Which team has a better rebuild? Habs vs Red Wings?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Sounds like how Montreal would feel now. No chance I'm changing rosters and prospects with Detroit. Nothing against Detroit, but I love how the Habs are building their group.

I feel the same way from Detroit's POV. I also find it really weird the way some fans quantify rebuild years.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Neither were able to grab a true impact franchise player. Overall I’d say Montreal drafted better and even hit on a few non top 10 picks. Both wiffed on their top 6 picks, Kotka and Zadina

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
What is weird about it?

Because teams do not start rebuilding from the same place. Detroit's rebuild began at the end of a very long playoff streak where they fought to get into the playoffs until the very end, did not trade away any aging talent, and were left with a barren roster and empty prospect pool. Seems silly to me to try and measure that up against Montreal. You earlier replied have been rebuilding for only three years of missing the playoffs. But Montreal did not start in anywhere near the same position. Kotkaniemi was drafted 3rd in 2018, Sergachev 9th in 2016. Montreal traded a top goal scorer in Pacioretty for Suzuki who was 12th in 2017, and they also missed the playoffs in 2019 and drafted Caufield at 15th. If you want to say Montreal has only been rebuilding for three years, is it then four year failed rebuild, two fluke Covid years, and now three more years of rebuilding? These two teams simply did not start 'rebuilding' from anywhere near the same position.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Because teams do not start rebuilding from the same place. Detroit's rebuild began at the end of a very long playoff streak where they fought to get into the playoffs until the very end, did not trade away any aging talent, and were left with a barren roster and empty prospect pool. Seems silly to me to try and measure that up against Montreal. You earlier replied have been rebuilding for only three years of missing the playoffs. But Montreal did not start in anywhere near the same position. Kotkaniemi was drafted 3rd in 2018, Sergachev 9th in 2016. Montreal traded a top goal scorer in Pacioretty for Suzuki who was 12th in 2017, and they also missed the playoffs in 2019 and drafted Caufield at 15th. If you want to say Montreal has only been rebuilding for three years, is it then four year failed rebuild, two fluke Covid years, and now three more years of rebuilding? These two teams simply did not start 'rebuilding' from anywhere near the same position.
I don't know which year you would mark as the start of the rebuild for Wings, but I started the rebuild when both GM were hired (2019 Yzerman, 2022 Hughes). It was more as a way to compare their work.

As far as a know Detroit rebuild could go back to 2017, they had already some good young assets in 2019 in Larkin, Bertuzzi, AA, Zadina and Mantha, Rassmussen was a recent high pick.

I just didn't want to start the Xth thread about which GM has been making the best work so far starting from the bottom.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,250.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2