Value of: Which bad contract could the Leafs trade Tavares for?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
His deal is bad and and he isn't really what the Leafs need, but is it bad enough to trade for Karlsson or the Predators forwards or something? Seems like they'd prefer just keeping Tavares. Trouba getting traded to a Canadian team would be hilarious.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Rangers would say no on Trouba. He’s too important to the team and tonight he showed it. Has lowkey been better than Fox to start the season, saved an OT goal tonight and has been stellar defensively while Fox has looked a bit shaky aside from period 2 in the Dallas game. Not to mention how lost NYR looked without Trouba at the end of last season

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Best ask Pyjama-boy because he's the one in complete control of the situation.

The only thing the Leafs control is a buyout. A buyout that happens to save the Leafs a grand total of only 910K on a 24M remaining salary. Also even in a buyout they save virtually no cap hit. Only save 600K a year for the next three years and they'd have an extra 300K in cap hit for the three years after that (2025-20028.)

They can't even send him to the minors. LOL

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
The Leafs are not giving away a PPG #1C for free. He is retiring in Toronto and probably comes back on a Spezza deal when his current contract is over.

He won't be worth 11m in the last few years of his deal, but he is still a 1st line C with a strong two-way game, elite on draws with intangibles. In three years, he's played one full/regular series, the others being a qualifier/concussion. I'd sooner move Marner.

Rangers would say no on Trouba. He’s too important to the team and tonight he showed it. Has lowkey been better than Fox to start the season, saved an OT goal tonight and has been stellar defensively while Fox has looked a bit shaky aside from period 2 in the Dallas game. Not to mention how lost NYR looked without Trouba at the end of last season
:laugh: Oh please. Your management would eat that trade up in a second. Trouba isn't even a top pair D and he's on a bloated contract. These players aren't in the same stratosphere.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Is he a 11M player right now? Probably not at this point in his career. Guy is still great though and just off to a rough start to the eye test and as usual, Leaf fans overreact and others like to stoke the flames. Underlying stats are there offensively, it's only a matter of time. The overreaction about him is always hilarious though, especially when people say their team wouldn't take them for a bad player making a few mill less. Last season (all-situations, min 14GP):

.89 PPG (35th)
2.94 P/60 (34th)
23.07 ixG (4th)

It's been 4 games, the offensive ability is absolutely still there even if the production hasn't shown up yet. He's been fine.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
The Leafs ability to find talent to surround their roster at league minimum or near it make Tavares’ 1-2m overpayment a non issue.

Face it, this team is a good team with good players. They’ve been beaten in the playoffs by other good teams, it’s the way she goes.

Maybe soon his contract will be a huge burden, but as of right now I don’t think I’d be losing sleep if I’m a Leafs fan.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Leafs are stuck with Johnny, for better or worse. As a Leafs fan, hopefully for the better.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
The Leafs are not giving away a PPG #1C for free. He is retiring in Toronto and probably comes back on a Spezza deal when his current contract is over.

He won't be worth 11m in the last few years of his deal, but he is still a 1st line C with a strong two-way game, elite on draws with intangibles. In three years, he's played one full/regular series, the others being a qualifier/concussion. I'd sooner move Marner.

:laugh: Oh please. Your management would eat that trade up in a second. Trouba isn't even a top pair D and he's on a bloated contract. These players aren't in the same stratosphere.
Why would NYR trade Trouba for Tavares? Seriously have you not watched him this season or last? He’s been high end defensively while also being one of the best physical players in the league. Tavares doesn’t do anything for us

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The Leafs ability to find talent to surround their roster at league minimum or near it make Tavares’ 1-2m overpayment a non issue.

Face it, this team is a good team with good players. They’ve been beaten in the playoffs by other good teams, it’s the way she goes.

Maybe soon his contract will be a huge burden, but as of right now I don’t think I’d be losing sleep if I’m a Leafs fan.
Their last two playoffs they were not not beaten by good teams. Columbus was technically not even in the playoffs IIRC and Montreal wouldn’t have made it in a real year

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No they wouldn’t

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Why would NYR trade Trouba for Tavares? Seriously have you not watched him this season or last? He’s been high end defensively while also being one of the best physical players in the league. Tavares doesn’t do anything for us
Because 1C > 3D? It's like a Leaf fan saying they wouldn't trade Muzzin for a healthy Stamkos. What a homer take.

Anyways, he's thankfully retiring in Toronto so it's a moot discussion.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Because 1C > 3D? It's like a Leaf fan saying they wouldn't trade Muzzin for a healthy Stamkos. What a homer take.

Anyways, he's thankfully retiring in Toronto so it's a moot discussion.
Tavares is barely a 1C anymore. He’s due for a fall off while Trouba started slow with NYR and has been getting better and better every season. He’s been elite defensively lately and the team isn’t the same without him. I genuinely wouldn’t trade Trouba for Tavares, he’s way too valuable to the team

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Their last two playoffs they were not not beaten by good teams. Columbus was technically not even in the playoffs IIRC and Montreal wouldn’t have made it in a real year

And Montreal ended up going to the cup finals. There’s so much parity in this league, and the league is so match up based.

Montreal & Columbus could have just been their kryptonite and they could have beat every other team, but unfortunately drew those two. (Yeah yeah, and if my aunt was a man she’d be my uncle).

It’s fun to pile on to the Leafs, and as an Oilers and Sens fan I’d be the first one with a shovel.

This core has the ability to have a playoff run, but hockey is a game of inches and seconds etc and it doesn’t work out in the favour. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won’t.

Which is a huge testament to how dominant the Wings, Penguins, Hawks & Tampa have been.

Reactions: kevrondl

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It doesn't matter what the Leafs would prefer. It doesn't matter what bad contracts other teams might be inclined to swap for him. It matters that Tavares wants to be a Leaf, has an ironclad NMC, and the structure of his contract makes it essentially buyout proof (since it's mostly signing bonuses.)

Reactions: bernmeister

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Correct. Trouba is fine. He’s handling all the toughest defensive matchups and also very important for Miller’s development. If he were to go, it would be to shed, not add salary.
His salary is a bit high and that’s exacerbated by the flat cap. But much more manageable than Tavares’ cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad