Where does Leafs defense rank now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where does the Leafs defense rank league wide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really like the quartet of Barrie, Rielly, Dermott & Muzzin...Barrie is being significantly under-rated in this thread. Less so impressed by the rest, but I think those 4 can really help those forwards put pressure on teams.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Player for player their top 4 is pretty damn talented. On closer look, they're all plus defenders off the rush and in transition but struggle with in-zone defense. Having a defenseman of Barrie's quality on the right side is a boon simply because their right side was an absolute graveyard, but Im still skeptical about how much his acquisition will move the needle for their aggregate defensive results.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I really like the quartet of Barrie, Rielly, Dermott & Muzzin...Barrie is being significantly under-rated in this thread. Less so impressed by the rest, but I think those 4 can really help those forwards put pressure on teams.

Yeah, Barrie is getting an insanely raw deal in this thread from a bunch of East Coasters who have never seen him.

Acting like he's going to get less PP love...let's just say that if TO went out and got Barrie to play him less on the PP than Dubas is dumber than I thought.

Reilly-Muzzin-Barrie is a great 3 of 4, and leafs have a lot of options for a guy to grab that #4 spot, especially since they haven't really been playing any of their top 4 any more than others (ie there isn't a karlsson or doughty eating 26+ minutes a game).

Reactions: CB Joe

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
They still only have 3 top 4 dmen, but it is at least much improved from years past. Barrie and Muzzin should make a great second pairing, and Dermott and Ceci should make a pretty good bottom pairing. They’re pretty middle of the pack right now, but they might move into the top 10 if they can find an adequate partner for Rielly.
100%.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
They upgraded a little from Gardiner to Barrie. Downgraded from Zaitsev to Ceci. And lost Hainsey which isn’t a huge loss.

So pretty much on par with where it was last season. 15-20 range imo.

They also upgrade by subtraction. Dermott will see more minutes as opposed to giving them to hainsey(who was still decent).
Also leafs 2nd best dman is now a righty as opposed to a lefty so, handedness is fixed a bit more.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
They also upgrade by subtraction. Dermott will see more minutes as opposed to giving them to hainsey(who was still decent).
Also leafs 2nd best dman is now a righty as opposed to a lefty so, handedness is fixed a bit more.

This is true. But you know Babcock is going to take a shining to Ceci and paid him with Rielly. Which will be great for the Muzzin Barrie pairing but Rielly will be forced to babysit someone far worse than Hainsey.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
This is true. But you know Babcock is going to take a shining to Ceci and paid him with Rielly. Which will be great for the Muzzin Barrie pairing but Rielly will be forced to babysit someone far worse than Hainsey.
Who knows we will see how things shake out. It's possible for ceci to be on the top pair but I think the idea is to at least start rielly-Barrie together.

But that's awhile away heck we may even have a marlie snag a spot.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Meh, didnt improve much for the short term. Getting rid of Zaitev long term is great

But for next year only

Barrie >= Gardiner
Zaistev = Ceci

The main benefit will come from a full year of Muzzin

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Meh, didnt improve much for the short term. Getting rid of Zaitev long term is great

But for next year only

Barrie >= Gardiner
Zaistev = Ceci

The main benefit will come from a full year of Muzzin
Gardiner at his best is pretty close to Barrie, but Gardiner was lousy for much of the season and in the playoffs last year. Plus Barrie shoots right. It's a pretty sizable upgrade I'd say

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We might have 3. It all depends on what kinda year they have.
In Larsson's 1st season with Edmonton he was easily better than all 3 of em but last year he had some family issues and it clearly effected his play and I don't know what stopped him from playing as well the year before.
I take healthy Klefbom over both Rielly and Barrie. (Healthy Klefbom = blue moon)
Pretty sure I take both Leafs D-men over Nurse, but Nurse was a lot better last year.
We might have 3. It all depends on what kinda year they have.
In Larsson's 1st season with Edmonton he was easily better than all 3 of em but last year he had some family issues and it clearly effected his play and I don't know what stopped him from playing as well the year before.
I take healthy Klefbom over both Rielly and Barrie. (Healthy Klefbom = blue moon)
Pretty sure I take both Leafs D-men over Nurse, but Nurse was a lot better last year.

So you think the Oilers havev 3 #1 d men,, you must because Rielly it's a legitimate #1 d man so the question becomes if that's true and the Oilers do have 3 #1 D men then why are they a a garbage pile? Because a team with 3 #1 d men shouldn't be a garbage pile yet the Oilers are

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
C98CF0EC-76ED-4DAE-A5BA-04040E4B1BFC.png
7FFD870C-338A-4E23-B729-1855C1AE5EE4.png

Offensively they got better but they were already terrible defensively and Barrie is just gonna make that worse. Gardiner on the other hand was one of their better defenders so losing him isn’t gonna help either.

Reactions: The S5

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
15-20
Didn’t really address getting better defensively by adding an offensive D and a train wreck.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Gardiner had 25 even strength points in 62 games (31 adjusted to 78 games)
Barrie had 34 even strength points in 78 games

Barrie played 4:03 power play per game on PP1
Gardiner played 1:52 power play per game on PP2

Barrie won't be getting 25 poweplay points like he did last year being the go-to guy on Colorado
He may not, but don't be shocked if Barrie is on the top unit over Reilly. Having that right shot as an option for Marner will be significant, on that unit Reilly could never be much more than a distributer. Could also see Babcock go back to two split PP's with Matthews and Nylander / Marner Tavares.

Honestly, who knows though.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
So Barrie gets discredited for being an elite PP player? He gets more minutes on the PP than Gardiner because he's a better, more skilled QB. Why can't he replicate those point totals on a team with Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, etc. on the man advantage?

He very well might be the go-to guy with Toronto because the #1 PP struggled immensely down the stretch without a big shot presence from the point.

should i tell you, or would you rather find out on your own?

not a shot at Barrie. He is great and will do awesome but a big shot presence does not describe him in the slightest. he can hit his lanes though, which I personally value over the big boom.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
should i tell you, or would you rather find out on your own?

not a shot at Barrie. He is great and will do awesome but a big shot presence does not describe him in the slightest. he can hit his lanes though, which I personally value over the big boom.
I mean he's a 14 goal scorer. Barrie would easily have the best shot arsenal from the point for Toronto. Muzzin's might be heavier/harder, but Barrie's overall shooting ability and willingness to let it go is more of a threat.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It is the greatest defence in the entire history of the NHL. Bow down to it and beg for mercy, or it will destroy you.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I mean he's a 14 goal scorer. Barrie would easily have the best shot arsenal from the point for Toronto. Muzzin's might be heavier/harder, but Barrie's overall shooting ability and willingness to let it go is more of a threat.

oh yeah barrie has a great shot at getting it through but he doesn't have a big booming slap shot that instills fear in shot blockers or goalies. But he does pick his spots great for when to shoot and he gets it through.

Also i was at that game in detroit. WAS AMAZING.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad