saudi Arabia for the schools and the suburb lifestyle.

People make such a big deal of these comparative city surveys when money trumps it all anyway in 95% of the situations.

Cash is King.

Reactions: NyQuil

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I quoted you but that doesn't mean I wrote this for your benefit. It's more to post against misinformation. I have read some of your posts, I know any argument with you is not going anywhere

Just the fact that you post like 2021-22 was so far away when the guy is 27 y/ is hilarious. There was many games where Chabot was his elite self last season, just couldn't sustain it due to injuries and team problems (again, not arguing with you, just posting for the benefit of others)
Sorry to say, Chabot is washed up. 27 years old? Nope, he's done.

Joking aside, I am curious about his injury history. Last year was wrist? Hes never played a full season before. Does he have like a Norris type repetitive injury that should be concerning or is it different injuries each time? Is he injury prone (like Dach) or is it a series of bad luck?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think for Ottawa, Buffalo and Detroit at some point these teams just need to make the playoffs. Having a prospect pool or young players doesn’t really matter after a certain point. In that regard Detroit seems the closest. But if we’re being honest, I think all 3 have failed their rebuilds to this point. Its a big upcoming season for all 3 of them.

I don’t really lump Montreal in the group because Hughes is slow playing the rebuild which is probably smart. But I think in another year, the heat will start to turn up on Montreal.

I will say out of the four teams, I have the most confidence in Hughes as a GM.

I don’t think the Yzerplan has been working for awhile and I wouldn’t have much confidence in what Adams/Staios are doing if I was a fan of those teams. Yzerman is at least trying to accomplish something but he has too many head scratchers for my liking.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Just the fact that you post like 2021-22 was so far away when the guy is 27 y/o is hilarious. There was many games where Chabot was his elite self last season, just couldn't sustain it due to injuries and team problems (again, not arguing with you, just posting for the benefit of others)
Ya weird, you can’t use 21/22 when poster admits injuries last 2 years, but it’s ok to use a 48 game season in 22/23

Reactions: bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sorry to say, Chabot is washed up. 27 years old? Nope, he's done.

Joking aside, I am curious about his injury history. Last year was wrist? Hes never played a full season before. Does he have like a Norris type repetitive injury that should be concerning or is it different injuries each time? Is he injury prone (like Dach) or is it a series of bad luck?

In his rookie season, he didn't miss any games, played 63 in the NHL and 13 in the AHL. He also played all the games in 2019-20 (Covid). Only missed 7 games in the shortened season. He has been injury prone the last 3 seasons (missed 68 games in 3 seasons) but before that, he only missed 19 games in 4 seasons.

His injuries have been various, it's not been a single problem like Norris.

Here's what I found for more details :

After having wrist surgery during the 2023 offseason, Chabot missed all of November with a hand injury. He then missed a chunk of December with a lower-body injury that required an MRI. He had another LBI in March, came back for a couple games, and re-aggravated it later in March

DATEINJURY
3/27/24Lower body
3/7/24Lower body
2/28/24Undisclosed
12/5/23Leg
10/27/23Hand
3/29/23Upper body
3/14/23Undisclosed
11/13/22Concussion
3/17/22Hand
2/26/22Illness
2/13/22Undisclosed
1/3/22COVID-19
5/3/21Upper body
2/18/21Upper body
1/31/21Undisclosed
2/22/20Upper Body
3/13/19Lower body
12/28/18Upper body

Ya weird, you can’t use 21/22 when poster admits injuries last 2 years, but it’s ok to use a 48 game season in 22/23

Wait, you didn't understand correctly. He's saying Chabot isn't a #1 like Matheson isn't so he's not using the 48 games season to prove a point.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

I never said it was far away but Chabot isn’t really close to his peak right now and to say he’s playing as a #1 right now is laughable at best.
Who did that and in what context?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The issues I see with Detroit and Buffalo is that their rebuilds and cores are kind of baked in at this point and they aren't especially working. Like it's getting them to bubble realm but what is going to get them to that next level or two?

Are we expecting big improvements from players already on the team?

Detroit scored well last year but was bad defending and in goal. Buffalo had decent defense but their scoring was lacking... which is weird because they are kind of overloaded with young forward talent.

I think MTL is going to take longer but I think Hughes and co are building things better. DET/BUF I just don't love the way the teams have been built but they are too far along to make big changes and take steps back to re-asses. Maybe that is what Buffalo is trying to do with the Skinner buyout a la Minnesota but it seems like they just have to keep moving forward with how they have been doing it and hope it all comes together. Ottawa I have no faith in at all but I like a lot of their pieces.

I'd go MTL, BUF, DET, OTT in that order but they all have issues. MTL has the least commitment to things so it offers them more flexibility and the pieces they have locked down are all good bets. They need to go big game hunting in free agency soon though because Suzuki being your best offensive player isn't going to cut it. Slaf obviously progressing will be big if he continues to level up each year.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The issues I see with Detroit and Buffalo is that their rebuilds and cores are kind of baked in at this point and they aren't especially working. Like it's getting them to bubble realm but what is going to get them to that next level or two?

Detroit scored well last year but was bad defending and in goal. Buffalo had decent defense but their scoring was lacking... which is weird because they are kind of overloaded with young forward talent.

I think MTL is going to take longer but I think Hughes and co are building things better. DET/BUF I just don't love the way the teams have been built but they are too far along to make big changes and take steps back to re-asses. Maybe that is what Buffalo is trying to do with the Skinner buyout a la Minnesota but it seems like they just have to keep moving forward with how they have been doing it and hope it all comes together. Ottawa I have no faith in at all but I like a lot of their pieces.

I'd go MTL, BUF, DET, OTT in that order but they all have issues. MTL has the least commitment to things so it offers them more flexibility and the pieces they have locked down are all good bets. They need to go big game hunting in free agency soon though because Suzuki being your best offensive player isn't going to cut it. Slaf obviously progressing will be big if he continues to level up each year.
Five 1st round picks from '21, '22, and '23 haven't fully made the Wings yet. I'm going to assume some improvements come from them...

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012

Since Yzerman took over, 2 of his first round picks are playing in the NHL with a third that should be full time this year (Ed ). They're slow simmering their prospects. All of the UFA signings are relatively short term contracts that end when it's expected a kid will be coming up and making the NHL full time.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I never said it was far away but Chabot isn’t really close to his peak right now and to say he’s playing as a #1 right now is laughable at best.

You think Chabot's peak was at 21 y/o and that it's not possible that he gets back to that level or even better?

And for the "timeline" you were discussing, we can always go back to previous posts.

You know what's laughable? Pretty much any of your posts in general.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW
As much as I want to say Buffalo, this team just can't seem to step it up.

Dorian's running before walking roster building put Ottawa behind the rebuild curve.

Detroit's tough because Yzerman, and historically Detroit in general, does the low and slow style of development. So maybe this team just busts out over the next couple of seasons.

I am going with Montreal. This is well run team and it looks like GM Hughes is checking all the boxes building right with eyes to sustained success. They also have a ton of draft capital to work with two 1sts, two 2nds, three 3rds & two 4ths in 2025 draft. Prospects seem to be progressing pretty well. Dach is the china shop surrounding the bull, so he's a bit of a wild card has to his availability for an 82 game grind.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You think Chabot's peak was at 21 y/o and that it's not possible that he gets back to that level or even better?

And for the "timeline" you were discussing, we can always go back to previous posts.

You know what's laughable? Pretty much any of your posts in general.
Yes I think Chabot peaked at 21 and no I don’t think he can get back to that level he was playing back then. I don’t know why you would think this is some kind of gross statement. You even acknowledge yourself in the bolded that he’s not as good as he was when he was 21-22 and I believe it’s pretty safe to say most Ottawa fans would agree with that statement.

I don’t know why people from Montreal always have to try and attack someone personally or their opinion when they don’t agree with them. I guess it’s some sort of defence mechanism when they don’t have a counter argument.

Cheers

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes I think Chabot peaked at 21 and no I don’t think he can get back to that level he was playing back then. I don’t know why you would think this is some kind of gross statement. You even acknowledge yourself in the bolded that he’s not as good as he was when he was 21-22 and I believe it’s pretty safe to say most Ottawa fans would agree with that
We can also agree he’s been plagued with wrist and other injuries the last 2 years. He had off season wrist surgery, so we’ll see how he bounces back from surgery.
No-one knows if he’s peaked or not, sure you can have that opinion, still doesn’t make it factual, we’ll see how the next couple of years go,

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
We can also agree he’s been plagued with wrist and other injuries the last 2 years. He had off season wrist surgery, so we’ll see how he bounces back from surgery.
No-one knows if he’s peaked or not, sure you can have that opinion, still doesn’t make it factual, we’ll see how the next couple of years go,
Oh injuries definitely slowed him down. I also never said it as a fact that he will never play at that level again. I said "I don't think he can get back to that level" which is an opinion, not a fact. If we're being honest though, the chances that he gets back to peak Chabot are lower than him not hitting his peak again.

My point was and still remains that he's not a #1 right now and hasn't been for a while.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Oh injuries definitely slowed him down. I also never said it as a fact that he will never play at that level again. I said "I don't think he can get back to that level" which is an opinion, not a fact. If we're being honest though, the chances that he gets back to peak Chabot are lower than him not hitting his peak again.

My point was and still remains that he's not a #1 right now and hasn't been for a while.
Great we agree, since I never called it a fact, which is exactly what I said.

you can have that opinion, still doesn’t make it factual, we’ll see how the next couple of years go,.

Reactions: Baksfamous112

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
People retire in Buffalo for proximity to the Anchor Bar. :P

A guy like Rivet stayed when he discovered how much house he could buy in a suburb with a rep for good schools and safety. He's not alone and it gets weirder when they are people who didn't play for the team like Marcel Dionne or Darryl Sittler who made their homes there after retiring.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yes I think Chabot peaked at 21 and no I don’t think he can get back to that level he was playing back then. I don’t know why you would think this is some kind of gross statement. You even acknowledge yourself in the bolded that he’s not as good as he was when he was 21-22 and I believe it’s pretty safe to say most Ottawa fans would agree with that statement.

I don’t know why people from Montreal always have to try and attack someone personally or their opinion when they don’t agree with them. I guess it’s some sort of defence mechanism when they don’t have a counter argument.

Cheers
There's just 0 chance you would look at it like this if it was Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad