Where Does Pavel Datsyuk Rank Among The Best Centers Of His Era And How Do You View His Legacy?

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Peaked higher than Kopitar and Bergeron who had more steady careers, and probably higher than where Toews peaked 2008-10 (Cup, Conn Smythe, Gold Medal, and I know Datsyuk also got a cup in this time), just as he was slowing down. Were talking about peaks here but you also need to factor longevity.

Probably only behind Bergeron defensively and such nasty hands, he’s definitively only behind Crosby and Malkin. I’d have those two at the top and him interchangeable with 5-6 guys.

Crosby

Malkin

Kopitar
Datsyuk
Bergeron

Sedin
Toews
Thornton

Getzlaf
Backstrom

2007 draft cutoff so I don’t view Stamkos, Tavares, ROR and Seguin as his contemporaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: banks and wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He arrived later in his career, and his peak was overshadowed by Thornton Ovi, Sid, and Malkin.
This and injuries also will affect his legacy somewhat as well.

Perhaps over rated by some but under rated by many as well.

I think his peak years are really under rated as they were Hart worthy but counting stats right?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Peaked higher than Kopitar and Bergeron who had more steady careers, and probably higher than where Toews peaked 2008-10 (Cup, Conn Smythe, Gold Medal, and I know Datsyuk also got a cup in this time), just as he was slowing down. Were talking about peaks here but you also need to factor longevity.

Probably only behind Bergeron defensively and such nasty hands, he’s definitively only behind Crosby and Malkin. I’d have those two at the top and him interchangeable with 5-6 guys.

Crosby

Malkin

Kopitar
Datsyuk
Bergeron

Sedin
Toews
Thornton

Getzlaf
Backstrom

2007 draft cutoff so I don’t view Stamkos, Tavares, ROR and Seguin as his contemporaries.
Toews should not be in a tier above Getzlaf

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
I don’t know about where he ranks as center, but in terms of stick handling / filthy mitts, he’s god-tier. One of my favorite player of all time.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
My favorite player growing up. Best hands in the league. We were truly spoiled having him, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, etc for so long. One of those things you don't fully appreciate until they're gone.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yea, but did you go to NHL.com/stats and sort by points and consider absolutely nothing else? Because if you did that - Thornton is the clear victor!
My point was datsyuk was underrated for this very reason but go off

Oct 18, 2011
Now I know how folks way back in the day used to feel on these forums when a player was being remembered differently after they retired than how they were during their career

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Datsyuk is being praised more in this thread today than he was during his prime. I was there in his prime and I always thought "wow, this guy is so underrated". People didn't have access to all the games as easily as we do today. That's why he was so underrated back then.

He's finally getting the credit he deserves. I feel bad for people who couldn't watch every game, every shift he played. He was nothing less than amazing! He was dubbed "the magic man" for a reason.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Datsyuk is being praised more in this thread today than he was during his prime. I was there in his prime and I always thought "wow, this guy is so underrated". People didn't have access to all the games as easily as we do today. That's why he was so underrated back then.

He's finally getting the credit he deserves. I feel bad for people who couldn't watch every game, every shift he played. He was nothing less than amazing! He was dubbed "the magic man" for a reason.
I remember talking with my dad many years ago about how we both (non Detroit fans) thought he was arguably the #2 player after Crosby at his best. Of course no disrespect to Ovechkin here - he was a unicorn in his own right.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
This is my favourite (not shootout, but breakaway):

The guy could straight up teleport. It was incredible to watch him in real time, then seeing all the details in slo-mo... Just wow.

Hockey was so much better back in the late 90s through 2000s than it is today. Datsyuk did stuff like this through multiple defenders. He did this against two dmen, one being Pronger back when hockey was physical. He was a BEAST!

Watch this clip and you'll see a young magic man carving out his reputation in the NHL. You can watch the below video and count about 3 suspensions in today's NHL. So much heart and grit back then! Back when men were men and gave no excuses.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Hockey was so much better back in the late 90s through 2000s than it is today. Datsyuk did stuff like this through multiple defenders. He did this against two dmen, one being Pronger back when hockey was physical. He was a BEAST!

Watch this clip and you'll see a young magic man carving out his reputation in the NHL. You can watch the below video and count about 3 suspensions in today's NHL. So much heart and grit back then! Back when men were men and gave no excuses.

Life was better in the 90s. I wasn't in school or working. My mom fed me. No bills, no worries.

And I was 40 years old. :sarcasm:

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
... Even Steve Yzerman never won a Hart.
In any other era I think Yzerman would have won at least one Hart. He had to compete with Gretzky, Lemieux, and Jagr for his entire career in that department. I say the same for Hawerchuk.

But on topic, Pavel was not only the prototype for how to build a 200ft game from the centre position. He also did it in spectacular fashion. He rarely had boring shifts and would wow you with his skill nightly. The guy was incredibly special, especially when you compare him to the guys considered to be the best defensive centres in history. (Guys like Carbonneau and Bergeron)

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He was simply amazing. He gets praised for his 200 feet work on the ice, but a lot of fans forget that he had game-breaking offense. (or game-ending talent). He made plays out of nothing to create goals.

I quickly saw somebody mention Zetterberg, who I think was a much better teammate or leader for the team. Zetterberg had the ability to up his compete to the next level, especially in playoffs, but Pavel made watching fun.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I toss and turn if I Put Datsyuk 3rd or 4th.

If we want to say absolute peak on the back to back 99 point seasons. Sure Datsyuk is better at his absolute peak. Thornton however had a serious longevity and continued to play amazing every year.

Crosby
Malkin
Datsyuk/Thornton
Bergeron
Stamkos
Getzlaf

Missing anyone that should be considered let me know.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He wasn't the best defensive center on the Wings, so definitely not in the league.

Did you ever watch Zetterberg vs Datsyuk scrimmage? Datsyuk wouldn't even let Zetterberg touch the puck. Zetterberg looked foolish.

But that was scrimmage. Zetterberg didn't play physical. It was just a soft puck battle.

That being said, yes in real game time Zetterberg was the best in the world.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Did you ever watch Zetterberg vs Datsyuk scrimmage? Datsyuk wouldn't even let Zetterberg touch the puck. Zetterberg looked foolish.

But that was scrimmage. Zetterberg didn't play physical. It was just a soft puck battle.

That being said, yes in real game time Zetterberg was the best in the world.
Never saw that scrimmage, no. I am talking about on the ice in real game situations.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
One of a kind player who could very much hang in Sid and Geno's weight class. He always played smart, especially in big games, which made him so scary. Just so confident with the puck. My friends and I always viewed him as the true archnemesis to 87 and 71 (not Toews, Kopitar, Giroux, Sedin). I couldn't hate the Red Wings, despite our rivalry, because of this guy.

So, yeah. Definitely above Backstrom/Toews/Kopitar/Sedin/everyone else you mentioned. When it's all said and done it will be: 1. Sid 2. Geno 3. Pavel, but in 08-09, they were all on the same level. It was a literal toss-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad