Which team has a better rebuild? Habs vs Red Wings?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Who's your answer for the thread title question ?
Wings. The Habs are 13 points put of a playoff chase, a game or 2 from being eliminated and are the worst team on the Atlantic 2nd worst in the east. They haven't even started the up part of the rebuild. I mean if you inky want to count stuff on paper, idk maybe but right now they haven't even turned to corner yet.

The Wings are 1 point out if WC2 and have more points than 7 teams in the east.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Who's your answer for the thread title question ?
What year is it, is my point. Related to that, the question is dumb. Doesn't deserve an answer, as the teams started rebuilding years apart.

If you are asking who the better team is, it's the Wings.

Reactions: MagicMann13

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Neither team has proven anything, and neither team has superstar talent among the prospects (although they obviously have a group of very good prospects).

The Wings are closer (though again, far from proven) to competing for a playoff spot, which I suppose puts them ahead. I think Habs fans underestimate just how long a team can spend at the bottom, they've got a long ways to go yet.

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
What year is it, is my point. Related to that, the question is dumb. Doesn't deserve an answer, as the teams started rebuilding years apart.

If you are asking who the better team is, it's the Wings.
Wings. The Habs are 13 points put of a playoff chase, a game or 2 from being eliminated and are the worst team on the Atlantic 2nd worst in the east. They haven't even started the up part of the rebuild. I mean if you inky want to count stuff on paper, idk maybe but right now they haven't even turned to corner yet.

The Wings are 1 point out if WC2 and have more points than 7 teams in the east.
Detroit better right now but i think the Habs young core is better than the Wings young core.....

We'll see how it plays out in the upcoming years.......It's fairly close......

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Considering neither team has really completely exited the rebuild? To be determined. Wings seem like they are stuck in limbo to outside fans but most of the future team hasn't even arrived in the NHL yet. Detroits prospect pool is pretty damn strong and Seider and Raymond are 22.

Habs have nice pieces, I don't follow them closely but they seem like a team that can be patient and let the prospect pool mature at their own pace for now. Detroit is a little more urgent as they are further along I would say.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Detroit is like 2-3 years ahead in the process. It's weird to compare the Habs to them. I'd compare Detroit to Ottawa or Buffalo. The Habs are like a year or two ahead of teams like Chicago and Anaheim rebuild-wise.

Also, the Habs seem to be betting more on a strong D than superstars on the front. Imo, this means the rebuild will take longer because these defensemen are most likely going to take a while to mature. I don't see Montreal competing for a playoff spot for another two years, unless something crazy happens or some of their prospects come in and are amazing from the get go.

I just pray they don't waste this rebuild. It's not a good time for us fans.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Habs made the finals in 2021, they just started a rebuild a year and a half ago.

Hard to say what they are doing sucks when they just started doing it
To expand on this a little bit, they're two drafts, two TDLs and one UFA window into this. They are also continuing to purge the $hit contracts that the previous regime doled out (with essentially 12 million in dead cap space for the next three years). You're comparing what Yzerman did in five years to what Hughes has done in two. Granted, Caufield and Suzuki were already there when the new regime came in, but they weren't being handled properly because the previous clowns would not see that the team they had in place was nowhere near good enough to compete in this league, whether they flukily made it to the SCFs or not.

In essence what OP is asking is do you like the talent Detroit amassed in the last 5+ years more than the talent that Montreal has in the last 2+. Not a fair comparison at all. As mentioned, a better comparison is Ottawa or Buffalo. Even Arizona really. Though they've been rebuilding for 10 years or so, so maybe not...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I say the habs.

The young players are playing well. Suzuki, Slav, and Caufield are coming together.

The D men are young however they are playing well; wait until Hutson and Reinbacher come and they will make a difference.

The Red Wings rebuild is still a work in progress. Even though they might make the playoffs, they are still way off the mark.
And yet, Montreal is even further off the mark :laugh:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I say the habs.

The young players are playing well. Suzuki, Slav, and Caufield are coming together.

The D men are young however they are playing well; wait until Hutson and Reinbacher come and they will make a difference.

The Red Wings rebuild is still a work in progress. Even though they might make the playoffs, they are still way off the mark.

Instantly think Wings and you might think I have something against the Habs because I'm an unfortunate Leafs fan, but that is my honest instant opinion.

Wings are onto something better sorry to say it.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Habs for sure, especially after they draft a player with their top 7 pick

In a few years, this is what I envision the habs lineup to look like

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Dach - Lindstrom
Newhook - Beck - Farrell/Mesar
Tuch - Xhekaj - Kapanen/Heineman

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom

Montebeault/Primeau/Dobes
Fowler

Last edited:

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Both rebuilds are seriously flawed by reasons that don't depend on GMs of respective teams.

Both will spend some time between top 10-20 range and will restart from the scratch 7-9 years from now. You can't seriously compete if your top line center is Suzuki or Larkin.

In the current NHL you need to get lucky with the lottery and get lucky with drafting in later rounds. Both things are completely unpredictable.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Habs for sure, especially after they draft a player with their top 7 pick

In a few years, this is what I envision the habs lineup to look like

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Roy - Dach - Lindstrom
Newhook - Beck - Farrell/Mesar
Tuch - Xhekaj - Kapanen/Heineman

Hutson - Reinbacher
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Engstrom

Montebeault/Primeau/Dobes
Fowler
Not going to lie, that does not look like a playoff team in a couple years. Think you are high on the prospect supply.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
People really don’t understand just how bad Holland left the Wings. Let’s start by looking at who the Wings drafted under Holland in the first round since 2010: Riley Sheahan, Anthony Mantha, Dylan Larkin, Evgeny Svechnikov, Dennis Cholowski, Michael Rasmussen, Filip Zadina, Joe Veleno.

Middle of the pack 1C in Larkin, middle 6 winger in Mantha, third line winger in Rasmussen, and then 4Cs in Veleno and Sheahan.

Now let’s look at who the Wings drafted under Holland since 2010 outside of the first round who played more than a handful of games: Calle Jarnkrok, Petr Mrazek, Andreas Athanasiou, Tyler Bertuzzi, Filip Hronek. Yep, that’s it. 9 years and 6 players to show for it, and Jarnkrok never played a game for the Wings as he was traded for a rental in Erik Cole.

This was always going to take longer than 5 years to turn around. Detroit was terrible when Yzerman took over with a non-existent prospect pool.

Reactions: DamonDRW and PaulD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad