Where Does Auston Matthews Rank For You As A Goal Scorer All Time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
He currently has 336 goals in 523 games with his goals per game being 5th all time at .642, he is at 175th all time and should move up to 146th with 22 goals in his remaining remaining 39 games.

If Matthews wins the rocket, In NHL history the following have won the goal scoring leader three times: Babe Dye, Charlie Conacher, Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, Jean Beliveau, Bobby Hull, Phil Esposito, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Brett Hull, Teemu Selanne, Pavel Bure, Ovechkin

Is he top 20 already? Peering into top 10?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
A big part of this is dependent on his long term effectiveness as a goal scorer. Ovie is such an incredible case because he was able to be so effective into his late 30s.

Matthews goal scoring is from his shot, hockey IQ, and versatility vs speed so I do think he can continue to be effective as he ages

Krigsgaldr

Jul 25, 2011
Lexington Kentucky
Nowhere as of now . For all I know he could retire early or fall off a cliff play wise or god forbid his career gets ended early . If he keeps it up at the rate he’s going he’ll be fairly high on the list provided he plays long enough. But for what it’s worth I don’t see him having ovi type longevity .

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
He's one of the best I've ever seen on capitalizing on freebies. Score 3-4 in a nothing game or easy W covers for the frequent no-shows in high stakes games. 'Goal scoring' vs. what he and his team have ultimately accomplished on the ice so far through his career (nothing) go hand in hand imo.

Very entertaining player. Will pad the stats for a very lucrative but ultimately underwhelming career. Ovechkin-lite.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Ovi plays a more rough and tumble style. Also, Matthews scores from areas that are much more sustainable long term. Much more net front than Ovi.

Yet here you are, just having to post.
Rinse/ repeat

Attachments

• F864BA2F-ABE5-4C8A-8B58-868D1B2A062A.jpeg
    F864BA2F-ABE5-4C8A-8B58-868D1B2A062A.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 12

Krigsgaldr

Jul 25, 2011
Lexington Kentucky
Ovi plays a more rough and tumble style. Also, Matthews scores from areas that are much more sustainable long term. Much more net front than Ovi.

Definitely but that’s not why I don’t think he’ll stick around as long as ovie . I just don’t see him playing past when he feels like he’s made his legacy and money is all . Nothing wrong with that or a slight to AM . Just my feeling on him .

Yet here you are, just having to post.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
Don't have to think hard to see Top 20. Gets mirky after that. He's certainly not yet in that top tier:

Ovechkin, Gretzky, Lemieux, both Hulls, Bossy, Esposito, Howe, Jagr, Richard, Lafleur

After those guys stuff gets real murky because you have Selanne, Bure, Robitaille, Yzerman, Shanahan, Dionne, Gartner, Iginla, Kurri, Bondra, Mikita, Stamkos, McDavid, Crosby, definitely forgetting several more guys.

And like Jagr, Yzerman, etc some of these guys single season numbers might not jump out as much but they were clearly consistent producers and a case of COULD have had more 40+ whatever seasons if they just focused on that (like a Bondra, etc).

So Auston Matthews hasn't broken past that 2nd tier list by any stretch of the imagination to me at least. You can ignore the GPG numbers as several of the guys in the 2nd tier at one point had Top 10 in that category in their earlier years (Selanne was a .645 after his 3rd Rocket).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad