Where are Swiss talents?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
This team is decent and about average in terms of talent as far as Swiss u18 teams go. Not as good as the mid to late 90's born teams but better than those of the last couple of years. With a bit more luck and discipline as some posters have said wins against Sweden and Belarus would have been possible. Special teams were horrid though and I agree with Hinterland that coaching in this area needs to get better in every age group of our national teams. Other teams with comparable skill levels can pull this off much better than we did this year.

Last edited:

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Their big D man playing as an underager for Switzerland number 9 looked really impressive last night.

Lian Bischel, I’d have a first round grade on him for the 2022 draft. He’s massive, physical with a mean streak, can skate well for a big man, and has a bit of offensive upside as well.

He’s a guy to follow going forward.

Lian Bichsel at eliteprospects.com

100%
Kid is impressive prospect.
Love to see him in the CHL next season

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
It is very funny read like some of swiss funs blame the coaches. But reality is little diffrent. The truth is that in recent years the Swiss have been producing average players. The cause is much deeper, not only in coaches ... (Someone wrote it very well). Hinterland and the like just cover their eyes. Slovaks also lived for a long time in similar lies.

Some are disconcerted that Knak and Moser were not drafted. For example Slovak also have this problem every year. Every year few very skillful players remain unnoticed in draft. What we have sown, we are reaping now.

Reactions: hellwar9

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It is very funny read like some of swiss funs blame the coaches. But reality is little diffrent. The truth is that in recent years the Swiss have been producing average players. The cause is much deeper, not only in coaches ... (Someone wrote it very well). Hinterland and the like just cover their eyes. Slovaks also lived for a long time in similar lies.

Some are disconcerted that Knak and Moser were not drafted. For example Slovak also have this problem every year. Every year few very skillful players remain unnoticed in draft. What we have sown, we are reaping now.

Moser isn't NHL material but Knak should have been drafted. Just a terrible miss by NHL teams.

Main problem in Switzerland is coaching. There aren't many good ones, especially with the national teams. But even at club level, most pro teams are employing foreigners. I believe coaching is also an issue at junior level so that's the main problem. Then of course there's also more distraction in Switzerland than maybe in other countries where talented hockey players have the ability to focus on hockey only.

In any way, the current under 18 team is a good one, it's just poorly coached. Looking at discipline and special teams, that's pretty easy to see. Marcel Jenni is a grade a moron anyway. Just like Fischer, Wohlwend, Bayer and all the other clowns who have coached or are still coaching national teams. They're laughing matters but not coaches.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DatDude44

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
Moser isn't NHL material but Knak should have been drafted. Just a terrible miss by NHL teams.

Main problem in Switzerland is coaching. There aren't many good ones, especially with the national teams. But even at club level, most pro teams are employing foreigners. I believe coaching is also an issue at junior level so that's the main problem. Then of course there's also more distraction in Switzerland than maybe in other countries where talented hockey players have the ability to focus on hockey only.

In any way, the current under 18 team is a good one, it's just poorly coached. Looking at discipline and special teams, that's pretty easy to see. Marcel Jenni is a grade a moron anyway. Just like Fischer, Wohlwend, Bayer and all the other clowns who have coached or are still coaching national teams. They're laughing matters but not coaches.

Slovak plyers born in 04 and 05 are much better like swiss. Belarusian beat swiss on the internation fore very often recent years. Also germans have more better players born in 02. This is not an issue this year, but more years ago.

Players born in 98 are very weak. In 99 are some great plyers on the head Hischier and Kurashev. And next good players (Eggenberger, Simic, Sigrist, Le Coultre, Geisser, Leuenberger) but they are no difference player.
Another group of plaeyers 00's born ... more deep like in 99's , but not top player as Kurashev.
The next very weak year of birth is 01, maybe only Nussbaumer is worth mentioning.
02's and 03's ... Knak, Delemont, Meier, Chanton, Fust, Biasca, Canonica, Zanetti, Reichle are better like players born in 98 or 01, but I do not see top prospec of at similar quality as Meier, Fiala, Andrighetto, Rod or Muller.

Swiss produce still very good skaters, but no longer top quality as (Malgin, Fiala, Niederreiter, Meier, Hischier ...) and this is nationwide problem.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Slovak plyers born in 04 and 05 are much better like swiss. Belarusian beat swiss on the internation fore very often recent years. Also germans have more better players born in 02. This is not an issue this year, but more years ago.

Players born in 98 are very weak. In 99 are some great plyers on the head Hischier and Kurashev. And next good players (Eggenberger, Simic, Sigrist, Le Coultre, Geisser, Leuenberger) but they are no difference player.
Another group of plaeyers 00's born ... more deep like in 99's , but not top player as Kurashev.
The next very weak year of birth is 01, maybe only Nussbaumer is worth mentioning.
02's and 03's ... Knak, Delemont, Meier, Chanton, Fust, Biasca, Canonica, Zanetti, Reichle are better like players born in 98 or 01, but I do not see top prospec of at similar quality as Meier, Fiala, Andrighetto, Rod or Muller.

Swiss produce still very good skaters, but no longer top quality as (Malgin, Fiala, Niederreiter, Meier, Hischier ...) and this is nationwide problem.

I don't know what you're talking about...I'm not even sure you do...you're not making any sense. Whatsoever.

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
I don't know what you're talking about...I'm not even sure you do...you're not making any sense. Whatsoever.

You usually wrote that swiss players are very good with lots of talents. You put all the blame on the coaches. You wrote something similar in other discussions (for example WJC this year).
I only write you the Swiss do not have such players as they had years ago. And this is not problem national team coaches. Thats all. If you don't understand, it's your problem. You keep going all the same in every discussion about young swiss players.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I would argue that its true that Switzerland doesnt produce high end prospects anymore like we did a few years ago. How much of this is to blame one structural problems and how much on just bad age groups the future will tell. There are certainly a bunch of things going suboptimal in swiss junior hockey wich has been discussed here many times.

However I have to say that at least this year junior national team coaching has not been good. At the U20's this didnt have to much of an impact as this might have won us one game at best. But I really do beleive that with better coaching (and some luck) wins against Belarus and Sweden would have been possible at he U18's. Special teams and discipline have been truly horrid and Jenni clearly failed react to correct the mistakes the team made since game one.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You usually wrote that swiss players are very good with lots of talents. You put all the blame on the coaches. You wrote something similar in other discussions (for example WJC this year).
I only write you the Swiss do not have such players as they had years ago. And this is not problem national team coaches. Thats all. If you don't understand, it's your problem. You keep going all the same in every discussion about young swiss players.

How many Swiss coaches of international quality do you know? Coaches capable of getting the best out of a National squad or an NL, KHL, SHL team? Do you need more than one hand to count them? No? You're talking out of your ass, mate.

Last edited:

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
I would argue that its true that Switzerland doesnt produce high end prospects anymore like we did a few years ago. How much of this is to blame one structural problems and how much on just bad age groups the future will tell. There are certainly a bunch of things going suboptimal in swiss junior hockey wich has been discussed here many times.

However I have to say that at least this year junior national team coaching has not been good. At the U20's this didnt have to much of an impact as this might have won us one game at best. But I really do beleive that with better coaching (and some luck) wins against Belarus and Sweden would have been possible at he U18's. Special teams and discipline have been truly horrid and Jenni clearly failed react to correct the mistakes the team made since game one.

Speyer, I agree with this argument. I just wrote that looking for a mistake in the coaches and finding new stars in players like Knak, Moser etc is ridiculous. Without doubt They are very good players, but not similar quality as Kurashev, Malgin, Muller ...

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
How many Swiss coaches of international quality do you know? Coaches capable of getting the best out of a National squad or an NL, KHL, SHL team? Do you need more than one hand to count them? No? You're talking out of your ass, mate.
LoL ... You are right ;-)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Speyer, I agree with this argument. I just wrote that looking for a mistake in the coaches and finding new stars in players like Knak, Moser etc is ridiculous. Without doubt They are very good players, but not similar quality as Kurashev, Malgin, Muller ...

Can you read? I told you already that Moser isn't NHL material. Not a good player, at least not at international level. You're talking out of your ass again. Why Knak didn't get drafted...nobody knows. Piss poor coaching at the under 20's surely didn't help his cause though.

But if you still think that Malgin or Müller are any good then I'm not surprised to read about your other hot takes.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald

We had a lot of stagnating prospects lately to. Nussbaumer really looked great as a 16 year old in the NLA and the WJC. He has bounced back a little bit lately but couldnt fulfilll the expectations. Then you have Delemont whose developement has been incredibly dissappointing and Rochette who didnt improve that much in the last two years and even changed national teams. 03 doesnt have a standout prospect but pretty good depth. 04 is pretty much up in the air. I have to say I am impressed by Bichsel though. Has NHL player written all over him if he can improve his shot. I also like Jonas Taibel; good skating high energy player with great vision. Noah Greuter may also surprise a few people if he can salvage his horrid skating. So for the immediate future Slovakia has probably the edge on us, but things can change pretty quickly again in the next few years...

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Can you read? I told you already that Moser isn't NHL material. Not a good player, at least not at international level. You're talking out of your ass again. Why Knak didn't get drafted...nobody knows. Piss poor coaching at the under 20's surely didn't help his cause though.

But if you still think that Malgin or Müller are any good then I'm not surprised to read about your other hot takes.

I think Moser gets overrated a bit but I do think he has at least National Team upside though. I wouldnt rule him out to make the NHL in a more limited role either. As far as Müller and Malgin go, they have disappointed a bit on the pro level but were excellent junior level players, wich he is probably refering to. Especially Malgin wasnt far of Meier and Fiala at the same age.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yes, Swiss dont have as good upcoming talents as Canada, USA, Russia and Finland. But i dont see how Swiss is behind Sweden, Czech, Germany, Slovakia in talents right now.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think Moser gets overrated a bit but I do think he has at least National Team upside though. I wouldnt rule him out to make the NHL in a more limited role either. As far as Müller and Malgin go, they have disappointed a bit on the pro level but were excellent junior level player wich he is probably refering to. Especially Malgin wasnt far of Meier and Fiala at the same age.

I think he's just talking out of his ass. Clearly doesn't know anything about Swiss icehockey.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Yes, Swiss dont have as good upcoming talents as Canada, USA, Russia and Finland. But i dont see how Swiss is behind Sweden, Czech, Germany, Slovakia in talents right now.

We are definitely behind Sweden. I dont think the Czechs, Germans and Slovaks have a significant Edge on us though, as long as you dont overstate unusually good birthyears as the Germans 02 class or the Slovaks 04's.

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
We are definitely behind Sweden. I dont think the Czechs, Germans and Slovaks have a significant Edge on us though, as long as you dont overstate unusually good birthyears as the Germans 02 class or the Slovaks 04's.
I agree with you in this discussion, but not with your overmotivated compatriot.

For Hinterland ... I know more than you think. And please without insult

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree with you in this discussion, but not with your overmotivated compatriot.

For Hinterland ... I know more than you think. And please without insult

You think you know...that's not the same as actually knowing:laugh:
Are you even Swiss? Any ties to Switzerland?

You sound more like a salty Slovak trying to troll others here because his home tournament with all the garbage teams got cancelled:laugh:
You're certainly entertaining though. I'll give you that :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
You think you know...that's not the same as actually knowing:laugh:
Are you even Swiss? Any ties to Switzerland?

You sound more like a salty Slovak trying to troll others here because his home tournament with all the garbage teams got cancelled:laugh:
You're certainly entertaining though. I'll give you that :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I have to by Swiss to know something aobut Swiss hockey ... very bloody idea.
Slovkia was eliminated with the Swiis in the last WC U18, but Slovaks were better. But you will say something else because you are just an ordinary troll.
You were shamefully defeated by the belarus on this WC U18. The latvians had more shots like swiss. I only wrote that swiss are weaker like few years ago (5-6 years ago) and its not problem only national coaches.

I remember you from other discussions. And every discussion you was trolling about great swiss players and awful coaches regardless of the opponent and the result.

Your comments testify to your "intellect". So I end up in a discussion with you.
Have a nice day

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I have to by Swiss to know something aobut Swiss hockey ... very bloody idea.
Slovkia was eliminated with the Swiis in the last WC U18, but Slovaks were better. But you will say something else because you are just an ordinary troll.
You were shamefully defeated by the belarus on this WC U18. The latvians had more shots like swiss. I only wrote that swiss are weaker like few years ago (5-6 years ago) and its not problem only national coaches.

I remember you from other discussions. And every discussion you was trolling about great swiss players and awful coaches regardless of the opponent and the result.

Your comments testify to your "intellect". So I end up in a discussion with you.
Have a nice day

Oh, so my guess was right and I hit bullseye?:laugh:
Nice day for you, too. You certainly made mine:laugh::popcorn:

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I am reactivating this thread to talk about some of my thoughts on 06‘s players from switzerland.
Jamiro Reber- i had high expectations of him since i heard he was a big talent for the upcoming years. I was a bit underwhelmed by his performance but he didn’t look bad to me just expected more. He looks like a pass first player with good hockey iq. He always often made fast plays with good passes but his teammates often couldn’t do much after that… I see potential in him maybe he has to get a bit more selfish and try more of his own. He also seemed small on the live stream but i don’t think he really is small almost all the players seemed pretty small to me maybe it was just the angle of the stream. I also remeber him intercepting a pass preventing a 1:0 Situation for the czechs.

David Bosson- His playstyle was exactly how i expected it to be. He‘s a sniper with a good shot, his one time goal impressed me. He also posses a good body and throws it some times. I hope he gets some trainings with GCK‘s first team this year so he can play at the swiss league level next year if he doesn’t go to the CHL. What he has to improve is his shot selection or shot in more unpredictable moments since he got many shots of his blocked. But he seams like a good weapon on the powerplay reminds me of ovechkin or Laine but not with same potential.

Daniil Ustinkov- I didn’t really have him on the radar but he looked almost like the best to me. He can carry the puck and has really good puck control and skating. Also seems like a good powerplay quarterback. His defensive play didn’t really stand out to me neither a good or bad way. When he played with Gian Meier he had to save after a mistake of his D partner. He also seems like he has more confidence than other players because he likes to try risky plays and they mostly work.

William Mcnutt- he made some big saves in the first and last game to keep us in the game. I don’t have a clue how to evaluate Goalies so if somebody who is a goalie expert has something to say about him feel free to post. But he seems like the best prospect and i could see him drafted since he really stood out for me.

General notes:
I liked how the team played the body. They really made some good hits and it seems like they play the body a lot more as the u18s a player who die this well was robin antenen he always tried to make a hit.

But the biggest problem of this team is goal scoring i can’t believe how many chances they blew in the first game they could have easily scored like 5 goals also a lot of almost empty nets missed for example in OT of the 3 game.
They played well and sometimes even better as the czechs and didn’t reward themselves because of s stupid pass or miss.

Other players i liked: tim Muggli, yannik Ponzetto, Charlie Thul
Players i didn’t like:Ben Toller, Nils Saladin, Gian Meier, Nils Wehrli
Meh Players: Lenny Giger, Ludvig Johnson

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I am reactivating this thread to talk about some of my thoughts on 06‘s players from switzerland.
Jamiro Reber- i had high expectations of him since i heard he was a big talent for the upcoming years. I was a bit underwhelmed by his performance but he didn’t look bad to me just expected more. He looks like a pass first player with good hockey iq. He always often made fast plays with good passes but his teammates often couldn’t do much after that… I see potential in him maybe he has to get a bit more selfish and try more of his own. He also seemed small on the live stream but i don’t think he really is small almost all the players seemed pretty small to me maybe it was just the angle of the stream. I also remeber him intercepting a pass preventing a 1:0 Situation for the czechs.

David Bosson- His playstyle was exactly how i expected it to be. He‘s a sniper with a good shot, his one time goal impressed me. He also posses a good body and throws it some times. I hope he gets some trainings with GCK‘s first team this year so he can play at the swiss league level next year if he doesn’t go to the CHL. What he has to improve is his shot selection or shot in more unpredictable moments since he got many shots of his blocked. But he seams like a good weapon on the powerplay reminds me of ovechkin or Laine but not with same potential.

Daniil Ustinkov- I didn’t really have him on the radar but he looked almost like the best to me. He can carry the puck and has really good puck control and skating. Also seems like a good powerplay quarterback. His defensive play didn’t really stand out to me neither a good or bad way. When he played with Gian Meier he had to save after a mistake of his D partner. He also seems like he has more confidence than other players because he likes to try risky plays and they mostly work.

William Mcnutt- he made some big saves in the first and last game to keep us in the game. I don’t have a clue how to evaluate Goalies so if somebody who is a goalie expert has something to say about him feel free to post. But he seems like the best prospect and i could see him drafted since he really stood out for me.

General notes:
I liked how the team played the body. They really made some good hits and it seems like they play the body a lot more as the u18s a player who die this well was robin antenen he always tried to make a hit.

But the biggest problem of this team is goal scoring i can’t believe how many chances they blew in the first game they could have easily scored like 5 goals also a lot of almost empty nets missed for example in OT of the 3 game.
They played well and sometimes even better as the czechs and didn’t reward themselves because of s stupid pass or miss.

Other players i liked: tim Muggli, yannik Ponzetto, Charlie Thul
Players i didn’t like:Ben Toller, Nils Saladin, Gian Meier, Nils Wehrli
Meh Players: Lenny Giger, Ludvig Johnson

I agree with most of this. I think Reber could have profited from other linmates. I didnt see much chemistry with Ponzetto and I think he meshed a lot better with Bosson and Wehrli last year. I often thought his linemates were not able to read his ideas accordingly. However I really liked his defensive game and his commitment on the fore and backcheck. I thought this was a strength of the whole team in general and I really liked the compete level they displayed. Ustinkov was definitely the most noticable player during the exhibiton games. He is a very good skater with excellent edges and can beat opponents one on one with his stickhandling. He had even a few coast to coast rushes that led to chances for Switzerland. He also seems to have very good puck protection. But I felt that he has a rather weak shot wich he needs to improve a lot if he ever wants to be an effective powerplay QB. He kind of reminds me of Noah Delemont in that regard who just started to run into a wall offensively as the opposing goalies got better in the higher age groups. As for the goalies, I liked McNutt the most as well but the sample size is just so small it is not saying much.

Last edited:

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I agree with most of this. I think Reber could have profited from other linmates. I didnt see much chemistry with Ponzetto and I think he meshed a lot better with Bosson and Wehrli last year. I often thought his linemates were not able to read his ideas accordingly. However I really liked his defensive game and his commitment on the fore and backcheck. I thought this was a strength of the whole team in general and I really liked the compete level they displayed. Ustinkov was definitely the most noticable player during the exhibiton games. He is a very good skater with excellent edges and can beat opponents one on one with his stickhandling. He had even a few coast to coast rushes that led to chances for Switzerland. He also seems to have very good puck protection. But I felt that he has a rather weak shot wich he needs to improve a lot if he ever wants to be an effective powerplay QB. He kind of reminds me of Noah Delemont in that regard who just started to run into a wall offensively as the opposing goalies got better in the higher age groups. As for the goalies, I liked McNutt the most as well but the sample size is just so small it is not saying much.
Agree sample size is to small i am by no means a scout and the only time when i see these players is when i watch switzerland‘s live streams. Just wanted to post my thoughts. Regarding Ustinkov: i agree his shot needs to improve, but i am a bit more confident that he isn’t delemont 2.0 because he can do this on the international level against a good team in the czechs so maybe it translated better to the international level than for delemont. I also want to say i feel like jamiro reber could get some games next year for langnau if he doesn’t stagnate like 90% of our prospects because they are willing to give young players at least small chances and it would be good pr for them to overshadow their bad performances. All in All i am excited and curios how they play against good competition in colorado springs if they play well maybe next year we can prevent double digits against canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad