When is it stat padding?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
The two we’ll known cases of stat padding I know of were...

Iginla in 2002. Was chasing 50 goals and Flames were out of it. He was on the ice cherry picking late in games and with empty nets. Teammates were trying to get him to 50.

Daniel Sedin in 2010-11 was chasing 100 points and Vancouver had already clinched. The team was under orders in the final couple of games to not shoot the puck unless he had touched it.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
If my team is getting blown out, I don't mind the other team putting up even more points, because if we're getting blown out, we need all the tape we can get for coaching purposes!

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Curious....how often are they involved in blow outs?

I'd think that it's much, much, more common that he plays 24 minutes a game and gets all the PP time.

I'm calling complete bullshit on the worried about an injury take.....considering the amount he and Drai play.
Lol what is this? There is a very clear difference between McDavid playing large minutes in close games and lower minutes in a blowout, and playing low minutes in blowouts is once again very obviously to prevent injuries. Yes he plays lots in close games. Because no shit. He’s the best player in the world.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
The end of McDavid's 2016-17 season felt like stat-padding and he basically admitted, in the Dreger interview, that he went Art Ross-hunting in the last month of that season (24 points in his last 13 games). Obviously, there's nothing wrong with it and you have to give credit to his talent but I think it should have hurt his case for the Hart.

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
The end of McDavid's 2016-17 season felt like stat-padding and he basically admitted, in the Dreger interview, that he went Art Ross-hunting in the last month of that season (24 points in his last 13 games). Obviously, there's nothing wrong with it and you have to give credit to his talent but I think it should have hurt his case for the Hart.
Mcdavid should have lost the Hart because he put up 24 points in 13 games down the stretch leading his team to an 9-3-1 record in that period? This might be the craziest mental gymnastics i've ever seen to try and bring a player down.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Mcdavid should have lost the Hart because he put up 24 points in 13 games down the stretch leading his team to an 9-3-1 record in that period? This might be the craziest mental gymnastics i've ever seen to try and bring a player down.
If this is the craziest "mental gymnastics" you've ever seen, I'll just assume you're new to hockey and HFBoards, in particular.

The Oilers were home and cooled in the Pacific, by that point in the season, and really only gained position on San Jose with their final streak (mostly beating up on Colorado, Vancouver, and LA). McDavid's crazy hotstreak didn't move the needle much on their playoff positioning, so I'm not wrong to question the overall impact of that stretch in comparison to the rest of the season. I'm always suspect about late-season upticks, especially when a team has already settled into a playoff position (see Perry's Hart in 2011). And McDavid basically admitted to gunning for the Art Ross in that last month, while his competitors geared down in preparation for the playoffs.

At the end of the day, people were just excited to see the Oilers climb out of the basement and McDavid was a good choice for the Hart. But, everything taken into consideration, I still feel Crosby was a better choice (and the better player).

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Or he may have gotten better at hockey due to experience and age

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Washington leaving Ovechkin and PP 1 on the ice for entire PPs in an 8-1 win. Ovechkin finished the game with 9:17 in PP time that game.

Generally this doesn't occur.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Interesting how that coincided with the last month of the season, when the Art Ross was in reach...

You don’t think him or anyone would love love 5 points a game every game? I’m sure he is doing the best he can most nights

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
If this is the craziest "mental gymnastics" you've ever seen, I'll just assume you're new to hockey and HFBoards, in particular.

The Oilers were home and cooled in the Pacific, by that point in the season, and really only gained position on San Jose with their final streak (mostly beating up on Colorado, Vancouver, and LA). McDavid's crazy hotstreak didn't move the needle much on their playoff positioning, so I'm not wrong to question the overall impact of that stretch in comparison to the rest of the season. I'm always suspect about late-season upticks, especially when a team has already settled into a playoff position (see Perry's Hart in 2011). And McDavid basically admitted to gunning for the Art Ross in that last month, while his competitors geared down in preparation for the playoffs.

At the end of the day, people were just excited to see the Oilers climb out of the basement and McDavid was a good choice for the Hart. But, everything taken into consideration, I still feel Crosby was a better choice (and the better player).
The Oilers almost won the division because of that hot streak. I think those playoffs go very differently if Anaheim plays SJ instead of a pathetic Calgary team

Interesting how that coincided with the last month of the season, when the Art Ross was in reach...
McDavid led the Art Ross race the whole season.

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton

How were the Oilers "home and cooled", they were competing to win the division until the very last game of the season. Playing hard down the stretch to carry your team into a better play off position is exactly what a Hart winner should do. In what world do players gear down for the play offs, what does that even mean? Do coaches on contenders tell their team to just stop trying down the stretch? Obviously resting will happen if a team is absolutely locked into a position but its rarely more than a few games. Hell in 2017 Pittsburgh only rested Sid the final game of the year and they were long out of competing for the division title.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
He led the Art Ross race at the end of October, November, January, February, March and April. In December he was tied Malkin in points and behind on the goals tiebreaker.
That's cool. But throughout the year, McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Marchand and even Brent Burns all pushed for the lead at some point and McDavid DID NOT hold the lead all season long. Let's not pretend that McDavid was well ahead. He hung with the leaders, switching out with a few of the them, until the last month of the season. Again, I'm always a bit hesitant to do cartwheels when a player pours it on in April and starts pulling away from the pack.

How were the Oilers "home and cooled", they were competing to win the division until the very last game of the season. Playing hard down the stretch to carry your team into a better play off position is exactly what a Hart winner should do. In what world do players gear down for the play offs, what does that even mean? Do coaches on contenders tell their team to just stop trying down the stretch? Obviously resting will happen if a team is absolutely locked into a position but its rarely more than a few games. Hell in 2017 Pittsburgh only rested Sid the final game of the year and they were long out of competing for the division title.
I imagine you're a pretty young Oilers fan. So, with that, I'll let you know that most contenders rest their players (through game management) in the last month of a season. Pittsburgh had already been there and done that, many times over, so Crosby eased up in the last month of the season. McDavid didn't and it was obvious. The guy admitted it in an interview, so I'm note even sure why you'r arguing this.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Wow... I know it wasn't the OPs intent but now some posters have to stoop so low to resort to claiming McDavid is stat padding in an attempt to diminish his dominance. Man some people are either ignorant or salty. Such an embarrassing take.

Yeah the Oilers are such a dominant team that they are usually up 3-4 goals every game they win... which is almost every game... :rolleyes:

Stat padding... these are professional athletes playing a professional sport not minor or beer league hockey.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
That's cool. But throughout the year, McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Marchand and even Brent Burns all pushed for the lead at some point and McDavid DID NOT hold the lead all season long. Let's not pretend that McDavid was well ahead. He hung with the leaders, switching out with a few of the them, until the last month of the season. Again, I'm always a bit hesitant to do cartwheels when a player pours it on in April and starts pulling away from the pack.

I imagine you're a pretty young Oilers fan. So, with that, I'll let you know that most contenders rest their players (through game management) in the last month of a season. Pittsburgh had already been there and done that, many times over, so Crosby eased up in the last month of the season. McDavid didn't and it was obvious. The guy admitted it in an interview, so I'm note even sure why you'r arguing this.
What months of the regular season are acceptable months to score points?

Reactions: Dieseloil

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton

Whatever you say champ. At what point is it acceptable for Mcdavid to keep trying to win games this season before he is ineligible for the Hart?

Reactions: Dieseloil

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Pumping nice stats, and falling off the cliff or disappearing in the playoffs.

That's the worst kind of stat padding. Especially goalies who blame their own players for view blocking etc. in season games and then just shit themselves in the playoffs. That's how one single person can decide the result of the playoff run...

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think some people are misinterpreting the thread. The idea isn't about whether running up the score is a bad thing. No one should intentionally not try to score on their opportunities in a professional league. The issue is whether we should factor in players putting up meaningless points in blowouts when teams have let off the gas pedal when we evaluate them. For instance, if you had two players who both scored 30 goals, but one player scored the opening goal of the game for all 30 and the other's goals were all late in the third while his team was already leading by 3, I think you can confidently say that the first player was more valuable. I think it might have some effect, mostly for players on really good or bad teams, but it probably balances out for the most part over a season

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad