When the Shanaplan comes to an end…

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which statement would best describe the shanaplan when it’s all said and done?

• The Shanaplan was an amazing plan with gifted players who competed hard

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • The Shanaplan is a unique plan, with uncertainty and interesting moves and decisions

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • The Shanaplan is pretty bad. A lost opportunity with the most gifted team and pissed it away

Votes: 79 70.5%
  • the Shanaplan was the worse type of plan. I wouldn’t wish the Shanaplan on my own worse enemy.

Votes: 16 14.3%

• Total voters

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It’ll be the biggest missed opportunity and failure in Leafs history. Properly tanked and drafted elite high end talent only to f*** it all up. Bad luck with COVID to be sure, but the Leafs could’ve adapted, or made smarter moves during the pandemic, like not trading the Jarvis pick to dump Marleau, trading for either Bennett or Hall in 2021 instead of f***ing Foligno, finding a better goaltender than Campbell to succeed Andersen, maybe not getting Tavares which started this whole mess.

They should have traded Marner by now but they didn't. 10.9 for what he brings is just way too much. And he will only be looking to increase that aav in future.

Dubas was an absolute hack and Shanahan is a bigger trashbag for hiring dubas in the first place. Shanahan also had an extension ready to give to dubas until dubas put on a performance and punched his own ticket outta here. just goes on to show how bad of a judgment shanahan actually has

I honestly don’t know if they make the playoffs next season.

IMO thats not a bad thing to be honest.

- Draft high and have quality ELC (we still have '24 first rounder; '25 dubas traded away that one)
- may be marner's ask dwindels down after team doesn't make the playoffs, perhaps Matthews and Nylander too if they still haven't signed the extension.

Going for the cup run until tavares is still on the cap is a bad idea. IMO Leafs should just ride out the 2 years, and use this time to retool. Leafs are just not good enough to win the cup with tavares taking 11 AAV off the cap IMO

Reactions: Captain Crunch

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They should have traded Marner by now but they didn't. 10.9 for what he brings is just way too much. And he will only be looking to increase that aav in future.

Dubas was an absolute hack and Shanahan is a bigger trashbag for hiring dubas in the first place. Shanahan also had an extension ready to give to dubas until dubas put on a performance and punched his own ticket outta here. just goes on to show how bad of a judgment shanahan actually has

IMO thats not a bad thing to be honest.

- Draft high and have quality ELC (we still have '24 first rounder; '25 dubas traded away that one)
- may be marner's ask dwindels down after team doesn't make the playoffs, perhaps Matthews and Nylander too if they still haven't signed the extension.

Going for the cup run until tavares is still on the cap is a bad idea. IMO Leafs should just ride out the 2 years, and use this time to retool. Leafs are just not good enough to win the cup with tavares taking 11 AAV off the cap IMO
Based on the Treliving PCs and player moves, if you were Matthews, would sign an extension?
Nylander is all but gone.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I'm confused, what is the Shanaplan exactly?

*Tank and get #1 C, #1W, #1B-W, #2 dman, sign free agent #2 C at a premium
*Surround them with soft, timid, trash players
*Never, ever address the defence and trot out old men on retirement deals or cheap reclamations
*Never, ever address the goaltending and trot out other team's trash and hope for the best
*Hire rookie coach even though you could have hired the best goddamn coach money could afford
*Call out the core asking them to consider taking less money WHILE RFAs, then giving them ALL THE f***ING MONEY WHILE THEY WERE RFAs and not even lock them up for 8 years lmao

View attachment 725203
I snorted at that gif

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Give 34 and 88 every penny they want. Fill out the rest of the roster with Marlies and bargain UFA tweeners. The only condition is that the term is max 3 years and they have to drive their own lines with league minimum linemates.

Can't have it both ways. Get paid or play on a team capable of winning something.

Oh you can't pile up massive numbers for your next ripoff deal? That's too bad.

Reactions: Captain Crunch

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Based on the Treliving PCs and player moves, if you were Matthews, would sign an extension?

Jumping in on this one. If I were US born and raised and am primarily driven by money, there is no way that I am going to play for this Toronto Maple Leafs Team unless I get absolute max money +++

The organization has already tarnished itself and the writings on the wall. The fact they didn't have deals in place on the two stars on the 1st + didn't make a trade prior to that date on one to send a message tells you everything you need to know.

Teams going to flop. Sadly, very sadly going to go down in history as one of, if not the biggest examples of incompetence/missed opportunities in NHL history.

Reactions: Al14

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

depends. I mean there is a hard cap. if Matthews wants to be paid that will have to come at the expense of quality depth and/or his team mates (Nylander, Marner). Matthews cannot have the cake and eat it too.

There is no team in NHL with 3 double digit AAV on the roster to begin with, forget about having success.

In terms of Nylander, as far as I am concerned, if he isn't willing to sign a reasonable deal then it would be preferable that he returns assets in a trade. Technically Nylander can be traded anytime because he only has a 10 team ntc that kicked in july 1st.

Matthews on the other hand can easily pull a Tavares who knows. This is Dubas' doing as far as I am concerned, and we are stuck with it.

Treliving is playing the hand with the cards he was dealt by Dubas, July 1st has come and gone. Now Matthews and Marner both are in full control of the situation one way or another.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
When all this is over the Shanaplan will go down as one of the costliest boondoggles in modern day hockey history.

They hired a rookie president.

And right off the bat he showed his rookie stripes. Not tanking for McDavid might possibly be the worst executive decision made in the NHL for decades. Shanahan got lucky and managed to tank when there were two generational talents available in back to back draft years.

But that was more accident than by design.

Shanahan sat around that first year. "Observing" those loser blow heads snort coke and lose. If Shanahan was smart he would have done everything in his power to make them lose even more.

To give himself the best shot possible at McDavid.

Instead he fired Carlyle only in the middle of a losing streak. With the team at risk of falling out of a playoff spot. Horrorchek was promoted to stop the bleeding but only made it worse.

And the guy that let all that happen just hired the next GM.

Treliving was a lazy hire, made by a lazy president. Because his so-called Shanaplan didn't prepare a proper contingency for when his previous GM blindsided him in a failed power struggle to usurp. Nine years, and a single playoffs series win later, the mere fact this same ass hat for president is still here is a joke.

At the end of the day, the whole Shanaplan has been a bigger bust than Ishtar.
What is the Shanaplan?

it seems to be centred around keeping a core group of skilled players together come hell or high water while over paying them on a second contract. Everyone and their dog knows that this isn’t a winning formula. It could only work in a cap world that was increasing at 5% per year. Yet they persist despite all evidence to the contrary.

Nobody can motivate these guys who already have endorsements deals and retirement contracts dangled in front of them.

Jumping in on this one. If I were US born and raised and am primarily driven by money, there is no way that I am going to play for this Toronto Maple Leafs Team unless I get absolute max money +++

The organization has already tarnished itself and the writings on the wall. The fact they didn't have deals in place on the two stars on the 1st + didn't make a trade prior to that date on one to send a message tells you everything you need to know.

Teams going to flop. Sadly, very sadly going to go down in history as one of, if not the biggest examples of incompetence/missed opportunities in NHL history.
They won’t flop this season but everyone knows there will be no parade. Playoffs yes but probably another first round exit unless they can sign Bertuzzi and Domi who would make a difference.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Give 34 and 88 every penny they want. Fill out the rest of the roster with Marlies and bargain UFA tweeners. The only condition is that the term is max 3 years and they have to drive their own lines with league minimum linemates.

Can't have it both ways. Get paid or play on a team capable of winning something.

Oh you can't pile up massive numbers for your next ripoff deal? That's too bad.
They’d jump at that.

Reactions: Marshy

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Doesn’t matter where you were born. If those two don’t sign, Marner will be next.

Absolutely. They don't give a f***.
Utopia for them.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Doesn’t matter where you were born. If those two don’t sign, Marner will be next.

Utopia for them.

I disagree. He will be the one to command top dollar take over the team and the image of the team. He is already the most endorsed player with the least reasons to leave. Perhaps McDavid will join him here but that's a stretch.

They must get a return for Nylander and Matthews somehow but at this point it's essentially impossible and so, we will have a depleted prospect pool and be making things happen from scraps.

Add: Marner is essentially a product of the Ontario NHL puppy mill. They know exactly how to network and capitalize on endorsements etc. It's toxic and all about money, not winning. Bet you any money ROR left because he caught the vibe.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I snorted at that gif
Those monks go pretty hard:

kung-fu-nuts.gif

• Wow

Leaf Lander

Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
The nhl is like the Profesional sports version of the wwe.

Bettman wants southern states teams to win the cups. Who does shannahan take advice from bettman and the nhl head office

Bettman calls the leafs the cleavland Indians of hockey. Hexdisoreslects our franchise calls our fans derogtovr named Even though we won 13 cups and had many x leafs fight in world War 2 saving the world from tyranny.

Do u think they care about leafs Nation which is the largest hockey market in the world? Not one bit .

Even in the worst seasons leafs nations make the most money in the nhl. Sometimes second to the rangers

Adding Tavares was a free agent signing that we got b4 our team need a established vet to put us over the top. That stopped the rebuild

When Nylander held out we should had left him sit till he signed at our number.

The money first culture began here with Nylander. No one talks of winning in that room they talk about their big contracts.

Dubbie the had to add Marleau cause John t doesn't talk In the dressing room.

Then dubas stared giving away all our top draft choices.

Covid hit

We are up tight against the cap and have been since 2019. We lost our window. These players are focused on getting their next 80 to 100 mil contract.

Everyone but Shanahan and the MSLE board knows that they got to break up the core 4. Nylander, Mathews, Marners focus is on winning the next biggest contract and not winning for themselves and leafs Nation.

They should had got rid of mathews and nylander and kept Scheen and O'Rielly and quality players to change the dressing room culture and the course of the team towards winning the lord stanely cup back to the mecca of hockey where the fans deserve to bask in the glory of being part of Leafs Nation and the Stanley Cup champions

Treliving needs to find his O'Rielly and Scheen and move on from Mathews and Nylander. Its the only path towards our desired destiny to win the cup

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I can't help but wonder how things would have turned out if Lou had received a one year extension and had negotiated that 1st wave of contracts.
And not signed Tavares…..

The nhl is like the Profesional sports version of the wwe.

Bettman wants southern states teams to win the cups. Who does shannahan take advice from bettman and the nhl head office

Bettman calls the leafs the cleavland Indians of hockey. Hexdisoreslects our franchise calls our fans derogtovr named Even though we won 13 cups and had many x leafs fight in world War 2 saving the world from tyranny.

Do u think they care about leafs Nation which is the largest hockey market in the world? Not one bit .

Even in the worst seasons leafs nations make the most money in the nhl. Sometimes second to the rangers

Adding Tavares was a free agent signing that we got b4 our team need a established vet to put us over the top. That stopped the rebuild

When Nylander held out we should had left him sit till he signed at our number.

The money first culture began here with Nylander. No one talks of winning in that room they talk about their big contracts.

Dubbie the had to add Marleau cause John t doesn't talk In the dressing room.

Then dubas stared giving away all our top draft choices.

Covid hit

We are up tight against the cap and have been since 2019. We lost our window. These players are focused on getting their next 80 to 100 mil contract.

Everyone but Shanahan and the MSLE board knows that they got to break up the core 4. Nylander, Mathews, Marners focus is on winning the next biggest contract and not winning for themselves and leafs Nation.

They should had got rid of mathews and nylander and kept Scheen and O'Rielly and quality players to change the dressing room culture and the course of the team towards winning the lord stanely cup back to the mecca of hockey where the fans deserve to bask in the glory of being part of Leafs Nation and the Stanley Cup champions

Treliving needs to find his O'Rielly and Scheen and move on from Mathews and Nylander. Its the only path towards our desired destiny to win the cup
Why wouldn’t want Bettman want his the big markets like NY, Bos, Chicago, Philly winning Cups?

Reactions: Larcos_Unal

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
And not signed Tavares…..
Lou would have signed Tavares 100%.

He's not a rebuild man. He holds his players accountable and preaches a culture of respect...but he's not a rebuild man.
Why wouldn’t want Bettman want his the big markets like NY, Bos, Chicago, Philly winning Cups?
There's a huge difference.

The NHL would be thrilled if it were Chicago vs NYR/Boston every year. But they don't want Canadian teams to succeed, it's evident by the refereeing. I hate the Oilers but they get screwed as much as we do, and I'm not even Canadian so it's not pro-Canada bias either.

Reactions: PromisedLand

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I don't even know what the plan was but the results show whatever it was it didn't work out so good. Just because you played in the NHL and had success there doesn't mean you're qualified to be President of an NHL team. These guys just don't have the experience in asset management especially. And it shows.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lou would have signed Tavares 100%.

He's not a rebuild man. He holds his players accountable and preaches a culture of respect...but he's not a rebuild man.

There's a huge difference.

The NHL would be thrilled if it were Chicago vs NYR/Boston every year. But they don't want Canadian teams to succeed, it's evident by the refereeing. I hate the Oilers but they get screwed as much as we do, and I'm not even Canadian so it's not pro-Canada bias either.
But maybe monotone wouldn’t have signed if Lou was still the GM?

• Wow

Sammy Kat

Jun 14, 2021
When he first came and the Shanaplan was clear,tank and rebuild the right way I was fully on board.
Build slowly and make the right moves,no rushing or panic and teach them right,slow cook if need be.

Bring in Lou to clear out the trash and start it right,learn respect and pride and the Crest on the front is what it is all about,not the name on the back.

Some of his strict stuff may have been too old school but looking sharp and acting right and keeping everything in house was a solid way to build and winning the lottery got us going beautifully.
Yoda was teaching the force perfectly and soon we would have had a strong group of Jedi.

Then he was swayed by the dark side,Darth Kyle convinced him that the ways of the Jedi were false and everything changed.
Rushing the rebuild,spending hand over fist,poor decisions and letting all the disipline fade and allowing a country club of spoiled brats who always got their way.

The Shanaplan was a tale of 2 parts and the dark side overwhelmed him and he may not be able to be saved.

EGL22

Mar 20, 2018
The Shanaplan fell apart and became the Kylahan and for getting conned like that I say about Shanny,

Leave the gun,take the cannoli's.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Have you not witness the last 3o yrs
Where an American club always wins the cup
Because they’re growing the market down there they don't have to grow it here. Plus the usa market is 100 tine bigger then canada
I’ve watched the last 60. Why wouldnt he want those bigger markets involved more often?

The Canadian teams have been mismanaged and players don’t want to live there, so I get that. But Edmonton reached a conference final and looks like they’ll continue to roll on. In the east, Ottawa is headed in the right direction and maybe they’ll break through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad