Where do the Bruins go from here?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Just hope to god your bargain bin hunting works. They just dont look like a team that'll go very far even with playoffs. Ullmark had a fluke, but they lost Clifton as well (who I liked a ton for Boston)

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Still a playoff team but they look a lot more like STL post Pietroangelo / J-Bouw than a contender. I suppose that changes if, as noted, Lindholm or Pettersson makes their way there but even then very little else is coming by way of impact ELCs as well. This is obviously a transitional year given who they’re trying out via UFA and how many contracts are coming off in 1-2 years, but given their management, I don’t think they’ll retool or develop well enough to avoid mediocrity.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
First of all, as a Leafs fan and first class Bruins hater, happy trails to Bergeron. Absolute legend, classy human being, best defensive forward to ever do it. Sorry to see him go.

That said, I think the Bruins are screwed.

I have a long history of posts suggesting I think they should clean house, trade McAvoy & Pasta, end up with maybe two top 20 prospects, a few other good ones, and some 1st round picks and set a rebuild light years ahead.

Bruins fans think this is the dumbest idea ever and remain seemingly defiant to the notion that they won't be contenders forever. Fine.

Where do they go now then? Don't want a pissing fest, genuinely curious what people think they can do to remain afloat moving forward because I just really don't see it.

You lose Chara, you lose Rask, now Bergeron. Marchand looked very pedestrian down the stretch and at 35 isn't trending upwards. One of the worst prospect pools in the league. Lost their #1 & 2 centers in the same summer and don't have the cap space to replace even one much less both since they paid them 5.5 million combined and a good center costs upwards of 7.

Please don't tell me Zacha/Coyle as your 1/2 center punch is fine. Bruins don't have the assets or cap space to land Scheifele.

They lost Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, Bertuzzi, Orlov, from a roster that already was bounced in round 1.

Really, what the hell do they do?
They will figure it out.

You have enough on your own plate to worry about:laugh:

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Don't forget replacing their long time #2 center and often best playoff performer as well.

So the new narrative from Bruins fans is going to be that Patrice Bergeron was holding you back and you are a better team without that dead weight?

Second or third time in this thread I've seen it mentioned that you were a better team without him.
Oh please. STOP

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
Don't forget replacing their long time #2 center and often best playoff performer as well.

So the new narrative from Bruins fans is going to be that Patrice Bergeron was holding you back and you are a better team without that dead weight?

Second or third time in this thread I've seen it mentioned that you were a better team without him.

Zero Bruins fans have said or think this.

What I specifically said was that the best the Bruins played in the series vs. Florida was when Begeron out but that is obviously because he came back hurt and was unable to perform to his typical standard.

The point in mentioning this at all was to point out that the Bruins as a team don't just immediately devolve into an ECHL squad when Bergeron isn't in the lineup.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Bruins were one of my favorite teams on paper last summer and I was very vocal about that. They had those injuries to deal with but their healthy team on paper looked like it could beat anybody. I never imagined their regular season would turn out that great though.

Anyway, this off-season it's the polar opposite... I think their defense and goaltending is fine, but what they lost up front makes this team completely different. There's no bonafide top line center anymore, they go from having Hall on the 3rd line to playing someone in the top 6 who doesn't belong there, more stress on their top guys to carry the team but Marchand is already 35 and now without his usual center so you probably can't expect miracles, they brought in slower guys like Lucic and JvR in a league where fast teams tend to have success... I could keep going.

In other words I think this forward group is a problem and it's more glaring when a decent forward group is pretty standard in the league these days.

Not to mention how big of a loss Bergeron is off the ice as well. You lose a guy like that and teams just seem to lose something more. Last happened with SJ and Pavelski, team that was in a relatively similar situation.

There are many teams who want to break through in the East, and even more teams who should make the playoffs again. I don't know exactly how the Bruins are going to look like, but it doesn't feel great. It doesn't help that since they swept a lot of teams last year, most teams have some extra motivation to kick their asses this year.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is a bit of an exaggeration; see:

Consensus 13th Cup favorite certainly isn't "almost everyone said we wouldn't make the playoffs".

I mean the Atlantic was stacked. If you head to the "Predict the Atlantic" thread from last season most had them out or fighting for a WC spot. When your division is stacked, being the 13th best team can mean missing the playoffs instead of the 17th best team.

Reactions: turkulad

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
I mean the Atlantic was stacked. If you head to the "Predict the Atlantic" thread from last season most had them out or fighting for a WC spot. When your division is stacked, being the 13th best team can mean missing the playoffs instead of the 17th best team.

Sure.

But "can mean missing the playoffs" is a far cry from "almost everyone said we wouldn't make the playoffs".

Reactions: BrokenFace

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
All the Bruins need is a couple capable centres who can chip in for 50 points and I think they will be fine. If I were them I'd just roll through the season and see how it goes. Soap the C on Mac and see where they are at the deadline. I'm sure if theyre in the mix a centre will be available . What I wouldn't do is give the C to marchand. He's not captain material imo. That's a bad move..

Matthews is rumoured to be at 13.5. Marner & Leon will follow suit followed by every other top player. We are in the era of $ 13 million/py contracts. 11 for the next 8 for Pasta will be on the very low end for an elite player.
Yeah mcd is getting drai paid. If drai leaves I pity the team giving him top dollar.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
All the Bruins need is a couple capable centres who can chip in for 50 points and I think they will be fine. If I were them I'd just roll through the season and see how it goes. Soap the C on Mac and see where they are at the deadline. I'm sure if theyre in the mix a centre will be available . What I wouldn't do is give the C to marchand. He's not captain material imo. That's a bad move..

Yeah mcd is getting drai paid. If drai leaves I pity the team giving him top dollar.
You are wrong about Brad. He should be wearing the "C"

He speaks to coaches, players and the guys in stripes (and they listen).

He sets up plays and from what I have heard (from those in the know) holds the room.

Marchy will be a great captain.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
First of all, as a Leafs fan and first class Bruins hater, happy trails to Bergeron. Absolute legend, classy human being, best defensive forward to ever do it. Sorry to see him go.

That said, I think the Bruins are screwed.

I have a long history of posts suggesting I think they should clean house, trade McAvoy & Pasta, end up with maybe two top 20 prospects, a few other good ones, and some 1st round picks and set a rebuild light years ahead.

Bruins fans think this is the dumbest idea ever and remain seemingly defiant to the notion that they won't be contenders forever. Fine.

Where do they go now then? Don't want a pissing fest, genuinely curious what people think they can do to remain afloat moving forward because I just really don't see it.

You lose Chara, you lose Rask, now Bergeron. Marchand looked very pedestrian down the stretch and at 35 isn't trending upwards. One of the worst prospect pools in the league. Lost their #1 & 2 centers in the same summer and don't have the cap space to replace even one much less both since they paid them 5.5 million combined and a good center costs upwards of 7.

Please don't tell me Zacha/Coyle as your 1/2 center punch is fine. Bruins don't have the assets or cap space to land Scheifele.

They lost Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, Bertuzzi, Orlov, from a roster that already was bounced in round 1.

Really, what the hell do they do?

in summer 2026 they can sign UFA Eichel.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Bergeron was a great player but one 38 year old retiring doesn't sink an entire team. Bruins have elite defense and goaltending, probably the best in the league for both. That alone will win them enough games to make the playoffs. Then there's that guy who won the rocket a couple years ago and put up another 60 goals last year who's locked in for another 8 years...

Bruins will be fine. Won't be setting another regular season wins record any time soon but they're not about to instantly fall from top of the league to the bottom.

I didn't read the whole post initially. Chara and Rask?? lol. Those guys have already been replaced. Again, elite #1 D in McAvoy, strong #1B/#2 in Lindholm, best goalie tandem in the league with a clear goalie of the future in Swayman. Keep dreaming, bud.
Best goalies in the league??

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Others have said it, but if the Bruins and Bruins fans truly believe they have a legit shot at potentially competing for a Stanley Cup….

Center depth of Pavel Zacha, Charlie Coyle, Morgan Geekie, and Patrick Brown would scare the living shit out of me. Would be hard pressed to rank Zacha or Coyle in the top 60-70 centers in the league. (imo) For the most important position that’s scary.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
They obviously need a center - should try to go for Elias Lindholm. Not sure what other 1C's are even available. Scheiffele perhaps

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Still a playoff team but they look a lot more like STL post Pietroangelo / J-Bouw than a contender. I suppose that changes if, as noted, Lindholm or Pettersson makes their way there but even then very little else is coming by way of impact ELCs as well. This is obviously a transitional year given who they’re trying out via UFA and how many contracts are coming off in 1-2 years, but given their management, I don’t think they’ll retool or develop well enough to avoid mediocrity.

the Blues decided to bite the bullet and do a re-tool. They are set up nicely now. Probably not in 23-24, But I see them starting another run in 24-25. Their prospect pool looks legit to add to Thomas and Kyrou.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
They don't need to rebuild. They have a solid core of Pastrnak/McAvoy/Ullmark/Lindholm. They need to find a C, that's really about it.

Pasta is 27, McAvoy 25. They'll be fine, this next year is gonna be a downer though, that C depth is just bad.
2 CENTERS as well as best def center ever gone forever.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Would be hard pressed to rank Zacha or Coyle in the top 60-70 centers in the league. (imo)
All I can say is that your opinion here is bad.......really bad. :thumbd:

#1 GENERATIONAL CENTER RETIRED, #2 CENTER GONE. GOOD LUCK LOL
I guess we need to start looking for a Center that used to sleep in Bruin pajamas. :nod:

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad