Where did Yzerman go wrong with the rebuild?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
To sum it up, really good at drafting, really poor at free agency.
Stuck with horrible contracts which in turn are blocking younger players from getting a chance.
would say that's the case last year more than this year. with sprong n perron gone a spot open to fight for in the middle six. also unless veleno gets a bit more focused n consistent that's another spot that could be had, plus injuries (fabbri's due for 1) etc. guessing berggren n 1 forward rookie see a far share of ice this year. also would bet Ed a lock to make the team and prolly see them carrying aljo as 6th/7th d man, not sure if he waiver exempt or not.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Team has improved every year.

Season 2024-25 - ?? points
Season 2023-24 - 91 points
Season 2022-23 - 80 points
Season 2021-22 - 74 points
Season 2020-21 - 48 points
Season 2019-20 - 39 points

I could argue, that the team direction is right - not wrong.

Just a nitpick but raw point totals doesn't fully show improvement as it's all relative to the strength of the other teams. No one can argue that last year wasn't a major step forward for the rebuild regardless.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Can't relate to the notion that the team is heading in the wrong direction.
- Last season was special in the way that Seider and Raymond was still on ELC. That meant that we could spend more on expensive veterans.
- With Ray and Seider getting paid market value, the room for players like Ghost and Perron disappear
- SY couldn't have done much about the goalie situation. Cossa and Augustine need time to mature. Having faith in them means that we shouldn't trade for expensive veterans in net. Connor Hellebuyck could probably been had, but SY choose to go the Cossa/Augustine route instead
- Vrana or Zadina coulnd't been handled differently
- Only the Walman deal is still a head scratcher, but I believe it will be resolved later this summer with SJ taking on some bad contracts as a third part in a trade (Ekblad, Trouba or other)
- Great to first a) get Kane, then b) resign him at a good price and term
- I have nothing against the Copp or Compher deals
- The Holl deal is the bad move made. I hope we can get rid of it to SJ later
- Husso deal won't hurt us long term
- Petry is cheap
- I also believe that there is a reason for Berggren to get dumped to GRG. Vrana type of reason

In contrast, Holland kept doing moves all the time that hurt the team. Bad contracts, strange trades, bad drafting.

Reactions: SoupNazi

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Where exactly did Yzerman go wrong since taking over? I thought it would be good to have a centralized location for these discussions. It is very clear that some think we should already be back in the playoffs at this point.

Here is the roster he inherited:
He didn’t win the lottery…Wasn’t awarded the top pick.

End of story.

Edit - if I were to be critical of Yzerman - it would be with his choice of head coach.

Last edited:

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
2nd-7th rounds, Draper & amateur scouting have been meh at best and moderately below average at worst.

How did you reach this opinion? Are you just regurgitating the same nonsense you read on the internet?

Because I go back and look at 2nd-7th rounds to see who Draper 'missed', and there's none. Now if you are going alllll theeee wayyyy back to 2019 and looking, then consider Draper didn't even become director of amature scouting until July 11th, 2019 as Yzerman just came onboard that year. #context

This ridiculous narrative that "Draper's amature scouting has been meh" needs to stop. If there's no talented players in the draft, then you can't blame Draper for a no talent in the draft. He can't just shit talent.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
This is now solely Yzerman's team going forward. Enough about Ken Holland. His job was to keep a a team in the playoffs at all costs. I can guarantee KH would not be afforded 5+ years and endless patience. Last years team was in a comfortable spot, 8 points up, I believe and just had to hold serve to be in the playoffs. Instead they shit the bed and all we got was a collective shrug. We didn't expect to be there anyway. We're not ready yet. The rebuild, blah blah blah. It's Ken Holland's fault and the fans are just drinking the kool aid.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
This is now solely Yzerman's team going forward. Enough about Ken Holland. His job was to keep a a team in the playoffs at all costs. I can guarantee KH would not be afforded 5+ years and endless patience. Last years team was in a comfortable spot, 8 points up, I believe and just had to hold serve to be in the playoffs. Instead they shit the bed and all we got was a collective shrug. We didn't expect to be there anyway. We're not ready yet. The rebuild, blah blah blah. It's Ken Holland's fault and the fans are just drinking the kool aid.
Well, Ken Holland said he was gunna retool on the fly and keep the team in the playoffs. He failled utterly. Team was not in the playoffs, his drafting outside of Dylan Larkin was mostly garbage, and the team was capped out to boot.

If you can't see the nucleus being built for a consistent playoff team that's on you, not Yzerman.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
How did you reach this opinion? Are you just regurgitating the same nonsense you read on the internet?

Because I go back and look at 2nd-7th rounds to see who Draper 'missed', and there's none. Now if you are going alllll theeee wayyyy back to 2019 and looking, then consider Draper didn't even become director of amature scouting until July 11th, 2019 as Yzerman just came onboard that year. #context

This ridiculous narrative that "Draper's amature scouting has been meh" needs to stop. If there's no talented players in the draft, then you can't blame Draper for a no talent in the draft. He can't just shit talent.
So if we're going to start at 2020, here are some of my thoughts:

2020: Wallinder, not a bad pick, but a good portion of people wanted JJ Peterka on that day in that slot. Niederbach was a decent gamble that just didn't work out. Hanas was a poor gamble, as he was projected to go in the late 3rd to early 4th round. Sebrango was a useful asset even though he's nothing special, Viro just hasn't progressed much. I thought Lukas Cormier would have been a good fit in Detroit, he's at least a good AHLer who will get more games in the league this year.

2021: Buium, not a bad pick so far, but I would have gambled on Logan Stankoven (very good) or Francesco Pinelli (disappointing to this point). Mazur looks good, so credit to Draper there.

2022: James was a reach, would have taken Seamus Casey, Buchelnikov is a good player but taken a bit early and I would have taken Lane Hutson there. Lombardi still has a chance, was a good gamble.

2023: Augustine, great pick, good range to take him there. Wouldn't have taken Gibson or Cleveland, would have taken Riley Heidt and Jayden Perron there. Too early to tell. I liked the Dower Nilsson pick in the 3rd.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
So if we're going to start at 2020, here are some of my thoughts:

2020: Wallinder, not a bad pick, but a good portion of people wanted JJ Peterka on that day in that slot. Niederbach was a decent gamble that just didn't work out. Hanas was a poor gamble, as he was projected to go in the late 3rd to early 4th round. Sebrango was a useful asset even though he's nothing special, Viro just hasn't progressed much. I thought Lukas Cormier would have been a good fit in Detroit, he's at least a good AHLer who will get more games in the league this year.

2021: Buium, not a bad pick so far, but I would have gambled on Logan Stankoven (very good) or Francesco Pinelli (disappointing to this point). Mazur looks good, so credit to Draper there.

2022: James was a reach, would have taken Seamus Casey, Buchelnikov is a good player but taken a bit early and I would have taken Lane Hutson there. Lombardi still has a chance, was a good gamble.

2023: Augustine, great pick, good range to take him there. Wouldn't have taken Gibson or Cleveland, would have taken Riley Heidt and Jayden Perron there. Too early to tell. I liked the Dower Nilsson pick in the 3rd.

You're talking about the players drafted that you don't like. I am talking about the players from the draft that hasn't amounted to anything. What, maybe 3 players look like they may become NHL players from 2nd-7th in 2020 -- and only two played 100 games (Ottawa is bad at developing for this reason).

So that means Draper (or any scout) had like a 2% chance at finding a player from 2nd-7th. You are blaming Draper for there being no talent in these drafts. Do you think that might seem a bit unfair?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
You're talking about the players drafted that you don't like. I am talking about the players from the draft that hasn't amounted to anything. What, maybe 3 players look like they may become NHL players from 2nd-7th in 2020 -- and only two played 100 games (Ottawa is bad at developing for this reason).

So that means Draper (or any scout) had like a 2% chance at finding a player from 2nd-7th. You are blaming Draper for there being no talent in these drafts. Do you think that might seem a bit unfair?
Peterka, Evangelista, Faber, Lohrei, Cuylle, Laferriere, Levi are NHLers now. Bordeleau, Ponomarev, Andrae, Goncalves, Cormier, Gushchin, Kaiser, Sourdif, Thompson, Berard, Kessel, Aman, Tverberg still tracking pretty well. It's not a great draft in terms of depth, but a little better than you're giving ti credit for.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002

Yeah I may have wanted a slightly different strategy for picks but they haven't been horrendous:

NHL Track: (Progressing equal or better than expectations, so still a legit shot at the NHL)
2023- Danielson, ASP, Augustine, Gibson, and Finnie.
2022- Kasper, Buchelnikov, Lombardi, Johansson, James (maybe 3rd/4th line guy)
2021- Edvinsson, Cossa, Buium, Mazur, Savage
2020- Raymond, Wallinder
2019- Seider, Tuomisto, Johansson, Soderblom

2020 is probably the only year I'd categorize as disappointing right now. We had 8 picks in the 1st 4 rounds and our picks were high, so I would have liked to see more from this draft. But honestly any draft where you get 2 NHLers out of it is pretty solid. 3 is great. I would have liked to see some more skilled forward picks the past few drafts, but they went very defense heavy. If we can develop them, they are solid trade assets, but you have to clear space for them to showcase at the NHL level and Stevie needs to do a better job with that.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I think it was commonly known that Arizona (picking at 6) wanted a defenseman (Reinbacher or Simashev, they weren't likely taking Sandin Pellika due to having Soderstrom) and could have gotten a D by trading down. It was becoming more well known in the week leading up to the draft that Philadelphia (picking at 7) was targeting Michkov more heavily, so if you're Yzerman and the Wings, you'd have to trade up to 6 with Arizona to get Michkov. You're not giving up 17, but you could have easily given up 42 and 43 (essentially became Gibson and later Cleveland) to move up to 6. These things were discussed at the time, at least somewhat.
That seems like a lot of hand wringing about a guy who quite possibly was never a draft target. I sure never gave a second thought to not drafting Michkov.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
One day in 1965, Steve Yzerman skated out of his mother's 5-hole and decided he wanted to be the general manager of the Detroit Red Wings. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. *

After a few decades that involved losing some teeth to a drinking bout with Mickey Redmond, getting his orbital bone fractured after playfully ripping Kenny Daniels' mustache off on a dare, sawing his own leg in half to prove a point about particle physics to Sean Avery, and also some few games of hockeyball, Yzerman (known as "Stevie Y" for the constant stream of demands of "Stevie, WHY would you ever DO that?!?!?" from various teammates and coaches and opponents throughout his career) settled his sights on Florida.

The state of Florida is kindof shaped like a drooping wang, and Yzerman decided that it was a fine place to hone his appreciation for sports talk radio fans and their wannabe suck-ups - internet forum denizens. After a few years of helping build a Cup-winning team, Yzerman changed his name to YzerPlan and moved to Detroit to take over his old team.

And destroy it.

Since becoming GM of the Red Wings, YzerPlan has been seen/rumored to have
  • Paid Justin Abdelkader millions of dollars to stay in Switzerland. Probably because of that thing that happened when they never played together.
  • Made the city of Detroit the butt of jokes and a less-then-desirable place to raise a family for prospective players.
  • Created a cartel specifically designed to raise the price of octopi in Wayne County and keep it there.
  • Calmed the feuds between Eminem, Kid Rock, and Insane Clown Posse, and therefore making the rock-rap/hick-hop/magnets-how-do-they-work world that much more boring.
  • Steadily increased the points-per-season max and playoff viability of the Red Wings without overspending too much.
  • Failed to do anything about that one gal at the Deja Vu in Ypsilanti.
Devoted fans of "the YzerPlan", as he insists on being called, are usually seen slack-jawed and drooling, shuffling in circles whilst fondling much-creased pamphlets entitled "Road to the Cup 2007 - 2008". Rumors abound that these poor souls are drained of their blood each night to feed the ever-increasing hunger of McCartferatu, The YzerPlan's most devoted and vocal servant.

However it ends for The YzerPlan - in glory or in shame - the hockeyball world can rest assured that every dark twist and turn, every buttery nook and cranny, will be examined with electron microscopes here, on this very forum; the very opposite of "hush-hush, and on the Q T."

- Plausible Keats

* Thank you, Douglas Adams.
Her name is Mercedes. Show her some respect.

Reactions: dalem177

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
I wouldn't say he's "gone wrong with the rebuild" just yet.

But he has made some bad moves, and between the Walman trade and missing out on most FAs, his offseason so far has been quite poor. Holl was a bad signing. Copp was a bad signing. Petry was a bad trade. Fabbri's renewed contract is/was bad. The Husso experiment has been a failure.

Hope is not lost and there is still lots of time for things to go right. But in the last 1-2 years, it's fair to begin to question Yzerman's vision and plan, or at least the execution of said plan.

As far as good moves:
He has drafted very well in the first round every year. Seider was a great pick. Raymond was a great pick. Ed looks like a great pick. Kasper looks like a good pick. Danielson looks like a good pick. Cossa looks like a good/great pick.

A big part of Holland's failure near the end of his tenure in Detroit was messing up the 2016/2017/2018 1st round picks in Cholowski/Ras/Zadina, and Yzerman has been significantly better in that respect. It's easy to hit on top 10 picks, but it's not easy to hit on top 10 picks 5 years in a row. As long as Danielson and Kasper do well, Yzerman has done that. That deserves commendation.

Beyond that, DeBrincat was a good trade, as far as capitalizing on something that fell into our laps.

I don't really think he's made many commendable moves beyond that. Squeezed out some decent value for Mantha, I guess. Compher was an average signing. Kane, I'm still not the biggest fan of, but it's acceptable. That's really all.
All draft picks look good before they actually make the NHL. It's way too early to say Kasper, Danielson and even Edvinsson are hits

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I think my one substantive criticism of him is that I think he went a bit backwards the last 2 years. The long term play, I think, would have been less FA signings and more getting the young guys ready so that A- a bit better draft position last 2 years and B- the young guys would be more experienced this year and there would have been more space to be active in FA this year.

But at the end of the day, I don't think it materially changed the rebuild.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Sure, I hear you. And not to sound like a jerk, because I genuinely do get where you’re coming from, but at any point along that dynamic and nebulous journey do you think it’s fair to recalibrate our expectations to be part of the 50% of NHL teams that make the playoffs?

I think there should be a degree of fluidity to expectations for any executive, but the buck has to stop somewhere in my view. I don’t think any executive should have carte blanche, and imo never defining a timeline for success is essentially carte blanche. But again smart people disagree here I get where people are coming from.

The buck does stop with Yzerman and I don't want to suggest he should be unaccountable for the results. In my mind its a tough balance to strike - apologies for the wall of text coming your way.

You initially framed this "if you were Illitch" and in that context my response may disappoint you. I prefer to evaluate the process and the balance of good decisions vs bad decisions rather than timelines.

In that regard, there are a few main categories to consider:

Drafting: Many of his drafts are too early to evaluate but I don't think we would take anyone drafted after Seider, Raymond at this point. Its probably a little early to say on Edvinsson/Cossa. Maybe Johnston? Cossa/Wallstadt seems like a coin flip at this point. Either way nothing to fault yet. He hasn't produced anything after the 1st round but 1) you shouldn't expect much, 2) it's probably too early to definitively evaluate those picks with a few still trending well. Many would rather see him swing for a different archetype but anything after Ed is too early to evaluate.

UFA Signings:
-
I know the Holl, Chairot and Copp deals aren't popular but overall I think Yzerman has been solid. They are middling players but they only represent 15% of the cap. Keep in mind this team has barely operated above the salary cap floor - if it wasn't these guys - Yzerman would have signed someone else of similar value. Im not sure the other options were truly better. Definitely not perfect but he also hasn't hamstrung the team.
- My biggest critique here isn't so much who he signed and for how much but how many guys he signed. He jammed up the back end so much so that he had to move a 2nd to help alleviate the log jam. This is his biggest mistake in my eye.
-I liked the Kane pickup, same with Compher. Id even argue Copp has been better than he gets credit for (still overpaid). This summer he avoided any big deals that would hamstring the team moving forward.

Trades:
- We can complain about the Walman trade but reality seems to show he had no value across the league. Can we expect him to get value for pieces no-one else values? (I fault him for having so many dman that this move was necessary more so than the value of the trade itself).
- Debrincat was a solid trade.
- I liked to original Walman trade even if it didnt work out well in the long run (nothing lost ultimately).
- The mantha trade was good.
- I think everything else was fairly minor.

Internal Signings: Thus far he has done well. I liked the Larkin Contract. The Rasmussen extension seems solid. Ultimately this summer will be his biggest measuring stick in this category.

Off Ice Considerations One of his 1st pieces of business was to improve the conditioning and rehab of this team. This seems to be going well. Despite being in a rebuild he has kept fans in the arena. This is obviously important from a financial angle. Overall Im not sure there is much to consider.

Player Development: It's a little early to truly evaluate but the returns seem good so far. His effort to have guys like Kronwall working with euros and cleary working with the NAs seems to be working. I think things are on track here.

Of course, these are just my opinions and general thoughts. Others are free to disagree but on balance I think Yzerman has done more good than bad across these categories.

Rebuild went off tracks when he signed a bunch of players to get out of the Bedard race but wouldn't go after any name significant enough to play on the 1st line or build around.
In terms of strategy and process I think there is validity in this critique from @Suggs. But I also think there is merit in insulating the youth and building things back up before a losing mentality sinks in on our young players.

Where does that leave us? Well still outside of the playoffs but overall he's is making more good moves than bad moves and hasn't made any earth shattering mistakes. Truthfully with each passing season he increasingly owns the results. In my mind, he has still has a lengthy leash until the abdelkader buyout is off the books - he quite literally still has some of Holland's mess on his hands (neverminded the barren roster/prospect cupboard he inherited)

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think my one substantive criticism of him is that I think he went a bit backwards the last 2 years. The long term play, I think, would have been less FA signings and more getting the young guys ready so that A- a bit better draft position last 2 years and B- the young guys would be more experienced this year and there would have been more space to be active in FA this year.

You are always going to need to sign free agents during a rebuild. It is simple math. If you have really great drafting perhaps you have five picks in six years hit your NHL roster. Assume you have three others in the system when you start the rebuild that also hit your roster during that time. I personally think those numbers are pretty liberal. In year six of your rebuild, where exactly are you getting your other 16 players at that point? Those that were on the roster when the rebuild started are likely gone unless they had very long contracts (which are the ones you typically try to shed in a rebuild).

I don't think we can blame all of our problems on our free agent signing. Hell, most people think the free agents we signed all suck. If they suck as much as advertised, clearly they can't have that great of an impact on our performance.

I agree though that we should have tried to get more rookies on the roster last year, if only for short stints.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

This is a legit criticism. I look back to the 2022-23 season when we got caved in by Ottawa when the playoffs were still a remote possibility. Yzerman took quick action due to how the team got exposed. Last summer Steve went a bit cray cray with free agent signings. The worst by far was Holl, but Reimer was pretty clearly washed.

I am sympathetic to his plight, he wants to build a solid team that can contend for the playoffs while still having cap space and roster spots for the guys he's drafted. If we were further along in the rebuild and we knew that all we needed was a 2C, he could spend like $8 mil on one player rather than $14 mil on 4 mid players to paper over the holes that exist because the guys he drafted aren't ready yet for NHL action.

He also held on to guys who proved to be decent but not long-term members of the rebuild. The Fabbri and Walman trades were A+ moves; holding onto them were D moves. I am not as critical regarding those extensions because no one can predict the future. But enough of those moves and the cap can become an issue. Fortunately we are not in a serious cap crunch and Walman's cap hit is gone. We lose nearly $14 mil in cap dollars next summer when Fabbri, Määttä, Petry and Husso come off the books.

In short, he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
  1. He should have tanked so we would have a chance at Bedard!
  2. He should have us in the playoffs by now!
  3. He should play the prospects!
  4. He should overpay for UFAs!
Many of these wishes are diametrically opposed options. The one indisputable fact is he's made the most of his draft capital. He's leaned heavily on Hakan Andersson and as a result we've got a really good prospect pool. We are stuck in hurry up and wait mode while those prospects turn into NHL caliber players.

The rebuild hasnt gone wrong. Said it before, will say it again: When Stevie took over he was left with basically nothing in the pipeline. When a team sucks for as long as we did at that time they usually have at least 1 or 2 good kids. Us? Cholowski, Moose and Zadina BUSTED. With their draft position in mind we should have come away with 1 top4 dman and 2 top6 forwards for Stevie to inherit...ZOINK

Then Stevie got Vrana on board and shipped Mantha out. Which was a great deal at the time. What Vranas issue was, we will never know. The bottom line is that he vaporized. So that is basically an entire scoring line that we should have by now. But we dont, cuz of bad luck and Kenny's incompetence. And Stevie cannot create assets like a necromancer. We are on the right track, but delayed cuz of the above mentioned factors.

Rolo Tomassi

May 6, 2010
Overall, I like what Yzerman is attempting to do. It looks like he is trying to build a sound defensive team that is difficult to play against, particularly in the playoffs. Without getting lottery "luck" (cough Pittsburgh/Chicago/Edmonton cough), it is difficult to secure the highest end players to build any other type of team and be successful. The Wings got extemely lucky with Datsyuk and Z and it gave us this false sense that it is not that difficult to pull 1st line talent out of later rounds. Statistics say that is not the case.

I do think he takes these "two-way" types in the first round for multiple reasons. The first is that they fit the mold of how he wants the team to play. The second is that if they "bust" (or don't hit their ceiling), they have skill sets that will make them useful players in the bottom 6. This way he is ensuring he doesn't have full blown busts for draft picks. That is a bad look for a GM (see Zadina). I hope they really do hit their absolute ceiling, because I want to see this team succeed. The lack of production from Kasper and Danielson is a little concerning, to me. We shall see how they progress next season.

-General consensus is that he got lucky in that Debrincat basically forced a trade here. Thus, Kane also came here to play with him. I have mixed feelings about this development. Yes, they both provide significant offensive production. However, they don't bring much else to the table. Both play middling defense, at best. Neither can forecheck for sh**, even if they tried their absolute hardest. To me, these are the exact types of players Yzerman does not want to build his team around. I think Yzerman was stuck between a rock and a hard place here. He doesn't really want these types of players (as opposed to big, physical wingers who play both ways and perhaps contribute a little bit less offensively). But if he doesn't take them, people would be screaming bloody murder.

-IMO, the biggest mistakes Yzerman has made have been with the UFA signings. The contracts of Holl and Copp alone are roughly the price of a guy like Guentzel. Did the team not watch tape on these guys before signing them to deals that are way above their pay grade? Holl is a middling AHL defenesman. Copp is a 4th line center; watch how many times the team is tic tac toe passing around the ice and the puck gets to Copp and he can't receive it properly and it results in a turnover. The fact that he is paid 5.6M per season is inexcusable. I actually don't mind Chiarot, as long as he's not trying to be Cale Makar. He is physical, a decent skater, and has some puck skill. Just needs to play within his limitations.

-The Walman jettison is a mystery to me. I just don't believe that if he was shopped around the league, we couldn't have gotten a late round pick for him. Or, worst case, if he was waived, someone wouldnt have claimed him. Not too many defenders skate like him and/or get double digit goals. SOMEONE would have taken him without us burning a 2nd rounder. That second rounder could have potentially been used to move up and grab a guy like Helenius, allowing us to have another possible 2nd line center type in a couple of years. We have been weak down the middle of the ice for WAY too long. I really hope there is another shoe yet to drop on this whole situation. It almost seems to me that he was sending message to the team by stapling a pick to Walman when he shot him off with the trebuchet.

-Not giving the guys like Ed and Johansson a chance to play. If Walman was so bad, we know Holl is trash, Maata is meh. Ed and or Johansson should have been given more opportunity. Same with Berggren. We had a bunch of similar type wingers (Fabbri, Sprong) blocking him out. I somewhat understand the "prove it" mentality, but I also think they risk alienating the player and making them want to leave the organization when they get their chance to.

Reactions: wings95 and lilidk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad