When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I watched Rangers Wings game and I know the Rangers are good, but I never felt the Wings were a threat to win the game. Are the Rangers this good or are the Wings just too meh? It's too early to tell but I'm leaning on the wings not being a serious threat. I don't think they are built to sustain serious threats moving forward. Their core is not enough to get them over the hump, let alone goal tending. Steve Yzerman needs to be criticized.
Wings are the definition of mid. Not terrible, but not a threat to make any noise.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
I mean at some point you need to play the young guys, Yzerman has drafted very well for the wings considering no #1 picks. Without a sure fire #1 it will take longer for the team to come together, his FA signings have been questionable, but he's done a good job at building a top farm system for the Wings, now it just needs to translate into the NHL, I'd say you can better judge his progress when more of his picks hit the NHL, but he did well with Seider and Raymond, Danielson looks like a stud and there is a lot of interesting players in the system. I'd say its too early to sat it failed, because you need patience with rebuilds, you can either try and force it like the Sens did or let it take the course naturally, I prefer the Yzerman route of taking his time and letting things happen instead of trying to force it.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
The never-ending question still stands. Is the defense that bad BECAUSE of Lalonde, or because of the players Yzerman has brought in?
Speaking as someone who was mortified by opening night performance, the last two games have been significantly better. The Rangers abused the Wings at the face-off dot last night, but generally speaking if the Wings maintain the standard of play they brought last night, I have to think they make the playoffs.

To your question at hand, you can create a system that with marginal talent that will get beat by good players some times, but not have the the goat rodeo breakdowns this team has seen the last couple of years. Not sure if these breakdowns are simply poor communication, or trying to fit a square-peg in a round hole. Bet even if it is the latter, the Wings could be choosing to play a system that is not-optimal for the current line-up but is what they want the core to learn for the future. As rough as the d-zone has been the last year or two, if there is one thing I am comfortable with this team, it is the future of the blue line.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I watched Rangers Wings game and I know the Rangers are good, but I never felt the Wings were a threat to win the game. Are the Rangers this good or are the Wings just too meh? It's too early to tell but I'm leaning on the wings not being a serious threat. I don't think they are built to sustain serious threats moving forward. Their core is not enough to get them over the hump, let alone goal tending. Steve Yzerman needs to be criticized.
It's 1 game and you're judging a cup-or-bust roster vs. a roster that still has probably 50-60% of it's expected talent in the pipeline.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
So much cap spent on dreck on the wings. Copp, compher, holl, chiarot, kane, tarasenko. I think there’s a decent chance they’re a bottom 10 team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad