Where does Leafs defense rank now?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where does the Leafs defense rank league wide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Barrie doesn't make them any better in the d-zone but he's a hell of playmaker from the back end and a #1 PP QB

Marek worried he'll get the Gardiner/Phaneuf treatment

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Gardiner had 30 points last season. Barrie had 60.

you're not factoring in PP time. Barrie was PP1 last year and Gardiner was PP2. take out the extra 20 points Barrie got on the PP and it's a whole lot closer. Barrie unlikely is on Leafs top PP unless Babcock rolls with 2 D. so Barrie's numbers will likely drop significantly.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
They have a really strong Top 3 though. Rielly and Barrie will make a very high end Top pairing, and Muzzin as a #3 is pretty great as well.

Ceci at the #4 spot and Liljegren at the #6 spot on that Right side is what takes them out of the Top 10 IMO.

I think this is fair as of today. Can't count chicken's before they hatch.
But Ceci could well be the Leafs Petry/ Schultz, and Liljegren could step right in and be a + level guy in that role. Add in the potential for development from Dermott and there is serious boom factor with this group.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
A bit worse than last year since Gardiner is better than Barrie. Ceci could be better than Zaitsev though so it’s not all bad.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Seems to be basically set.

Rielly - Barrie
Muzzin - Ceci
Dermott - Liljegren
Sandin - Gravel

I personally don't see Sandin up with the team, and even Liljegren. Maybe at the start of the year with Dermott injured but that's about it.

I see it ending up more like this.

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Barrie
Marincin - Ceci
Kivihalme/Borgman/Holl/Harpur

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Gardiner had 25 even strength points in 62 games (31 adjusted to 78 games)
Barrie had 34 even strength points in 78 games

Barrie played 4:03 power play per game on PP1
Gardiner played 1:52 power play per game on PP2

Barrie won't be getting 25 poweplay points like he did last year being the go-to guy on Colorado
So Barrie gets discredited for being an elite PP player? He gets more minutes on the PP than Gardiner because he's a better, more skilled QB. Why can't he replicate those point totals on a team with Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, etc. on the man advantage?

He very well might be the go-to guy with Toronto because the #1 PP struggled immensely down the stretch without a big shot presence from the point.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
So Barrie gets discredited for being an elite PP player? He gets more minutes on the PP than Gardiner because he's a better, more skilled QB. Why can't he replicate those point totals on a team with Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Kapanen, etc. on the man advantage?

He very well might be the go-to guy with Toronto because the #1 PP struggled immensely down the stretch without a big shot presence from the point.
Regardless, either Barrie or Rielly will suffer decreases in point totals this next season, since they both can't quarterback PP1

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Top 15.

Barrie is a legit upgrade on Gardiner, just a question of how much as they're comparable defensively.... But Ceci in the Top 4 is not good at all. He is so much worse than Zaitsev.

I'd say Top 15 and pushing into the Top 10.

Top 10-12 sounds about right, but that could easily drop to 15 or so. Who knows?

But Barrie is not any sort of Gardiner upgrade........Muzzin is the one who replaced Gardiner.
Barrie replaced Hainsey.
And Ceci replaced Zaitsev.

Once Dermott is back a few weeks after the season starts, we should get a good idea of things. Dermott could make all the difference.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
you're not factoring in PP time. Barrie was PP1 last year and Gardiner was PP2. take out the extra 20 points Barrie got on the PP and it's a whole lot closer. Barrie unlikely is on Leafs top PP unless Babcock rolls with 2 D. so Barrie's numbers will likely drop significantly.

ice time only matters to Leafs fans when they are trying to pump up Matthews

Reactions: dukeofjive

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
Gardiner is not better than Barrie.

Top 15 for sure. I'd say 12 or so. Very happy with the defense retool. Looking forward to how it all plays out.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Your D isn't very good if Barrie is asked to be a top pairing defenseman. He was never asked to do that in Colorado. He needs to be in a sheltered offensive role. If you expect him to start in the defensive zone against the other team's top line....Oh boy....

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Feeling quite good about the Leafs D.

I am sure the pairings will get rolled around a lot, especially when Dermott comes back, but having a (healthy) top4 of Rielly, Barrie, Muzzin, and Dermott makes me feel really good. It's a shame that Dermott is injured to start the year, but he's a fantastic hockey player and was starting to get more responsibility before he got hurt during the stretch. I'm hoping that he gets thrown into the fire as Rielly's partner. I'm sure he'll struggle to start, but it will make him a better player by the time playoffs roll around.

Muzzin - Barrie is what I'm hoping for, because that's a sick pairing that can handle just about anything and moves the puck extremely well.

Ice time will probably be Rielly at #1, with lesser matchup difficulty than last year, followed closely by Barrie then Muzzin. A healthy Dermott is #4, but Ceci will do until he's back. Ceci #5, whoever wins 3LD in camp gets #6.

A top3 of Rielly-Barrie-Muzzin is easily top15 in the league if you've got NHL skaters for the other three. A healthy Dermott playing as the #4 will probably push them even a little higher. If Ceci doesn't suck on the bottom pairing they're probably inside the top10.

Reactions: Economist

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Marginally better than last year. Barrie is in the same range as Gardiner. Ceci is in the same range as Zaitsev. The better LH-RH balance should help though.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's worse than the Oilers' but it won't look that bad because they've got a couple guys that can move the puck well and that'll keep Toronto scoring throughout the regular season. If they win a playoff round with the team they've got I'll be a little surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad