Music: Which Band/Artist Has The Best 10 Greatest Hits?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Guns N Roses

Sweet Child O'Mine
Welcome to the Jungle
Paradise City
November Rain
Knocking on Heaven's Door
Dont Cry
Patience
Live and Let Die
You Could be Mine
Night train

HM

Yesterdays
Rocket Queen
Civil War
Mr. Brownstone
Think about you
Estranged
Civil War

I think out of all the music from my generation that GNR has ridiculous depth in their catalogue if you are into this type of rock.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
If I've interpreted this correctly, @Neutrinos is asking for an artist's ten most well-known and/or most influential songs, regardless of our personal feelings. (For example, I dislike "Run to the Hills", but it's hard to argue that it isn't one Iron Maiden's top ten most enduring songs). Here are some picks for bands that haven't been mentioned:

The Who
  1. My Generation
  2. I Can See For Miles
  3. Pinball Wizard
  4. Baba O'Riley
  5. Behind Blue Eyes
  6. Won't Get Fooled Again
  7. The Real Me
  8. 5:15
  9. Love Reign O'er Me
  10. Who Are You
Black Sabbath
  1. Black Sabbath
  2. N.I.B.
  3. War Pigs
  4. Paranoid
  5. Iron Man
  6. Sweet Leaf
  7. Into the Void
  8. Supernaut
  9. Snowblind
  10. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
(Comments: I considered the Dio era, but I don't think any of those songs have as much widespread recognition as the classics from the first five or six albums).

Judas Priest
  1. Hell Bent for Leather
  2. Breaking the Law
  3. Living After Midnight
  4. Electric Eye
  5. You've Got Another Thing Comin'
  6. Painkiller
  7. Victim of Changes
  8. Beyond The Realms of Death
  9. Heading Out to the Highway
  10. Turbo Lover
(Comments: the first six, I think, are set in stone. It was tough to settle on the final four. I considered some of the post-1990 material but I don't think anything was close to making the list).

Iron Maiden
  1. The Number of the Beast
  2. Run to the Hills
  3. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  4. The Trooper
  5. Aces High
  6. 2 Minutes To Midnight
  7. Wasted Years
  8. Fear of the Dark
  9. The Evil That Men Do
  10. The Wicker Man
(Comments: I'm confident that there's a broad consensus for the first eight songs listed. Arguably one of the last two spots should have gone to a Paul Di'Anno era song, but it's hard to determine which song would be the "definitive" choice from the first two albums).

King Crimson
  1. 21st Century Schizoid Man
  2. Epitaph
  3. The Court of the Crimson King
  4. Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. 1
  5. Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Pt. 2
  6. Fracture
  7. Red
  8. Starless
  9. Elephant Talk
  10. Sleepless
(Comments: I'm not certain about the final choice, but the other nine are solid).

Nirvana
  1. About A Girl
  2. Smells Like Teen Spirit
  3. In Bloom
  4. Come As You Are
  5. Lithium
  6. Aneurysm
  7. Heart-Shaped Box
  8. Rape Me
  9. All Apologies
  10. Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Guns N Roses

Sweet Child O'Mine
Welcome to the Jungle
Paradise City
November Rain
Knocking on Heaven's Door
Dont Cry
Patience
Live and Let Die
You Could be Mine
Night train

HM

Yesterdays
Rocket Queen
Civil War
Mr. Brownstone
Think about you
Estranged
Civil War

I think out of all the music from my generation that GNR has ridiculous depth in their catalogue if you are into this type of rock.
Yeah, been meaning to mention G'n'R... they've got a strong top 10, but it does lose a little steam towards the end when you remove the covers... I'd replace one of the covers with Mr. Brownstone, but that may be the only other track of theirs I know other than the ones you listed in their top 10

Reactions: tacogeoff

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If I've interpreted this correctly, @Neutrinos is asking for an artist's ten most well-known and/or most influential songs, regardless of our personal feelings. (For example, I dislike "Run to the Hills", but it's hard to argue that it isn't one Iron Maiden's top ten most enduring songs). Here are some picks for bands that haven't been mentioned:

Black Sabbath
  1. Black Sabbath
  2. N.I.B.
  3. War Pigs
  4. Paranoid
  5. Iron Man
  6. Sweet Leaf
  7. Into the Void
  8. Supernaut
  9. Snowblind
(Comments: I considered the Dio era, but I don't think any of those songs have as much widespread recognition as the classics from the first five or six albums).

Nirvana
  1. About A Girl
  3. In Bloom
  4. Come As You Are
  5. Lithium
  6. Aneurysm
  7. Heart-Shaped Box
  8. Rape Me
  9. All Apologies
I can make my own objective top 10 lists...

The question being asked - and largely ignored - is objectively speaking, which band/artist has the best top 10 hits?

As for Sabbath, I'm not qualified to give a definitive top 10, but I'm familiar with Planet Caravan and Solitude over a few of the ones you listed (whenever I do a mushroom trip, my entire soundtrack for the journey consists of Planet Caravan and Solitude alternating on repeat for hours)

And for Nirvana, I would've thought You Know You're Right had joined their top 10

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

The Who
  1. My Generation
  2. I Can See For Miles
  3. Pinball Wizard
  4. Baba O'Riley
  5. Behind Blue Eyes
  7. The Real Me
  9. Love Reign O'er Me
  10. Who Are You
Black Sabbath
  1. Black Sabbath
  2. N.I.B.
  3. War Pigs
  4. Paranoid
  5. Iron Man
  6. Sweet Leaf
  7. Into the Void
  8. Supernaut
  9. Snowblind

Judas Priest
  1. Hell Bent for Leather
  2. Breaking the Law
  3. Living After Midnight
  4. Electric Eye
  6. Painkiller
  7. Victim of Changes
  10. Turbo Lover
(Comments: the first six, I think, are set in stone. It was tough to settle on the final four. I considered some of the post-1990 material but I don't think anything was close to making the list).

Iron Maiden
  2. Run to the Hills
  3. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  4. The Trooper
  5. Aces High
  6. 2 Minutes To Midnight
  7. Wasted Years
  8. Fear of the Dark
  9. The Evil That Men Do
  10. The Wicker Man
(Comments: I'm confident that there's a broad consensus for the first eight songs listed. Arguably one of the last two spots should have gone to a Paul Di'Anno era song, but it's hard to determine which song would be the "definitive" choice from the first two albums).

King Crimson
  2. Epitaph
  6. Fracture
  7. Red
  8. Starless
  9. Elephant Talk
  10. Sleepless
(Comments: I'm not certain about the final choice, but the other nine are solid).

Nirvana
  1. About A Girl
  3. In Bloom
  4. Come As You Are
  5. Lithium
  6. Aneurysm
  7. Heart-Shaped Box
  8. Rape Me
  9. All Apologies
Good lists. I'd have Fairies Wear Boots, The Wizard and maybe Children of the Grave in the top 10 for Sabbath though. I'd probably include Flight of Icarus for Maiden and maybe Polly or You Know You're Right for Nirvana. Tough calls to make.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013

The Who
  1. My Generation
  2. I Can See For Miles
  3. Pinball Wizard
  4. Baba O'Riley
  5. Behind Blue Eyes
  7. The Real Me
  9. Love Reign O'er Me
  10. Who Are You
Black Sabbath
  1. Black Sabbath
  2. N.I.B.
  3. War Pigs
  4. Paranoid
  5. Iron Man
  6. Sweet Leaf
  7. Into the Void
  8. Supernaut
  9. Snowblind

Judas Priest
  1. Hell Bent for Leather
  2. Breaking the Law
  3. Living After Midnight
  4. Electric Eye
  6. Painkiller
  7. Victim of Changes
  10. Turbo Lover

Iron Maiden
  2. Run to the Hills
  3. Hallowed Be Thy Name
  4. The Trooper
  5. Aces High
  6. 2 Minutes To Midnight
  7. Wasted Years
  8. Fear of the Dark
  9. The Evil That Men Do
  10. The Wicker Man

King Crimson
  2. Epitaph
  6. Fracture
  7. Red
  8. Starless
  9. Elephant Talk
  10. Sleepless

Nirvana
  1. About A Girl
  3. In Bloom
  4. Come As You Are
  5. Lithium
  6. Aneurysm
  7. Heart-Shaped Box
  8. Rape Me
  9. All Apologies
for Maiden if you want to go 1st 2 albums for your last 2 spots you could go-Iron Maiden,Sanctuary,Wrathchild or Running Free.Solid lists you chose too

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Bruce Springsteen-Trying to stick with the populous stuff that the average music fan would associate with The Boss going chronologically.

Born To Run
Thunder Road
Badlands
The River
Hungry Heart
Dancin' In The Dark
Born In The USA
Glory Days
Brilliant Disguise
Streets of Philadelphia

My Best-Carey

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Bruce Springsteen-Trying to stick with the populous stuff that the average music fan would associate with The Boss going chronologically.

Born To Run
Thunder Road
Badlands
The River
Hungry Heart
Dancin' In The Dark
Born In The USA
Glory Days
Brilliant Disguise
Streets of Philadelphia

My Best-Carey
isn't rosalita more popular than badlands?

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
My Stones Top 10:
Satisfaction
Gimme Shelter
Sympathy for the Devil
Jumping Jack Flash
Moonlight Mile
Paint it Black
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Tumbling Dice
2000 Light Years From Home
Shine a Light

Half those would chance if I wrote this tomorrow.

Ramones Top 10:
Blitzkrieg Bop
Cretin Hop
Sheena is a Punk Rocker
Lobotomy
Rockaway Beach
I Wanna Be Sedated
Rock and Roll Highschool
Rock and Roll Radio
Chain Saw
Pinhead

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yeah, been meaning to mention G'n'R... they've got a strong top 10, but it does lose a little steam towards the end when you remove the covers... I'd replace one of the covers with Mr. Brownstone, but that may be the only other track of theirs I know other than the ones you listed in their top 10
Yesterdays is overlooked. great song.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
AC/DC is an interesting band to rank... they're a little too heavy metal for a general audience,

I think that's logical but probably not actually the case. Highway to Hell is 7x platinum and Back in Black is an astonishing 27x platinum. That's crossover. They certainly have a lot more heaviness than most pop acts but they have a simple song structure, particularly post Back in Black but even before, that lends itself to mass appeal. 4/4 time, simple drum groove, vocals that cut through the mix unlike a lot of heavier music, short fun punchy guitar solos.

Yesterdays
Rocket Queen
Civil War
Mr. Brownstone
Think about you
Estranged
Civil War

If you're gonna list Civil War as an HM twice you should just put it in it's rightful place in the top 10 :)

• Haha
Reactions: tacogeoff

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think that's logical but probably not actually the case. Highway to Hell is 7x platinum and Back in Black is an astonishing 27x platinum. That's crossover. They certainly have a lot more heaviness than most pop acts but they have a simple song structure, particularly post Back in Black but even before, that lends itself to mass appeal. 4/4 time, simple drum groove, vocals that cut through the mix unlike a lot of heavier music, short fun punchy guitar solos.
Their music is popular, but it won't appeal to anyone who isn't into heavy metal/hard rock because that's the entirety of their sound among their top 10... not to mention their singer(s), like Geddy Lee, isn't for everybody

But other heavier bands that may be in consideration for the best top 10, groups/artists like Zeppelin, Floyd, Queen, Presley, etc. offer considerably more variety among their respective lists...

Stairway To Heaven, Comfortably Numb, Bohemian Rhapsody, Can't Help Falling In Love, are all going to appeal to a general audience more than anything AC/DC can bring to the table

With that said, it's all irrelevant to whether or not you think their top 10 is the best of the best...

IMO, as impressive as their tunes are, their sound is just a little too one dimensional to be the cream of the crop, and I think that's what I was trying to convey more than anything in my previous message

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019

If you're gonna list Civil War as an HM twice you should just put it in it's rightful place in the top 10 :)
acdc-and don't forget-most of their songs stick to using only 3 chords. and the usual popular ones from the back in black album will always remain popular. almost as popular as we will rock you or bohemian rhapsody. young kids tend to run into these songs through the usual social media sites and seem to kinda dig it.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I didn't really want to do it. But my favorite top-10 ever, better than the Beatles top-10 to me (and I'm a huge Beatles fans), better than The Kinks (who would probably be third)... Again, only John Zorn might be able to compete with this for me, but I doubt even him could come up with a definite top-10 of his work (I certainly couldn't, haven't heard nearly half of it)...

Mr. Bungle's 10 best songs IMO (and this could probably change any day):

Ma Meeshka Mow Skowz
Carry Stress in the Jaw
Goodbye Sober Day
My Ass Is on Fire
The Air-Conditioned Nightmare
Violenza Domestica
Merry Go Bye Bye
Slowly Growing Deaf
None of Them Knew They Were Robots*
Carousel

With special mention to some funny stuff like Squeeze Me Macaroni, Won't You Be My Neighbor and You Can't Make Me Mad.

*maybe start there if you don't know their stuff at all

Last edited:

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
acdc-and don't forget-most of their songs stick to using only 3 chords. and the usual popular ones from the back in black album will always remain popular. almost as popular as we will rock you or bohemian rhapsody. young kids tend to run into these songs through the usual social media sites and seem to kinda dig it.
AC/DC goes hard and is just fun music, simply judging by how much of their music gets played at today's sporting events. If you're at a place with over 1000 people (mostly men), odds are good you're going to hear Thunderstruck before you go home.

I don't think anyone would really accuse them of having the "best" music, because it's extremely formulaic, but the formula itself is brilliant if only for how it has such broad appeal. Gen Alpha's kids will probably hear Thunderstruck at BET99NHL brought to you by MGM games.

Ah ah ooo ahh ahhha aaaaaaahhh THUNDER

Awesome

Their catalogue of hits are really, really popular. I hear AC/DC in public as often as I hear Springsteen.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I can make my own objective top 10 lists...

The question being asked - and largely ignored - is objectively speaking, which band/artist has the best top 10 hits?

As for Sabbath, I'm not qualified to give a definitive top 10, but I'm familiar with Planet Caravan and Solitude over a few of the ones you listed (whenever I do a mushroom trip, my entire soundtrack for the journey consists of Planet Caravan and Solitude alternating on repeat for hours)

And for Nirvana, I would've thought You Know You're Right had joined their top 10
I myself am also having a little difficulty by what you mean here.
Do you mean top 10 in the sense of charting singles or albums?

Or is this more of a pick an artist, and then rank their top 10 according to the poster's opinion?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I don't think it's being ignored, people just have different opinions about what qualities factor into something being "objectively the best". When a question contains a premise that is disagreeable in some way, the natural expectation should be discussion about that premise or people ignoring the premise and answering the larger question according to their own perspective.

If you don't want those types of responses, you should probably just indicate that in your opening post.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Anenome
Straight Up and Down
Nevertheless
Prozac vs Herion
That Girl Suicide
(David Bowie I Love You) Since I Was Six
Pish
Fingertips
Evergreen
Servo

^casual top 10 list.

So many great songs: 20 studio albums, 14 EPs, 5 live albums, 6 compilation albums, and 22 singles. It will take you probably 10 years to discover/appreciate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad