Where Does Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky - Demidov Rank As A Core?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where does MTL's core four rank?

• Total voters

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
If you compare that group of four to the best four player assets other organizations have (so for example, Smith and Celebrini would be considered for SJ even though they haven't debuted in the NHL yet), where would this core rank?

NikolaTesla

Aug 2, 2009
In think they will be top 10 in 2 or 3 years.

Not next season nor the one after.

But somewhere in the following 2 seasons.

Reactions: HabsQC

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Top 15 for sure with all their skillset they have. Top 10 potentially aswell.

Slaf if he continue like that, this guy will put 80-90 pts per season, maybe more.

Suzuki put 77 pts last year, imagine with Demidov... 80-85 pts per year with his high two-way game.

Demidov have 90-100 pts potential, his floor is still very very high aswell, 60-75 pts per year it's likely is floor. I think his skillset are too good to don't put PGG's seasons and more.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kinda tough to say, would prob need a list of other teams top 4, are we specifically talking forwards?

Becuase I’d say the fact that 3 of Montreals top 4 are wingers, going up against teams with 2 centers, or 2 dmen… would hurt them a bit in perception

Is there age restriction… cause a lot of the main contenders are more proven commodities…. Would be hard to put them below rebuilding teams until we see more from those teams

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Greetings everyone! I have traveled from the future to tell you the answer to answer this question correctly. I can't speak to much in depth but suffice to say thanks to Slafkovsky and a shoulder ride gone wrong with Caufield the core is only top 15.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Top 10 for forward core in those 4 guys

Top 10 for D core - Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Guhle

Goalies --> ????

The habs on paper are looking to be a carolina/dallas stars level contender in one to two years.

They could use Reinbacher maxing his ceiling, Dach becoming a top tier 2C and getting a good/non choking goalie (issues hurting teams like canes and leafs - tho we have more issues than just that atm) they could jump to top 3-4 team tier contender

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Not really sure. There's potential there, but a lot of it depends on how Demidov pans out. Particularly, if he can hack it as a Center, that'd do a lot for my perceptions of the Habs young core. And i'm not sure how much i'd bet on that. He's got superstar upside, but i'm not sure it's a slam dunk that he hits that ceiling. As it stands, i like Suzuki a lot as a player, but he's sort of more of a #1b type Center to me, which really needs more of a #1 or #1a complement to him, for me to really consider it a top tier core. I'm still a firm believer that strong teams are built down the middle, and that's probably the Habs weaker point right now.

Dach might soften that, but he's hard to get a read on because he's always injured, hard to depend on as part of the core if he's gonna continue to mix so much time.

Also depends a fair bit on how much further Slafkovsky can carry on with the sort of upward trajectory he was on last season. He's got all the physical tools to just keep on going, but i'm still not sure where the toolbox will plateau as a "ceiling" offensively.

Defensively, i like the group they're building. Lots of the big, mobile two-way sort of guys that can create a really robust d corps. Hutson is the complete wildcard in that aspect. I don't really like the way he plays, for building a winner around...but i think they kind of need his offensive impact to round out and balance what they have in others, and quarterback a top-end powerplay.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Not really sure. There's potential there, but a lot of it depends on how Demidov pans out. Particularly, if he can hack it as a Center, that'd do a lot for my perceptions of the Habs young core. And i'm not sure how much i'd bet on that. He's got superstar upside, but i'm not sure it's a slam dunk that he hits that ceiling. As it stands, i like Suzuki a lot as a player, but he's sort of more of a #1b type Center to me, which really needs more of a #1 or #1a complement to him, for me to really consider it a top tier core. I'm still a firm believer that strong teams are built down the middle, and that's probably the Habs weaker point right now.

Dach might soften that, but he's hard to get a read on because he's always injured, hard to depend on as part of the core if he's gonna continue to mix so much time.

Also depends a fair bit on how much further Slafkovsky can carry on with the sort of upward trajectory he was on last season. He's got all the physical tools to just keep on going, but i'm still not sure where the toolbox will plateau as a "ceiling" offensively.

Defensively, i like the group they're building. Lots of the big, mobile two-way sort of guys that can create a really robust d corps. Hutson is the complete wildcard in that aspect. I don't really like the way he plays, for building a winner around...but i think they kind of need his offensive impact to round out and balance what they have in others, and quarterback a top-end powerplay.

I appreciate a rival fan who can offer an informed opinion, while recognizing the potential of such a young core is a complete guess.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Suzuki and Caufield are good players, but they're not core pieces that make other teams tremble. The other two are still way up in the air, with Slaf of course having looked terrific to end last year. I think the Habs will need Slaf and Demidov to be their best players if we're going to talk about the Habs having a top-tier core. Ideally, one of the young defenders blossoms and becomes one of the "big four" pieces.

Top 10 potential, would need a lot of things to go right to go any higher. Middle of the league downside, mostly because the possible elite talent just hasn't truly established itself yet (which is unsurprising considering we're projecting recent draft picks).

There's building blocks a good young blueline in place, which while not part of the question as asked, could be the sort of thing that makes a team much stronger than the sum of its core. As a Leafs fan I think I'm qualified to say that a big and mighty core of four forwards that win polls isn't quite so important.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Really can't answer this at all yet. None have yet proven to be a legit superstar, but we can't just predict Slafkovsky/Demidov become one without playing that game for all other 31 teams as well.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If you compare that group of four to the best four player assets other organizations have (so for example, Smith and Celebrini would be considered for SJ even though they haven't debuted in the NHL yet), where would this core rank?
I am curious where YOU rank them?

What core 4 are better?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Top 10 for forward core in those 4 guys

Top 10 for D core - Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Guhle

Goalies --> ????

The habs on paper are looking to be a carolina/dallas stars level contender in one to two years.

They could use Reinbacher maxing his ceiling, Dach becoming a top tier 2C and getting a good/non choking goalie (issues hurting teams like canes and leafs - tho we have more issues than just that atm) they could jump to top 3-4 team tier contender
Jacob Fowler is probably a top 6 or 7 goalie prospect at the moment (Wheeler has him 3rd!). Would either be him or theyll just sign a UFA down the road if Fowler or Montembeault dont pan out.

Reactions: hamzarocks

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The thing I'd be worried about with the Habs build is that their top players/prospects are at the most replaceable positions.

Definitely some great pieces. It's just that their best are wingers.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The thing I'd be worried about with the Habs build is that their top players/prospects are at the most replaceable positions.

Definitely some great pieces. It's just that their best are wingers.

Yeah, but Slaf and Demidov have star//superstar potential, so that's not replaceable players.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I like Caulfield, and there's not many bigger Suzuki fans than me.

But Slafkovsky hasn't been consistent yet, and doesn't project to be a superstar. And Demidov is still unknown in the NHL. I just can't rank them higher than 25 until I see more with my eyes rather than projections. I don't typically put a lot of stock into anything in this sport until there's real NHL results.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
59 people voted and not a single one voted "top five". usually there is at least someone who chooses the most hyped option.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I don't believe Caufield will be in their core 4 in a couple years, I think he could be surpassed by Dach and will almost definitely be by at least one of the D. Are we just talking forward group or best 4 players on the team?

Anyways need to see Demidov in the NHL first but probably somewhere from 12-15 in 4 or 5 years. Unless one of those guys turns into a top 15ish player league wide I feel like it's hard to break into the top 10, this is me being pretty optimistic about Slaf and Demidov too - like 75 and 90 points respectively

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad