Where do the Bruins go from here?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
All I can say is that your opinion here is bad.......really bad. :thumbd:

I guess we need to start looking for a Center that used to sleep in Bruin pajamas. :nod:
Why is his opinion bad?

Over in the poll section they are ranking centers.

So far 21 C's have been ranked. 16 more are poll options and 7 more in the "to be added" section. None of them are Zacha or Coyle.

That means at best HF would view Zacha (the better of the two) as the 45th best center in the league. However, I'm guessing we could easily name more that are better than him.

Also worth noting, none of the 44 centers in contention in the poll include Bedard, Carlsson, Fantili, Smith, Wright, Johnson, Mctavish etc. It's not at all inconceivable that at least a few of those guys establish themselves as better than Zacha next season.

Zacha/Coyle are not top 50 centers at least and maybe not top 60 either as Hockey4lyfe said.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafshater67

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
What do you want me to tell you?

Bruins have literally the worst 1/2 center punch in the league. Like 32/32.

Name one that's worse? Maaaaybe the Flyers depending on Couturiers health. It's not even debatable that they have bottom 3 center depth in the league.

Bruins fans are arguing for the sake of arguing at this point regarding their centers. They are solid at other positions I concede but Bruins fans defending their centers is crazy.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
What do you want me to tell you?

Bruins have literally the worst 1/2 center punch in the league. Like 32/32.

Name one that's worse? Maaaaybe the Flyers depending on Couturiers health. It's not even debatable that they have bottom 3 center depth in the league.

Bruins fans are arguing for the sake of arguing at this point regarding their centers. They are solid at other positions I concede but Bruins fans defending their centers is crazy.
Bruins fans know management will do something.

Like I said. You have enough worries on your own plate. The last time Toronto fans experienced glory was on May 2, 1967.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Team moves on. I remember being in the same situation when the sedins retired after 18 years with us. We just have to move on. Bruins might take a step back but that’s part or life.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Team moves on. I remember being in the same situation when the sedins retired after 18 years with us. We just have to move on. Bruins might take a step back but that’s part or life.
Bruins fans should be terrified of this comparison.

Although, if you combine Vancouvers centers and Bostons D & goaltending you'd have yourselves a nice little team.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Their 1C is a low tier 2C and their 2C is a 3c. Picking up Mark Scheifele would be huge - they should try.
How are they going to land him?

First of all, his cap hit exceeds their cap space. The can trade players away but they are already a paper thin team. They can't lose more depth.

Secondly, the Bruins have maybe the worst prospect pool in the league. Scheifele is a 1C making only 6.1 million a year. Other teams will offer more than Lysell.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Their 1C is a low tier 2C and their 2C is a 3c. Picking up Mark Scheifele would be huge - they should try.

Being honest with ourselves Coyle is likely a 2c on many teams, but not at all ideal for an elite contender. Bruins center depth has been unrivaled since 2009.

Zacha remains to be seen as he was a strength when Krejci was injured.

A true 1c to keep Coyle as one of the better 3c in the NHL is ideal and where Sweeney is likely lost.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
How are they going to land him?

First of all, his cap hit exceeds their cap space. The can trade players away but they are already a paper thin team. They can't lose more depth.

Secondly, the Bruins have maybe the worst prospect pool in the league. Scheifele is a 1C making only 6.1 million a year. Other teams will offer more than Lysell.

If the Bruins have a hard on for Scheifele, I am sure WPG fans would like nothing more than to get their Helly replacement in the deal. Its not the direction I would take, but its an obvious answer to your question.

I dunno. It's a team with 2 top 15 wingers, 2 top 15 D and 2 top 15 goalies and all but one of those guys is on the right side of 30.

But they have two middle six centers playing top six C. They will probably be asked to play conservative to try to win 1-0 on a Pasta PPG as the blueprint. It's a one a done or just missing the playoffs team.

However, it feels like there was been a PLD or a Horvat or a Scheifele or a Miller or a Lindholm available almost every year. If they can't pull it off this summer due to assets or cap space, next summer they will have OODLES of cap space and who knows how their prospects grow. There is a chance they pull it off or there is a chance they slip into mediocrity and have to adjust. The team has the most wins in the cap era and they have done it by slowly bringing in replacements for top talent lost you can forgive Bruins fans for seeing a Cup caliber team that is missing one big piece and not giving up on the matter.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I wouldnt be surprised if they still make the playoffs. Team has built a winning culture for a long time. Will be an interesting season for them though.

Reactions: Ladyfan

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It’s better than tearing down an entire team that still has lots of good talent to suck for a few years hoping you strike prospect gold and those prospects all pan out. The only people in the world who think tearing everything down and starting from scratch just because a team isn’t a clear cut championship contender on paper are fans on the internet. It’s the weirdest thing, and it’s becoming more and more prevalent. I wonder how many times people have to watch organizations struggle to pull out of this tank nosedive before they realize that good scouts and a good development team are a far more optimal way to go than simply sucking for years hoping you land a couple of top 2 picks. Especially given how random the lottery is.
I've had this argument for a decade. Tanking rarely works out. There's been a recent change with NJ, Carolina, Florida, Toronto, Edmonton, Colorado looking good but before the past season the only team able to pull it off properly since Chicago was Tampa. Colorado and Toronto improved on their second attempt.
Big reason why it doesn't work is that these teams have to be gutted to get high picks and you throw these young players to the wolves without support. They lose, get disgruntled and in three short years of losing are asking for top dollar making it hard to add depth. - and that's if you don't get a Yakupov.

How many years do we have to see teams wallow in the basement before fans start calling it out. Sure, if your team sucks, it sucks, NJ comes to mind, and you have to rebuild but don't purposefully go that route.

Reactions: GOilers88

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
If there's one team that should earn the benefit of doubt it's The Bruins. People have been saying they were done for over a decade.
They rebuilt their whole defense on the fly. Going from Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamilton, Ference to McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Grz.
They transitioned from Thomas/Rask to Ullmark/Swayman.
They lost 1C Marc Savard and traded Joe Thornton for peanuts and survived.
They went through cap hell years ago and it gutted the roster and they survived.

Losing Bergeron is massive. But hopefully the culture that he and Chara instilled continues. If guys like McAvoy and DeBrusk, etc. continue that culture then the team will be fine.
Losing Hall, Nosek and possibly Krejci are big hits also. That kind of depth is what made them so dangerous last season.

But I'll believe they're bad when they're actually bad. Until then I just figure they'll somehow continue to be one of the top teams in the league.

Reactions: jgatie and Ladyfan

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I've had this argument for a decade. Tanking rarely works out. There's been a recent change with NJ, Carolina, Florida, Toronto, Edmonton, Colorado looking good but before the past season the only team able to pull it off properly since Chicago was Tampa. Colorado and Toronto improved on their second attempt.
Big reason why it doesn't work is that these teams have to be gutted to get high picks and you throw these young players to the wolves without support. They lose, get disgruntled and in three short years of losing are asking for top dollar making it hard to add depth. - and that's if you don't get a Yakupov.

How many years do we have to see teams wallow in the basement before fans start calling it out. Sure, if your team sucks, it sucks, NJ comes to mind, and you have to rebuild but don't purposefully go that route.
You're missing Pittsburg first of all. 3 cups because of Crosby and Malkin.

But I think the reason tanking fails more often than not is simply bad luck with the draft crops.

How unlucky could Edmonton possibly be to get three 1st overall picks in a row and have it be RNH, Hall, and Yakupov.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
You mean their franchise #1 center and team heartbeat?

And their #2 center and their 3rd best winger and two important deadline pick ups.

Acting like they are basically the same team is insane.

Losing Hall stinks because of his playoff performance but he wasn’t that good in the regular season. Debrusk is our 3rd best winger.

Reactions: wintersej
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad