When is it stat padding?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Stat padding is only a thing when the Oilers play the Senators.

Apparently.

I'd never actually heard of this before this season, and have only heard about it with regards to these two teams.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
McDavid is the biggest stat padder. he's always out there when up 6-1 or down 6-1.
Look at the minutes he plays.
Just lot of garbage meaningless points.

You're objectively wrong.

Last game vs. the Jets he played a total of 16 minutes. That is just the latest example. Once the Oilers have a big lead (which doesn't often happen, btw) he's stapled to the bench.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
When you play Ottawa or Buffalo.
Why do people still think Ottawa is this terrible team that shouldn’t belong in the league?
Other than playing the Oilers, Ottawa has been competitive in every game. Hell, they still haven’t been shutout this season.
Other than that 2-13 start of the year, they’ve been quite good in all honesty.

Reactions: stony and RattsSSV

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
It's never stat padding. Nothing is guaranteed.

If you pull your goalie, and your opponent scores, well, that's hockey. If you pull your goalie again and your opponent scores again, well, that's still hockey.

If you don't want the other team to "pad their stats", then don't suck.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Why do people still think Ottawa is this terrible team that shouldn’t belong in the league?
Other than playing the Oilers, Ottawa has been competitive in every game. Hell, they still haven’t been shutout this season.

Even in most games against Edmonton, Ottawa played really well.

Reactions: RattsSSV

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Because people need Ottawa to be awful to prop up their garbage "North division bad" narrative.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
By the way i remember reading a Gretzky quote or an interview where he said when opposing teams had their 4th line out he would quite often just jump off the bench and on the ice without the coachies telling him to because he knew he could so easily score on those players.
Back then a 4-0 lead wasnt safe though, lol

Reactions: Pointteen

Zamknij kurwa ryj

Feb 22, 2021
McDavid is the biggest stat padder. he's always out there when up 6-1 or down 6-1.
Look at the minutes he plays.
Just lot of garbage meaningless points.
You were close. So close.

McDavid is effectively benched when the Oilers are up by more than 3. Every single 3rd period this season where the Oilers have led by a large margin has seen him get 3-4 minutes tops.

But somebody with an irrational hatred of McDavid and his greatness wouldn't let facts get in the way now, would they?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
WHA/NHL late 70's through the 80's?

also called running up the score. One of the unwritten rules in hockey and many other sports.

I recall a number of years ago that Crosby, Ovechkin, and Henrik Sedin all ran up the score on their last games of the season on meaningless games, but with the purpose that all three were in the hunt for the Hart trophy.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
The only thing I would consider stat padding is giving a guy a touch on an empty net goal. Like when Pastrnak dropped the empty net goal off for Bergeron. I don’t see why anyone would have an issue with this

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
yeah, I could have used NJ or CLB instead of OTT but still ...

upload_2021-4-28_12-1-56.png

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
is it stat padding when mcdavid only gets a handful of shifts in the third every time there's a blowout, or when the oilers put out their 2nd unit pp for a full 2 min so mcdavid doesn't risk injury?
What are two things that never happen, Alex? For 500.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If it's like a 4-1 game with a minute left on the PP and you put out your top guys. Not that I disagree with the coaches decision to do that, it's hockey you wanna score, but the games all but over at that point. I don't think it really exists in hockey, much more relevant in the NBA.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
is it stat padding when mcdavid only gets a handful of shifts in the third every time there's a blowout, or when the oilers put out their 2nd unit pp for a full 2 min so mcdavid doesn't risk injury?

Curious....how often are they involved in blow outs?

I'd think that it's much, much, more common that he plays 24 minutes a game and gets all the PP time.

I'm calling complete bullshit on the worried about an injury take.....considering the amount he and Drai play.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
when its in your beer league and your team is beating another team by 8 goals and you keep piling it on, its stat padding. When a professional paid athlete continues scoring he is only helping the possibility of obtaining more income for his career.

True story. My beer league team was up 8-2. I scored a goal and did a bit of a celebration. I'm not very good and don't score that often. The other team took great offence to my celebration.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Both McDavid and Draisaitl have padded stats from being on the ice for as much as 27 minutes a game McDavid played back to back games of 27:00+ minutes a game on April 19 and 21, 2021. That's pretty unheard of for a forward. Is it purposeful stat padding? No. The Oilers roster is simply not very deep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad