Where did Yzerman go wrong with the rebuild?

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Gibson has started the season with 1 point in 7 games. Just as an FYI..

Just get over it.

The lockerroom spirit is more important than any single player or contract.

Something happened, and we in here really don't know what. But the reaction was so big, that we can expect, it wasn't a minor thing.

Vrana and Walman have been examples what Yzerman will not want to have. Maybe Zadina too. It's a clear message.

The direction is perfectionism as a pro like Yzerman did he see all the good and bad examples on his player career and glory days. He will pretty much know it best, from Probert to Lidström. The scale is quite wide.

Bad apples will go and good ones will be brought in. One-by-one.
Sorry, it was a bit of a soap box moment. Just feels like Steve could do a bit better job of this stuff. He sold off parts to get Vrana and Walman and then sold off or got basically nothing for getting rid of them. Not the best way to rebuild a roster. Plus, he gave Walman another contract in the first place, he wasn't so much a locker room cancer at that point I guess. Oh well things change.

DavidpauseReinbacher

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Just get over it.

Something happened, and we in here really don't know what. But the reaction was so big, that we can expect, it wasn't a minor thing.

Vrana and Walman have been examples what Yzerman will not want to have. Maybe Zadina too. It's a clear message.

The direction is perfectionism as a pro like Yzerman did he see all the good and bad examples on his player career and glory days. He will pretty much know it best, from Probert to Lidström. The scale is quite wide.

This. He. Wants pros who compete hard so when a kid does get a call up it's the right environment. Nobody bats a 100 in trades or free agency. That being said our team now is much better than the team when he took over. The veteran name signings have ranged from chariot to Kane. Some good some bad. Chariot is his worst deal more so than copp. Copp and Compher aav is manageable especially as cap goes up.

We really need Ed to make strides this year. Once our defensive floor goes up our team will be that much better.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
we have no way of knowing whether Detroit was one of those other few teams

we also have no way of knowing whether if they weren't it was because he wasn't interested or if it was because Detroit wasn't interested or both

and as for that last part it's just speculation on your part but if Yzerman wasn't willing to give him 7 years when he was willing to give Copp 5 at the same money I would classify that as the Wings not being very interested to be honest

Oh good grief. Sure it was technically possible Trocheck could've signed in Detroit in the same way it's possible Yzerman could've traded Zadina for McDavid.

But it requires that you ignore:

That Trocheck himself said New York was his #1 choice and he only spoke to a few teams
That Trocheck signed a 7-year deal
Every UFA contract Yzerman has given in Detroit.
That the Rangers are a Cup competitive team and the Wings were a 74 point team

So you ignore all that evidence, yet you look at Copp's contract and somehow take that as an indication that Yzerman wasn't even interested in Trochek? lol

If you want to be upset about it, knock yourself out. And thank you for proving my point about some Wings fans still thinking it's 2008 regarding UFA's signing in Detroit.

this is a weird question because I guess my answer here is most free agents with any sort of actual profile? there's usually reports of multiple interested teams for these things and even just the Wings specifically there's usually a couple players that they're reportedly interested in that doesn't end up actually happening basically every year

It's not a weird question and I should've known you'd argue in bad faith. Short of players like Stamkos, there usually isn't much substantiated information about who teams tried to get and didn't.

Historically the Wings have rarely given any information into who they tried to sign but didn't. "Kicking the tires" sound familiar?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It's not a weird question and I should've known you'd argue in bad faith. Short of players like Stamkos, there usually isn't much substantiated information about who teams tried to get and didn't.

Historically the Wings have rarely given any information into who they tried to sign but didn't. "Kicking the tires" sound familiar?
People are absolutely foolish to think that every conversation between an agent and a GM gets reported or leaked to the media. At the end of the day, we have no idea who exactly Yzerman chats with.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just get over it.

I can understand wanting him gone and I am sure there are some off-ice things that played into that.

I just don't get why you wouldn't wait and put him on waivers. He seems like someone who would have gotten grabbed off waivers, given that he is currently playing on the top pairing for a team right now.

I don't know that preserving culture is a good excuse for what I think is bad asset management.

I also don't think he is the ONLY player we could have moved to clear cap space. Especially if we were willing to give away a 2nd rounder to do so.

DavidpauseReinbacher

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
*Bickering over lighting 2nd round picks on fire
You think Yzerman didn't attempt to sell? Or we believing other GMs over our own. San Jose got the deal to take him because the interested parties were probably our direct competition. And they weren't gonna get paid to take walman the same way u can send him to a bad San Jose team.

Does everything need to be laid out with bread crumbs and a glass of milk ?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You think Yzerman didn't attempt to sell? Or we believing other GMs over our own. San Jose got the deal to take him because the interested parties were probably our direct competition. And they weren't gonna get paid to take walman the same way u can send him to a bad San Jose team.

Does everything need to be laid out with bread crumbs and a glass of milk ?
I don’t know why the hell he felt the urgency to move him when we did and I don’t think that was the only possible way we could have shedded cap if that’s what they felt was needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad