When is it stat padding?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The only scenario i can think of is when you have a huge lead and continue to roll out your top pp unit to pile on.
Otherwise it doesn't really happen at the nhl level

Reactions: Neil Racki

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Has been discussed lately pertaining to guys like Gretzky and McDavid. I’m not asking about them specifically but in general. I’ve often thought empty net points or pp minutes in the 3rd of a blowout are stat padding but what about something like a 2 period breakaway in a 5-1 game? By those metrics I don’t think it’s fair to call McDavid a stat padder.

An EN goal is underrated. You either have to launch an accurate shot from your own d zone without icing it, or you have to maneuver or pass the puck past 6 skaters for a clear lane to the net. It can also be the nail in the coffin that wins a game even when it isn't the GWG. A breakaway goal is a breakaway goal no matter the score. It takes skill not only to launch and execute the breakaway, but you also have to outshoot the goalie, which isn't a gimme. A second period goal to make it 6-1 can secure a 6-5 win in the end, it's happened before.

McDavid isn't a stat padder, nor is anyone else. Any time a player can score, he SHOULD score, and it should count in his stats.

* the only thing I would consider "padding" is EN situations when the whole team is trying to feed that guy with 2 goals to get him a hat trick. But that's padding a hat trick stat, not goal stat, and they often lose an opportunity to score while trying to set him up.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Both McDavid and Draisaitl have padded stats from being on the ice for as much as 27 minutes a game McDavid played back to back games of 27:00+ minutes a game on April 19 and 21, 2021. That's pretty unheard of for a forward. Is it purposeful stat padding? No. The Oilers roster is simply not very deep.

This is where ESG/60 comes in

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
The only way stat padding would work is if goalies were getting paid to let a certain player score. It’s more likely that teams pay mcdavid to not score.

mcdingdong

Mar 21, 2019
Both McDavid and Draisaitl have padded stats from being on the ice for as much as 27 minutes a game McDavid played back to back games of 27:00+ minutes a game on April 19 and 21, 2021. That's pretty unheard of for a forward. Is it purposeful stat padding? No. The Oilers roster is simply not very deep.
That's...not stat padding.
Congrats on your men's league goal though.

Reactions: RattsSSV

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Blowout games are strange situations in hockey, maybe more so then any other team sport.

- you can run out the clock in football.
- you can put more balls in play without swinging for the fences in baseball.
- you can play half court game, utilizing most of the shot clock in basketball.

In hockey, until the horn sounds, you have to skate and you can't just pass around the puck at the blue line. You have to play.

If you get into a scoring opportunity, what do you do? Not shoot?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
All I have to say in the context of "padding" while you're already ahead, you think in hind sight Toronto should've padded their lead against boston in game 7 2013(2013? I think it was 2013). You think Edmonton should've padded their lead against Anaheim on 2017 playoffs? I think it's a dumb unwritten rule.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Stat-padding only exists in rec leagues, not in a competitive league like the NHL. The game's not over until the final horn

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Looks like you're sitting at -$500. It literally happened in the Oilers last game.
zchhfUR.png

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Oh yes it does. The year Benn won the Art Ross it was because the Stars team played specifically for him to get as many points as possible. The team was eliminated from the playoffs and that was all they had to play for and they did.
Add when Nash tied for the Rocket Richard Trophy to this particular list. It was VERY evident that it was a team goal (or at least a Doug MacLean goal).

Reactions: Pointteen

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The NHL really doesn't have statistics that are valued that don't involve actual scoring so stat padding isn't really a thing in this league unlike say the NFL where teams getting blown out may have looser defenses to pass and run against and drive up their yardage and completion numbers without having any real impact on the game.

ALine

May 14, 2012
Stat padding cannot exist in any league or tournament that uses goal differential as a tie breaker. Even if its down the list of stats used for tie breaking and rarely, if ever, gets to that point. Its still on the list and could be a scenario where a few more goals in a blowout could come into play.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Care to explain why you posted this? It certainly doesn't help your case at all. You do realize that McDavid has lower TOI than Nugent-Hopkins, Yamamoto and Draisaitl according to this. How is it stat padding to play the 4th highest minutes on your team? McDavid could have played 5 more minutes in that game if they were really wanting him to pad those stats.

Reactions: RattsSSV

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Outside the very end of blow out games scenario and player with 2 goals going for the hat trick in those, one famous case was Iginla Art Ross, once the flames were out of the playoff run they became a make Iginla win the art ross team.

For the case above, that one example that stats padding isn't necessarily bad, once the team is out of the playoff run not having has a game plan to win the most game has possible is not bad anymore obviously, that fun for the team, your franchise player, the fanbase and so on, some game with no overtime he played nearly 30 minutes when the second highest player on is team (defenseman) were at 22-23 minutes by the end of the season.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Outside the very end of blow out games scenario and player with 2 goals going for the hat trick in those, one famous case was Iginla Art Ross, once the flames were out of the playoff run they became a make Iginla win the art ross team.

For the case above, that one example that stats padding isn't necessarily bad, once the team is out of the playoff run not having has a game plan to win the most game has possible is not bad anymore obviously, that fun for the team, your franchise player, the fanbase and so on, some game with no overtime he played nearly 30 minutes when the second highest player on is team (defenseman) were at 22-23 minutes by the end of the season.

So, an average night for McDrai?

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Add when Nash tied for the Rocket Richard Trophy to this particular list. It was VERY evident that it was a team goal (or at least a Doug MacLean goal).

This is the first time I've heard of either of these (Nash was 20 years ago, so ok) allegations. Seems pretty outlandish, especially when Benn won the Art Ross with under 90 points I believe. Is there any even circumstantial evidence to suggest this happened or was it talked about at the time?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I'm sure I am going to get some backlash for this, but it is stats paddling when you keep playing Lucic on PP despite having 0 PPP in over 30 minutes on PP....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Contract negotiations are based on numbers. Total numbers and averages. When you start dumping pucks because you have a lead you kill your analytic numbers and so on. Score 29 goals in a season and miss out on 30 because you took it easy in garbage time, it costs you money at the contract table.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Is this question about professional hockey at the NHL level or call of duty or something?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad