Where Does Auston Matthews Rank For You As A Goal Scorer All Time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
How is Sid objectively a top 20 goal scorer?

As of right now, within his own generation, Ovechkin, Matthews, Stamkos, Kovalchuk are better goal scorers.

And then add another 3-5 years of compiling, McDavid and Draisaitl will both pass him as well. Both have better goal finishes already, and have years to add more high-end finishes as well.

And then looking at that second list below: Iginla was better in my opinion, Pastrnak and Mackinnon can both definitely pass Crosby too, and then just for comparison purposes, other than the raw compiling, guys like Perry and Heatley are pretty on par to Crosby's too. Tavares is a throw in to illustrate that Crosbys top-end goal finishes aren't really that impressive other than 2 rockets.

Ovechkin9 rockets
Matthews1/1/1/2/3
Draisaitl2/2/4/4/4
Stamkos1/1/2/2/2/4/7/9
McDavid1/2/6/6/7/10
Kovalchuk1/2/3/4/6/6/7/8
Pastrnak1/2/7/10
Perry1/2/6/9/10
Iginla1/1/3/3
Heatley2/5/6/8/8/9
Crosby1/1/7/7
Tavares3/3/4/10
Mackinnon4/6/9/9/9

During his era, soon to be a 20 year period, he is #2 in goals scored, #3 in GPG (among the Top 20 goalscorers), won two Rockets, 3rd in playoff goals, 3rd in playoff GPG (among the Top 10 goalscorers) and is T1 is most playoff goals in a single year.

All while being the best playmaker of his era.

He is deserving of a Top 20ish goalscoring descriptor. Not that it means very much anyways. He loses absolutely nothing to player's who are noted as better goalscorers; Crosby is measured offensively by his point production.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Look at the goals in the 80s vs today.
This isn’t hard.

Rick freaking vaive had 3 50 goal seasons in a row.

Bossy being the best goal scorer ever despite only winning 2 rockets in his entire shortened career where he played 21-30 means there is no way he can be considered the best goal scorer of all time.

Neither is Matthews by the way. It’s silly to say bossy is the best goal scorer ever

Nobody has called Matthews the best goal scorer of all time I've not sure where You got that from.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
During his era, soon to be a 20 year period, he is #2 in goals scored, #3 in GPG (among the Top 20 goalscorers), won two Rockets, 3rd in playoff goals, 3rd in playoff GPG (among the Top 10 goalscorers) and is T1 is most playoff goals in a single year.

He is deserving of a Top 20ish goalscoring descriptor. Not that it means very much anyways. He loses absolutely nothing to player's who are noted as better goalscorers; Crosby is measured offensively by his point production.

I guess it depends on how you view goalscorers. Crosby’s length of prime as a good goalscorer is very strong, but he was only among the best goalscorers in the league a handful of times. He passes his contemporaries in totals goals and GPG because of his lack of down years more than a number of great years. Personally I think great years are more important. Someone like Matthews being a much better goal scorer over his best 8 years is far more important and I’d already have him over Crosby. I don’t think Sid is very close to a top 20 goal scorer at all.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I guess it depends on how you view goalscorers. Crosby’s length of prime as a good goalscorer is very strong, but he was only among the best goalscorers in the league a handful of times. He passes his contemporaries in totals goals and GPG because of his lack of down years more than a number of great years. Personally I think great years are more important. Someone like Matthews being a much better goal scorer over his best 8 years is far more important and I’d already have him over Crosby. I don’t think Sid is very close to a top 20 goal scorer at all.
But then your argument is who has the best goal scoring peak years and not at all who is actually the best goal scorer of all time.

AnomX

Oct 25, 2013
After his first game, I thought he'd have way more by now.... very disappointed. For that reason, I'm out.

EDIT: This was sarcasm btw lol

Last edited:
Reactions: banks

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
For all time goal scorers

Mario Lemeuix / Ovechkin - Seriously you can make a big time argument for Mario
Bossy
Hull
Matthews

I'd probably consider Matthews a projecyed top 5 goal scorer all time already

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
His 0.654 GPG after 562 games are "all-time great" numbers.

That average will obviously slip some as he gets into his 30s but he's arguably (?) already locked in a spot among the top 10 all-time. If he gets another 60+ (or more) season under his belt, or just consistently puts up big numbers for a few more years top 5 is very much on the table.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
But then your argument is who has the best goal scoring peak years and not at all who is actually the best goal scorer of all time.

More prime than peak I’d say. And I think the best goal scorer of all time should be largely based on your peak/prime. If someone is clearly better in their best 7-9 years or so, I don’t think aging better is enough to bridge the gap for the most part.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
More prime than peak I’d say. And I think the best goal scorer of all time should be largely based on your peak/prime. If someone is clearly better in their best 7-9 years or so, I don’t think aging better is enough to bridge the gap for the most part.
All-time doesn't really equal peak/prime. At all.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Like I said baring a career ending injury he's going to hit 600 career goals this yea, he's got an outside shot at 700 career goals and that's with being seen as more of a play maker.

How is a 600+ goal man, possibly a 700 career goal man not a top 20 goal scorer?
1) Very, very low peak. Adjusted-wise, his best 2 seasons are the T-69th and T-168th highest goal totals.

2) Only 4 seasons finishing top-10 in the league in goals.

3) Depending on how biased someone wants to look at it, he is at BEST the 3rd greatest goalscorer since 2005, and that's only because he has more games played (there is not a single argument for Crosby > Stamkos other than 40 more career goals). I'd say the same for Matthews too tbh - Crosby has 224 career goals on him, whereas outside of their matching 2x rockets, Crosby has a 2x 7th place finishes, and Matthews has an extra 1st, 2nd, 3rd place finish. But I'd still take Kovalchuk too (double the top-10 finishes, but 150 goals less).

So realistically he's the ~5th greatest of his era, and pretty much guaranteed to be passed by McDavid and Drai soon too.

Points #1 and #2 should be more than enough to not have him in the top-20. If Crosby is top-20, Iginla has to be like 15th RIGHT NOW. Better top-10 finishes, more career goals.

Reactions: DitchMarner

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

Would you say Marleau is a better goal scorer than Bure? It's pretty clear who the better goal scorer was if you watched them. Bure led the NHL in goals three times. Marleau never came close to being first in goals.

I think a lot of people would call Bure the greater (more accomplished/decorated) goal scorer as well and would also put him ahead of guys like Gartner, Andreychuk and Ciccarelli in that regard even though he had fewer career goals than all of them.

McPoyle

Start breaking bricks wet nips
Apr 3, 2019
Sol System
Hes top 10 now, will continue to move up as he ages. Biggest blemish on his career right now is his playoffs.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Hes top 10 now, will continue to move up as he ages. Biggest blemish on his career right now is his playoffs.

Agreed. Based on just his accomplishments to date, if he retired tomorrow, he's top 10.

He's been gunning for 50in50 for the last few years. It would be a pretty impressive feather in his cap if he can manage that once in his career. No one's been close to that but him in recent memory.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

In your opinion. It’s not the only consideration, but in my opinion, it’s the most important, by far. Especially for goal scoring, where there’s usually a bigger difference between a players best and worst years than as an overall player. There’s a reason Bossy is a top 10 goalscorer despite only playing 10 years. Or that Bure is pretty much unanimously considered a better goalscorer than guys like Shanahan and Andreychuk. You don’t usually make up a significant gap in someone’s best years by having better longevity

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Currently" He's the best goal scorer in the league and it's not arguable. In the history of the league? He has a lot of miles to put behind him. I think other people have it right he's in the top 20 right now. I expect that will change but I've expected a lot of things in my life that didn't pan out.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's a group of baseball fans that tried to quickly make a hockey website so it's littered with baseball origin errors.

Their roster size adjustments are structurally broken. They adjust to having star players of the 50s play only 15 minutes in the adjusted formula. If you look at adjusted scoring in the 50s and 60s star players are all structurally underestimated by 10-25%. You end up with Art Ross winners adjusting below 10th in scoring finishers from today. The creators don't care about hockey history and are only looking for Gretzky and more modern stats to "look" right.

No roster size adjustment size is needed for baseball so they never bothered to think it through.

I've bought it up to them several times and they just don't care. I hate how ubiquitous the stats are here because it's a lazy formula that's repeated everywhere.
You're right in that hockey reference adjusted stats don't work as well across different eras that are vastly different but they are a pretty decent baseline for players in relatively similar eras and contexts.

And I'll play devil's advocate for those that rightfully criticize adjusted stats and it's problems as it would be great in other stuff like top 10 finishes and vastly different talent streams were given the same critical treatment.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Would you say Marleau is a better goal scorer than Bure? It's pretty clear who the better goal scorer was if you watched them. Bure led the NHL in goals three times. Marleau never came close to being first in goals.

I think a lot of people would call Bure the greater (more accomplished/decorated) goal scorer as well and would also put him ahead of guys like Gartner, Andreychuk and Ciccarelli in that regard even though he had fewer career goals than all of them.
Considering Marleau played over 1000 more games than Bure, the context here is ridiculous.

Considering Marleau isn’t remotely in the conversation of best goal scorers of all time, it’s even more ridiculous.

All-time can be pretty subjective, but when discussing the absolute best of all-time, of course longevity plays a role. Hence why Ovechkin has a solid argument as the greatest of all time and Bure doesn’t.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Like I said baring a career ending injury he's going to hit 600 career goals this yea, he's got an outside shot at 700 career goals and that's with being seen as more of a play maker.

How is a 600+ goal man, possibly a 700 career goal man not a top 20 goal scorer?
Two words,

Mike Gartner

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
What's this rush to rank a bloke on an All-time list when he hasn't even cracked top 100 for goal scorers all time yet.

The fact that Matthews hasn't even cracked the top 100 all time goal scorers list, maybe wait until he hits 30 and you get a better idea of what's left for him to catch so and so on the list of scorers.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Without doing the historical math, my bet is that there are more than 20 guys that you can the same thought process for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad