When the Shanaplan comes to an end…

Which statement would best describe the shanaplan when it’s all said and done?

• The Shanaplan was an amazing plan with gifted players who competed hard

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • The Shanaplan is a unique plan, with uncertainty and interesting moves and decisions

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • The Shanaplan is pretty bad. A lost opportunity with the most gifted team and pissed it away

Votes: 79 70.5%
  • the Shanaplan was the worse type of plan. I wouldn’t wish the Shanaplan on my own worse enemy.

Votes: 16 14.3%

• Total voters

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
This...is possible actually lol
We will never know.
Maybe Lou signs him, maybe not. Maybe he signs him but doesn’t pay the other guys what they are making now or the length of the contract. Again we will never know. Shanahan made the change at the most crucial time of the franchise. And now with NMC and UFA, it’s been made again.

Reactions: QJo

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
The 'Shanaplan' was the concept of tearing down a franchise that was clinging to hope for decades and unwilling to admit that they needed a reset. Having the strength to accept a couple bad years to set up several good years.

This part was communicated and executed well with vision.

What the Shanaplan was not and hasn't been is how to build a winner after solidifying a foundation. On top of a rock solid foundation inexperienced builders were asked to complete the project and they messed it up so bad.

This part was executed without a clear and well laid out vision.

Reactions: myleafs

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
They haven't had this much young talent since the late 80s when they had a bunch of talent in their early 20s: Clark, Courtnall, Damphousse, Fergus, Gill, Iafrate, Leeman, Marois & Olczyk. That team screwed it up as bad as Dubas did this team, probably even worse.
And Shanahan wanted to bring him back. Hmmm?

I'm confused, what is the Shanaplan exactly?

*Tank and get #1 C, #1W, #1B-W, #2 dman, sign free agent #2 C at a premium
*Surround them with soft, timid, trash players
*Never, ever address the defence and trot out old men on retirement deals or cheap reclamations
*Never, ever address the goaltending and trot out other team's trash and hope for the best
*Hire rookie coach even though you could have hired the best goddamn coach money could afford
*Call out the core asking them to consider taking less money WHILE RFAs, then giving them ALL THE f***ING MONEY WHILE THEY WERE RFAs and not even lock them up for 8 years lmao

View attachment 725203
You nailed it! Could not have said it any better than that!

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can't help but wonder how things would have turned out if Lou had received a one year extension and had negotiated that 1st wave of contracts.

Or what if Shanahan had called Kelly McCrimmon first instead of Kyle Dubas.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm confused, what is the Shanaplan exactly?

*Tank and get #1 C, #1W, #1B-W, #2 dman, sign free agent #2 C at a premium
*Surround them with soft, timid, trash players
*Never, ever address the defence and trot out old men on retirement deals or cheap reclamations
*Never, ever address the goaltending and trot out other team's trash and hope for the best
*Hire rookie coach even though you could have hired the best goddamn coach money could afford
*Call out the core asking them to consider taking less money WHILE RFAs, then giving them ALL THE f***ING MONEY WHILE THEY WERE RFAs and not even lock them up for 8 years lmao

View attachment 725203

This is fire. Exactly the way I see things as well.

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Doesn't matter what anyone says .KING KYLE OF PITTSBURGH. did this .
I still believe Tannenbaum will have treliving doing shannys job in about 8 months
Getting a raise in the salary cap is fine
But if it's just used to augment this core 4
It's asinine

I agree treliving hire was quick but that being said he still has a chance to put his stamp on this c
And you think Shanny and the board will allow that to happen? Not a chance!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Doesn't matter what anyone says .KING KYLE OF PITTSBURGH. did this .
I still believe Tannenbaum will have treliving doing shannys job in about 8 months
Getting a raise in the salary cap is fine
But if it's just used to augment this core 4
It's asinine

I agree treliving hire was quick but that being said he still has a chance to put his stamp on this c
LarryT leading the board for the past 20 years or so has now lead me to believe he is inhabited by the spirit of Harold Ballard.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I don't like these options because there was a gap between what Shanahan's vision was and how Dubas executed it.

What President wants their vision to be a top heavy team in which they have to continually lose assets at the deadline or in free agency every year?
It must be Shanny because he wanted to bring Dubas back.
The nhl is like the Profesional sports version of the wwe.

Bettman wants southern states teams to win the cups. Who does shannahan take advice from bettman and the nhl head office

Bettman calls the leafs the cleavland Indians of hockey. Hexdisoreslects our franchise calls our fans derogtovr named Even though we won 13 cups and had many x leafs fight in world War 2 saving the world from tyranny.

Do u think they care about leafs Nation which is the largest hockey market in the world? Not one bit .

Even in the worst seasons leafs nations make the most money in the nhl. Sometimes second to the rangers

Adding Tavares was a free agent signing that we got b4 our team need a established vet to put us over the top. That stopped the rebuild

When Nylander held out we should had left him sit till he signed at our number.

The money first culture began here with Nylander. No one talks of winning in that room they talk about their big contracts.

Dubbie the had to add Marleau cause John t doesn't talk In the dressing room.

Then dubas stared giving away all our top draft choices.

Covid hit

We are up tight against the cap and have been since 2019. We lost our window. These players are focused on getting their next 80 to 100 mil contract.

Everyone but Shanahan and the MSLE board knows that they got to break up the core 4. Nylander, Mathews, Marners focus is on winning the next biggest contract and not winning for themselves and leafs Nation.

They should had got rid of mathews and nylander and kept Scheen and O'Rielly and quality players to change the dressing room culture and the course of the team towards winning the lord stanely cup back to the mecca of hockey where the fans deserve to bask in the glory of being part of Leafs Nation and the Stanley Cup champions

Treliving needs to find his O'Rielly and Scheen and move on from Mathews and Nylander. Its the only path towards our desired destiny to win the cup
Would be nice, but will not happen as long as Shanny and the board are in charge.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Shanny and Dubas were on the same page. Dubas realized how awful of a GM he actually is and took off from the mess he helped create. Shanahan is just plain stupid and will continue will this gong show
It just amazes me, that another ownership group wanted to give dubas a promotion and a pay raise from what he was getting from MLSE….some people,have all the luck I guess

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
There was a rumor that Shanahan blocked a Dubas trade for a defenseman. I wonder if that trade was for Chychrun. Maybe Shanahan forced him to acquire Oreilly instead. Perhaps, Dubas traded Sandin on Feb 28th, trying to recoup picks to make the Chychrun deal but Arizona decided to go with the better 1st of Senators.

Oreilly was great but he was purely a rental. Chychrun has two additional year's at 4.6 million, which would've been incredible for our team for the next two years. Especially with his shot from the point.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I’ve watched the last 60. Why wouldnt he want those bigger markets involved more often?
Canadian teams going far in the playoffs depress American ratings. The NHL wants to grow those ratings in hopes of getting an elusive huge U.S. media deal. MLB and the NBA privately prefer the Jays and Raptors to be out of the spotlight for similar reasons. All-American playoff matchups mean higher ratings.

Reactions: kb
Sep 18, 2009
Canadian teams going far in the playoffs depress American ratings. The NHL wants to grow those ratings in hopes of getting an elusive huge U.S. media deal. MLB and the NBA privately prefer the Jays and Raptors to be out of the spotlight for similar reasons. All-American playoff matchups mean higher ratings.
Peculiar that shanahan of all people built a soft team

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Having a Canadian team in a series eliminates one fan base, for certain.
There really are no ratings to speak of and there will never be a huge TV contract for hockey. Hopefully it’s a least available on the internet.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
depends. I mean there is a hard cap. if Matthews wants to be paid that will have to come at the expense of quality depth and/or his team mates (Nylander, Marner). Matthews cannot have the cake and eat it too.

There is no team in NHL with 3 double digit AAV on the roster to begin with, forget about having success.

In terms of Nylander, as far as I am concerned, if he isn't willing to sign a reasonable deal then it would be preferable that he returns assets in a trade. Technically Nylander can be traded anytime because he only has a 10 team ntc that kicked in july 1st.

Matthews on the other hand can easily pull a Tavares who knows. This is Dubas' doing as far as I am concerned, and we are stuck with it.

Treliving is playing the hand with the cards he was dealt by Dubas, July 1st has come and gone. Now Matthews and Marner both are in full control of the situation one way or another.
Trev should have dealt WN prior to July 1st....AND....theres no guarantee AM wont walk!

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The "shananplan" is no different than a full rebuild. Unfortunately they jumped the gun (like Burke) by signing Tavares. The next time around it needs to be a full rebuild without shortcuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad