Where have all the GOATenders gone?

Aug 3, 2010
The Gretzkys and Lemiuexs left but we got Crosby and Malkin and Ovechkin and McDavid, etc.

The Prongers and Lidstroms retired but we got Fox, Makar, Josi, Hedman, Hughes, etc.

The Haseks, Roys, Prices, Brodeurs, Lundqvists have all gone now just recently.

Goalies, even true #1s, play fewer games so they're less tired, they have more coaching and development opportunities. But where is the next wave of true greats?

Disregarding the fact future goalies won't even have a chance of sniffing the wins or games played records anymore due to evolutions in team deployment, when will we see the next true GOATender be in regular contention for Hart/Lindsey/Conn Smythe/Vezina trophies?

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Maybe when 5'10 shrimps stop shooting lazer beams and regular season games aren't a powerplay fiesta they will be back , they also nerfed their equipment not sure what you want from these goalies. There's plenty of great ones in the league right now its just not a goalie friendly league

Evergreen

I’d say Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Shesterkin, Bobrovsky, and maybe Sorokin or Swayman—depending on the seasons they have—are a pretty good group.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Shesterkin is pretty damn good.

Sorokin is also good.

It's Russia's turn to develop the top tier goalies with the states second.

Part of the lack of goalies is that Canada isn't producing any goalies of any note.

Gabriel D'aigle was a candidate to be the next one, but he sucks.

Ravensbergen might be one, but he's a right handed goalie and those are ick.

Letsdothis

Jun 19, 2024
Everyone got so good that nobody stands out. Also the shots today happen at such a high velocity today that there's physically no time to make reaction saves, making variance (luck) a higher component in sv%.

Reactions: Leksand

Aug 3, 2010
Shesterkin? Hellebuyck? Demko? Sorokin? Swayman? Playoff Bobrovsky? Saros?

As for prospects, Wallstedt, Askarov, Levi, etc?
You listed four Vezina winners (Hellebuyck won twice so four trophies total) out of 7 professionals, and none with Hart/Lindsey/Smythe considerations although Bobrovsky was in the conversation against a record-setting McDavid.

Vasilevskiy, Price Quick were probably the last most recent challengers but in the end fell short of all-time greatness.

I'm talking goalies who dominate the crease and carry seasons on their backs, not one-time flashes in the pan. Goalies that make bad teams look like playoff qualifiers and playoff contenders into champions.

You can tell me my standards are too high but the greats of yesteryear were able to achieve such lofty heights with worse equipment, less coaching, and heavier workloads and oftentimes, crappier teams. I consider the current class to be very good but not in the conversation of truly great.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I wrote a topic on this months ago..... Is the "longterm elite goaltender" now a thing of the past?

to me the position has become more and more normalized over time. Coaching systems and defenses now play just as much a role in their team's goals against as the goalies do. Thats my theory anyway.

Goalies seem peak just as their team does, and will look bad after just a simple coaching change or trade to less defensive team.

Tons of examples of this in the past 20 years under coaches such as: Lemaire, Hitchcock, Trotz, Montgomery etc

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I am going out on a limb here especially because I was vocal about trading up and not grabbing a center instead of Cossa , but he’s been developing very nicely and looked very solid in a shutout last night. He might be the piece that really helps Detroit out because their lack of talent this far into the rebuild is obvious

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Some of this is due to a weird age cutoff with the current conversation. Lundqvist and Price are the same age range as Ovechkin and Crosby.

Some eras just have low quality output i.e. late 70s born for defensemen. It's randomness of the quality of 5 individuals out of tens of thousands of input players. How weak would we view 1970s era NHL goalies if Dryden doesn't play hockey? Or how weak would the 2010-2015 era be viewed if Crosby and Ovechkin didn't play hockey?

Equipment costs are a very real problem. How many potentially elite goalies picked a different position because their parents didn't want that cost?

Traditional goaltending streams have dried up. Ontario was a goalie factory until the 1980s. Quebec was a goalie factory until the 2010s. Regions often rely on a few trainers to usher in elite goalies. One trainer falls off and isn't replaced and whole regions go away.

Award voters are stat watchers and it's especially bad for goalies. If Vezinas weren't so strongly correlated to SV% (a heavily team influenced stat) you might see guys like Lundqvist or Vasilevsky or Hellebucyk win more frequently. Their legacies "feel " smaller because they lose out to goalies playing behind elite defensive systems.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
They all became Russians. No nation is even close at the moment. It’s unfortunate and I can’t say I understand why

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You listed four Vezina winners (Hellebuyck won twice so four trophies total) out of 7 professionals, and none with Hart/Lindsey/Smythe considerations although Bobrovsky was in the conversation against a record-setting McDavid.

Vasilevskiy, Price Quick were probably the last most recent challengers but in the end fell short of all-time greatness.

I'm talking goalies who dominate the crease and carry seasons on their backs, not one-time flashes in the pan. Goalies that make bad teams look like playoff qualifiers and playoff contenders into champions.

You can tell me my standards are too high but the greats of yesteryear were able to achieve such lofty heights with worse equipment, less coaching, and heavier workloads and oftentimes, crappier teams. I consider the current class to be very good but not in the conversation of truly great.
Your comparisons were guys like Fox and Hughes... Those guys aren't in the Hart category either.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The Gretzkys and Lemiuexs left but we got Crosby and Malkin and Ovechkin and McDavid, etc.

The Prongers and Lidstroms retired but we got Fox, Makar, Josi, Hedman, Hughes, etc.

The Haseks, Roys, Prices, Brodeurs, Lundqvists have all gone now just recently.

Goalies, even true #1s, play fewer games so they're less tired, they have more coaching and development opportunities. But where is the next wave of true greats?

Disregarding the fact future goalies won't even have a chance of sniffing the wins or games played records anymore due to evolutions in team deployment, when will we see the next true GOATender be in regular contention for Hart/Lindsey/Conn Smythe/Vezina trophies?
Hellebucyk has more Vezinas than both Price (who’s one of the most overrated goalies of all time) and Lundqvist…

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
Everyone got so good that nobody stands out. Also the shots today happen at such a high velocity today that there's physically no time to make reaction saves, making variance (luck) a higher component in sv%.
You said it. Reactive goalies were pretty entertaining. There's always been an element of prediction that's harder to see, but I really enjoyed seeing a goalie scramble all game and come out with a shutout. Somehow they were also able to play more games despite the more reactive style.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
After suffering sudden onset blindness for 5 games last April, Hellebuyck has opened the season through two games with a .982 which is pretty good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad