Prospect Info: Oliver Kapanen, RHC, KalPa U20 (U20 SM-sarja), 64th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Collberg was simply not good. The guy could not even establish himself in Europe. He had only 7 points in 21 games in 2021-22 playing in Allsvenskan.

After only a year on the job Bergevin managed to sell high on a prospect in Collberg to help get us a legit top six offensive player to help our playoff run.

Then for like the next decade Bergevin not only did f*** all to help our offense in the playoffs, but he overvalued the shitty players he drafted and only got rid of them when their value was rock bottom.

Reactions: LaP

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Do we have a proof of that though? Maybe nobody was interested with his contract. Maybe KH did not want to retain at first and then accepted later his fate and retained.
When he was traded, Allen said he nixed a trade to the Devils earlier in the season (in early November, they were on his no-trade list), but accepted it at the TDL.

Reactions: overlords

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I know it's way too early, but just for fun IF both kappanen and beck turn out good, who would we rather keep? No way we bump one of them to the 4th, that would be a waste.

If both turn out good, then there will be room for both as we will need guys who can kill penalties in the future with Evans, Armia and Dvorak all UFA this off-season.

To get both their minutes, one would need to be shifted to the wing which would be a tough call on who because both are solid defensively and great on faceoffs.

I think if I had to choose, Kapanen would make more sense on the wing. Beck seems to be the better skater of the two, while Kapanen is excellent around the net and has great hand-eye coordination which he could show off more as a winger without as much defensive responsibility as a C.

Reactions: HabzSauce

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
When he was traded, Allen said he nixed a trade to the Devils earlier in the season (in early November, they were on his no-trade list), but accepted it at the TDL.
Possible. But it kind of defeat the "we waited the TDL to max his value" argument. I think KH wanted to trade him way before that but could not get something done.

I know it's way too early, but just for fun IF both kappanen and beck turn out good, who would we rather keep? No way we bump one of them to the 4th, that would be a waste.
It depends how good is good. If Kapanen develops as a Plekanec with more grit then we could keep both. I think it would not be bad from Dach to move to the wing.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Possible. But it kind of defeat the "we waited the TDL to max his value". I think KH wanted to trade him way before that but could not get something done.
Considering how Allen was playing, they clearly didn't keep him around to max his value. The Devils offer was probably the only one KH got.

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Considering how Allen was playing, they clearly didn't keep him around to max his value. The Devils offer was probably the only one KH got.
One thing is sure if we have to trade Evans in november/december because Kapanen has a great camp and make the team and then plays well enough then Evans will be easier to unload. Dvorak i think we're stuck with him until the TDL and we'll likely have to retain.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Do we have a proof of that though? Maybe nobody was interested with his contract. Maybe KH did not want to retain at first and then accepted later his fate and retained.
'The Canadiens are retaining 50 percent of his salary. If Allen plays 40 or more games next season and whichever team he’s on reaches the 2025 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the third-round pick will become a second-round pick.'

These conditions look rather silly really, imo, we needed to move Allen.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Never underestimate how much coaches love the ability to win faceoffs, and Owen Beck is one of the best out there at doing that for his age at the moment. Obviously skill trumps all but if all other things remain equal, that keeps Beck around if nothing else.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
'The Canadiens are retaining 50 percent of his salary. If Allen plays 40 or more games next season and whichever team he’s on reaches the 2025 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the third-round pick will become a second-round pick.'

These conditions look rather silly really, imo, we needed to move Allen.
The way things have worked out for HuGo the starter could get hurt and they are forced to play him 40 games.

Reactions: CDN24

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I wouldn’t get your hopes up for Gally And Anderson being gone after this season. They need to have very good years to give KH a chance at trading them with two years left

Reasons are two fold- keep camp competitive with as many players who are hungry to offer a good environment, secondly to have an extended look at prospects to evaluate development. As we’ve seen with several of our prospects, one season can change a lot
I said gone, not necessarily traded out. Gally is going to be bought out after this season. Buying him out this year is not a good deal but after the season it's much better. He's done but he's owed the money. I want us to be fair to him but we need his spot for the new players that are coming up.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I feel Beck could play 4th line to start. He's tough, will win his d-zone faceoff and could be that super reliable pk center. Kapanen has a bit more offensive which would fit well on a 3rd line with, say, Roy and Newhook.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I said gone, not necessarily traded out. Gally is going to be bought out after this season. Buying him out this year is not a good deal but after the season it's much better. He's done but he's owed the money. I want us to be fair to him but we need his spot for the new players that are coming up.
I agree we need a spot opened up. I’m of the opinion, albeit maybe not popular, that it’s Anderson that needs to go. Gally can still be effective but at a much smaller role. He produced last year when with Newhook and Armia. He can play a grinding game he just can not play over 14 minutes a night. Anderson is too inconsistent, disappears for games at a time , has little IQ , plays die on his line.

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
I agree we need a spot opened up. I’m of the opinion, albeit maybe not popular, that it’s Anderson that needs to go. Gally can still be effective but at a much smaller role. He produced last year when with Newhook and Armia. He can play a grinding game he just can not play over 14 minutes a night. Anderson is too inconsistent, disappears for games at a time , has little IQ , plays die on his line.
I tend to agree with Gally having an okay last season which I hope he can repeat this season but I feel I'd rather we try Tuch/Florian next season than keep a 5'9 gassed out shell of what was a favorite of mine. He's still cool and can be usefull on a depleted team but we're building big young, skilled and fast and well, he's none of that.

That 'next step' has to come at some point and we've been waiting for this pivot season where we clean house at tdl or just after and really let the core set in. Hence Dvorak, Armia will go at TDL, i would love Anderson to be traded somehow. For Gally it's not because of not liking him but where he's at vs where the team is going to be. Hurts to say it though... man I loved that guy at 24-27

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I tend to agree with Gally having an okay last season which I hope he can repeat this season but I feel I'd rather we try Tuch/Florian next season than keep a 5'9 gassed out shell of what was a favorite of mine. He's still cool and can be usefull on a depleted team but we're building big young, skilled and fast and well, he's none of that.

That 'next step' has to come at some point and we've been waiting for this pivot season where we clean house at tdl or just after and really let the core set in. Hence Dvorak, Armia will go at TDL, i would love Anderson to be traded somehow. For Gally it's not because of not liking him but where he's at vs where the team is going to be. Hurts to say it though... man I loved that guy at 24-27
I feel like if Gallagher is our only bad contract it's not the end of the world. I'm okay with keeping him for a while to play in the bottom 6. His attitude was better last season it looks like he accepted he'll be part of a rebuild and he's not a terrible player to have around. JA i would trade him as soon as possible.

Reactions: NewDef

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I feel like if Gallagher is our only bad contract it's not the end of the world. I'm okay with keeping him for a while to play in the bottom 6. His attitude was better last season it looks like he accepted he'll be part of a rebuild and he's not a terrible player to have around. JA i would trade him as soon as possible.
Way overpaid but he bleeds bleu, blanc et rouge. 16 goals on the 3rd line coupled with great leadership isn't the end of the world.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Possible. But it kind of defeat the "we waited the TDL to max his value" argument. I think KH wanted to trade him way before that but could not get something done.

It depends how good is good. If Kapanen develops as a Plekanec with more grit then we could keep both. I think it would not be bad from Dach to move to the wing.
I know we haven’t seen Dach in a while, but let’s not forget he’s absolute possession monster and play driver. FOs can improve and wingers can sub in. I would want Dachnup the middle of the ice all day

Reactions: Habs Halifax

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Way overpaid but he bleeds bleu, blanc et rouge. 16 goals on the 3rd line coupled with great leadership isn't the end of the world.
Given is usage in a 3rd line role 16G is not bad. Who else had 16 goals last year?

Mark stone in 56 games
PLD in 82 games
Chandler Stephenson in 75 games
Elias Lindholm had 15 in 75 games with much more favorable usage

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I'd take Anderson any day over Gallagher.
In theory I would want to agree with you, but JA is absolutely useless most nights. It’s IQ. He constantly skates himself out of position and doesn’t anticipate. Add the fact that he has hands of stone at this point. If he could play to his strengths( speed and physicality) it would be great and he could compliment a line well. Trouble is, he shows up for Toronto and the. One out of every four games or so.

Gally is broken down at this point. But in a bottom six role his tenacity is still every night. He put in 15 or so from the third line last year. I. Also think his attitude and compete is more valuable and infectious for the youth coming in. Way overpaid but I still find more return in value than I do with JA

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Given is usage in a 3rd line role 16G is not bad. Who else had 16 goals last year?

Mark stone in 56 games
PLD in 82 games
Chandler Stephenson in 75 games
Elias Lindholm had 15 in 75 games with much more favorable usage
Despite his 16 goals, he has no energy at all and lack of defensive awareness. Those guys you describe are all good defensively, can take faceoff or better playmaker. Gallagher is only offense and he is going at the front of the net, thats all. He had no playmaking brain. His contract is literrally an anchor.

Reactions: dralaf and NewDef

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Sorry Kalpa~

9316du.jpg

Reactions: CDN24

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Despite his 16 goals, he has no energy at all and lack of defensive awareness. Those guys you describe are all good defensively, can take faceoff or better playmaker. Gallagher is only offense and he is going at the front of the net, thats all. He had no playmaking brain. His contract is literrally an anchor.
He is certainly overpaid but there is no need to do anything drastic like give up assets to move him (assuming he is willing NTC/ NMC) or buy him out. You buy a guy out if you
1) need the dollar savings
2) need the cap space
3) need the roster spot

On the first Molson is not broke so real $$ does not matter
On the 2nd cap space, we don't need it for the next 2 or 3 years so no need to buy out now. We will need cap space after his contract expires when guys like Reinbacher/Demidov and maybe Newhook are ready for a long term extension. We may need some in 2026-27 when Hutson/maillioux/and Dach are up for renewal but Price is off the Cap then. Buyout also extends the cap it over 2X as many yrs as remaining. Buying out now will create a problem when we need the space.
The roster spot? There are many other guys to come out of the lineup before Gallagher, Pezz, RHP, etc. Next year more spots open up for kids when Armia/Dvo and probably Evans are gone.

Reactions: dralaf

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wouldn't say he is defensively inept. His line with Danault and Tatar were very good defensively.
I would say he can't keep pace with Marty's game and it leads to him being out of position and breath.

Reactions: Hins77 and NewDef

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
In theory I would want to agree with you, but JA is absolutely useless most nights. It’s IQ. He constantly skates himself out of position and doesn’t anticipate. Add the fact that he has hands of stone at this point. If he could play to his strengths( speed and physicality) it would be great and he could compliment a line well. Trouble is, he shows up for Toronto and the. One out of every four games or so.

Gally is broken down at this point. But in a bottom six role his tenacity is still every night. He put in 15 or so from the third line last year. I. Also think his attitude and compete is more valuable and infectious for the youth coming in. Way overpaid but I still find more return in value than I do with JA

Agree on all points!

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad