Music: Which Band/Artist Has The Best 10 Greatest Hits?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
it's ok hipp. i'm not shook up. i've been told to to my face in real time way worse than that. funny enough, i actually did stick a f&**ing finger up my ass just yesterday. toilet paper malfunction. note to myself: shop for another brand.

maybe i should listen to that tool song. but then maybe there is a certain party that maybe ought to give a listen to eddie van halen and srv a listen as well. youtube-it's free ya know? it's not like being forced to go to amazon, ebay, or hell even a record store, and having to buy a bunch of records/cd's like back in the day. just think of all the money one can save to for a peg n plow session.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I've not heard or heard of half of those songs, so I think this might be a closer representation of what a Beach Boys' top 10 would look like to general music fans...

California Girls
God Only Knows
Good Vibrations
Fun, Fun, Fun,
I Get Around
Barbara Ann
Don't Worry Baby
Surfin' USA
Wouldn't It Be Nice?
Kokomo
Your list is accurate for the average music fan, which is why I still think they're the most underrated band around despite their acclaim. I love Fun, Fun, Fun and Surfin' U.S.A. but it's sad that their output from 1967-1977 basically got (and still gets) completely ignored despite being a lot more interesting than the surfing hits and f***ing Kokomo.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Purely subjective list based on how much I enjoy each song:

1. Let It Be
2. Golden Slumbers
3. Something
4. Here, There and Everywhere
5. Happiness Is a Warm Gun
6. The Long and Winding Road
7. Lady Madonna
8. The Ballad of John and Yoko
9. Yesterday
10. I’ll Follow the Sun

This could change at any given moment. There are about 30 songs that I considered to make this list.
It's not about your personal 10 faves, it's about what would be considered their 10 best hits, and how those 10 stack up against another band's objectively top 10

It's incredibly difficult to narrow down the Beatles' collection to just 10, but I would think their list might start something like...

Yesterday
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Let It Be
Hey Jude
Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
Across The Universe

But then where do you go?

While My Guitar Gently Weeps?
Something?
Eleanor Rigby?
Penny Lane?
Helter Skelter?
Come Together?
Here Comes The Sun?
Love Me Do?
I Am The Walrus?
All You Need Is Love?
Help?
Hard Day's Night?
Love Me Do?
Eight Days A Week?
In My Life?

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
It's not about your personal 10 faves, it's about what would be considered their 10 best hits, and how those 10 stack up against another band's objectively top 10

It's incredibly difficult to narrow down the Beatles' collection to just 10, but I would think their list might start something like...

Yesterday
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Let It Be
Hey Jude
A Day In The Life
Across The Universe

But then where do you go?

While My Guitar Gently Weeps?
Something?
Eleanor Rigby?
Penny Lane?
Helter Skelter?
Come Together?
Here Comes The Sun?
Love Me Do?
I Am The Walrus?
All You Need Is Love?
Help?
Hard Day's Night?
Love Me Do?
Eight Days A Week?
In My Life?
I don’t understand. Do you want this thread to be based on objective data or subjectivity? How a band’s top 10 list stacks up against another is completely subjective, unless we are analyzing specific data points or datasets. Lyrics are subjective, musical complexity is subjective to an extent, musical ability is subjective, etc.

What exactly are you looking for in an « objective » top 10 list? Top 10 best-selling singles? Here I’ll make it easy for you: The 10 best-selling singles by The Beatles

Reactions: I am not exposed

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Beatles:

A Day in the Life
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
She Loves You
We Can Work It Out
In My Life
If I Fell
Eight Days a Week
Penny Lane
Now and Then

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don’t understand. Do you want this thread to be based on objective data or subjectivity? How a band’s top 10 list stacks up against another is completely subjective, unless we are analyzing specific data points or datasets. Lyrics are subjective, musical complexity is subjective to an extent, musical ability is subjective, etc.

What exactly are you looking for in an « objective » top 10 list? Top 10 best-selling singles? Here I’ll make it easy for you: The 10 best-selling singles by The Beatles
As I said earlier in the thread, if I were to start a discussion asking which NHL franchise had the best 4 centers in history, it would be a subjective answer, but objectively, certain players/teams should be fairly obviously...

Edmonton: Gretzky, McDavid, Messier, Draisaitl
Pittsburgh: Lemieux, Crosby, Francis, Malkin
Quebec/Colorado: Peter Stastny, Forsberg, Sakic, MacKinnon

Instead, people are posting a list of their 4 favorite centers for each team, so the lists look like this...

Edmonton: MacTavish, Weight, Peca, Gretzky
Pittsburgh: Crosby, Quinn, Staal, Lang
Colorado: Paul Stastny, Drury, Ricci, Sakic

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Beatles:

A Day in the Life
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
She Loves You
We Can Work It Out
In My Life
If I Fell
Eight Days a Week
Penny Lane
Now and Then
I’d agree with the first two and In My Life but I think everyone’s list would be different. Not saying these are my favourites but I’d have:

Yesterday
A Day in The Life
Strawberry Fields
Help
Something
My Guitar Gently Weeps
In My Life
Let It Be
Hey Jude
I Wanna Hold Your Hand

HM
Come Together
She Loves You
It’s Been a Hard Days Night
Penny Lane

Last edited:
Reactions: Neutrinos

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I’d agree with the first two and In My Life but I think everyone’s list would be different. Not saying these are my favourites but I’d have:

Yesterday
A Day in The Life
Strawberry Fields

Help
Something
My Guitar Gently Weeps

In My Life
Let It Be
Hey Jude
I Wanna Hold Your Hand

HM
Come Together
She Loves You
It’s Been a Hard Days Night
Penny Lane
And not based on my personal favorites, these 7 would be in my Beatles' top 10...

Yesterday
I Want To Hold Your Hand
Let It Be
Hey Jude
A Day In The Life

Across The Universe

So, we agree on at least 6, and I'd be fine with While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Something, In My Life, etc. rounding out the top 10 of such a list if that was the consensus among others

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's pretty subjective but I think Fleetwood Mac and the Cars can put together 10 excellent songs if you're making these kinds of lists

Metallica and Tool have the longevity to come up with pretty compelling lists as well

I also think Michael Jackson and Madonna would come up with strong lists to, even though I'm not a fan of Madonna

Reactions: Neutrinos

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
As I said earlier in the thread, if I were to start a discussion asking which NHL franchise had the best 4 centers in history, it would be a subjective answer, but objectively, certain players/teams should be fairly obviously...

Instead, people are posting a list of their 4 favorite centers for each team, so the lists look like this...

But it’s quite literally impossible to make an « objective » list without any criteria to base yourself on. I’m just gonna post Spotify’s top 10 most streamed Beatles songs, since it doesn’t get much more objective than that:

1. Here Comes the Sun
2. Come Together
3. Let It Be
4. Yesterday
5. Hey Jude
6. Twist and Shout
7. Blackbird
8. I Want to Hold Your Hand
9. In My Life
10. Something

IMO that’s a pretty good list of songs! The only one I would skip is Hey Jude due to the annoyingly long and repetitive outro.

Reactions: kihei

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
But it’s quite literally impossible to make an « objective » list without any criteria to base yourself on. I’m just gonna post Spotify’s top 10 most streamed Beatles songs, since it doesn’t get much more objective than that:

1. Here Comes the Sun
2. Come Together
3. Let It Be
4. Yesterday
5. Hey Jude
6. Twist and Shout
7. Blackbird
8. I Want to Hold Your Hand
9. In My Life
10. Something

IMO that’s a pretty good list of songs! The only one I would skip is Hey Jude due to the annoyingly long and repetitive outro.
No covers...

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Metallica’s Spotify top 10:

1. Enter Sandman
2. Nothing Else Matters
3. Master of Puppets
4. One
5. The Unforgiven
6. For Whom the Bell Tolls
7. Sad but True (not including Whiskey in the Jar)
8. Fade to Black
9. Fuel
10. Seek & Destroy

I think I might prefer this over The Beatles’ top 10. The only songs I would skip are Seek & Destroy and maybe One, depending on my mood.

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
Pink Floyd’s Spotify top 10:

1. Another Brick in the Wall, Pt. 2
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Comfortably Numb
4. Money
5. Time
6. Breathe (in the Air)
7. The Great Gig in the Sky
8. Hey You
9. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Pts. 1-5)
10. Brain Damage

Definitely a contender. No bad songs IMO though I might skip Wish You Were Here and Brain Damage, depending on my mood.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Could not disagree more with this way of thinking in general. Music is not a sport with a universally agreeable/indisputable goal. There are some baseline prerequisites like needing to make money and reach enough people to survive and function, yes, but optimization of that is not an indisputable metric of what's worthy of appreciation (which to me is what "best" actually signifies, and is an inherently subjective/difficult to answer concept in this context).

I can somewhat agree that even subjective questions like this arguably have a hypothetical objective answer (say if we could all mind-meld to see each other's perspectives and be able to determine who was actually right) that we can attempt to answer/get to the bottom of (and possibly raise our eyebrows in doubting the validity of each other's assessments), but that's ultimately going to be elusive and impossible to definitively prove, and even the parameters for what qualities actually OUGHT to matter more or less in that assessment is going to be disagreeable and different for everyone.

I think that for a thread like this, it's reasonable to ask for scrutiny/reasoning/internal consistency in hopes of seeking a logically defensible answer (in an attempt to try to be as "objective" as possible), sure, but it doesn't seem fair to expect everyone to agree to an appeal to popularity/authority (or even talent/difficulty) as a requirement for what's accepted. It's debatable if any of those things truly matter when it comes to how good something is (or more specifically, how much they matter).

It's nice that some opinions/standards are more authoritatively agreed upon than others, and that may be something that you think is worth factoring in yourself, but it really doesn't have to be, IMO. That "obviousness" you see is just smoke and mirrors that can reasonably be misleading/untrue or arguably taken with a grain of salt.

I think Mikeaveli's disagreement about The Beach Boys top 10 is probably a perfect counter-example of just how flawed that way of thinking potentially is, and how superficial but objectively measurable considerations can actually instead obscure our vision of greatness. I think most reasonable "objective"/truthful assessments are going to be more contextual (and ironically subjectively detected) like that, rather than as black and white/going down a checklist as you seem to be making it out to be.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rolling Stones

Satisfaction
Gimme Shelter
Sympathy for the Devil
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Honky Tonk Woman
Brown Sugar
Angie
Miss You
Under Cover of the Night

Mescaleroman

Jan 13, 2019
Southern Shore
Bowie

Man Who Sold the World
Changes
Rebel Rebel
Moonage Daydream
Space Oddity
Life on Mars
Suffragette City
Heroes
Young Americans

That's more of a subjective list , you could add the big hits like China Girl , Modern Love , Let's Dance , Fashion , Ashes to Ashes , Fame and Golden Years for the more objective list.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Rolling Stones

Satisfaction
Gimme Shelter
Sympathy for the Devil
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man
Honky Tonk Woman
Brown Sugar
Angie
Miss You
Under Cover of the Night
I'm not familiar with much of their discography, but I would think Paint It Black would be among their top 10... and Start Me Up

Last edited:

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm not familiar with much of their discography, but I would think Paint It Black would be among their top 10
Correct.

Rolling Stones Spotify top 10:

1. Paint It, Black
2. (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction
3. Start Me Up
4. Gimme Shelter
5. Sympathy for the Devil
6. Beast of Burden
7. Angie
8. Wild Horses
9. Brown Sugar
10. Miss You

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Neil Young

Like a Hurricane
Cortez the Killer
Cinnamon Girl
Powderfinger
Old Man
Helpless
After the Goldrush
Harvest Moon
The Needle and the Damage Done