When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
seeing people bring up the same 1-2 teams that arguably won without elite talent over and over again in this thread is honestly so tiresome

personally even if for the sake of argument you assume the Wings have comparable players like people keep insisting i'd actually like a higher bar than "these 2 examples in the past couple decades prove that it's not literally impossible for my team to win!"
and those teams were deep as shit

Reactions: Czechboy

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I've been critical of it for months, maybe even a year at this point.

I don't think he's a good GM, I think he's done a terrible job, he's been their 5 years they should be a playoff team by now.

Any other GM in any other sport would be fired by now.

But It's Yzerman, and It's Detroit so that's not going to happen, nobody in Detroit is going to fire arguably the greatest Red Wing.to ever live, It's either him or Howe.

And because that's not going to happen the Red Wings aren't going to get better.

They use to be the class of the NHL.

Now they are stuck at the bottom.
But no other GM from any other sport would have gotten the Wings into the playoffs by now so what does it matter? What good does it do firing a guy that's dramatically improved the team and the prospect pool during his tenure?

1. My opinion. I think you need a superstar #1 center to win a Cup. If it's just a "star" center like Eichel then they need to elevate themselves as Eichel did, and as Kuznetsov did for the Caps.

2. Larkin might be able to do the same but hasn't had the opportunity yet. I won't just assume that he'll put up 26 points in 22 games in his first Cup run like Jack did. It's a stretch, and it's not ideal having him as your top guy.
It also helps tremendously having the Conn Smythe winner on your wing...

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
But no other GM from any other sport would have gotten the Wings into the playoffs by now so what does it matter? What good does it do firing a guy that's dramatically improved the team and the prospect pool during his tenure?

It also helps tremendously having the Conn Smythe winner on your wing...

5 years? a GM should AT LEAST be a playoff team in 5 years.

If you aren't then they aren't doing a good job.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Not at the state the 2019 Wings were in, no. The roster he stepped into, the 2019-2020 Red Wings were one of the worst non-expansion (or within 2-3 years of expansion) teams of all time. Dead last in the cap era. You don't turn that around in 5 years when Larkin was the only redeemable asset on that team. I mean, he could have done some stupid shit like flipping picks for players, but that's not at all sustainable. That's a one and done playoff run which does no one any good.

He's got a mediocre team right now. But he also has 5 more 1st round picks knocking on the door.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Kane and Tarasenko going to be up for trades soon
What will the return be? They don't need draft picks that will pan out when Larkin is in his mid 30s and they don't need any more veterans who will block the players that are already there but will never get a real chance under Lalonde.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not at the state the 2019 Wings were in, no. The roster he stepped into, the 2019-2020 Red Wings were one of the worst non-expansion (or within 2-3 years of expansion) teams of all time. Dead last in the cap era. You don't turn that around in 5 years when Larkin was the only redeemable asset on that team. I mean, he could have done some stupid shit like flipping picks for players, but that's not at all sustainable. That's a one and done playoff run which does no one any good.

He's got a mediocre team right now. But he also has 5 more 1st round picks knocking on the door.

Shanny took over the Leafs in 2014, 2 months BEFORE Nylander was drafted so he did not have any of Matthews Marner or Nylander when he got here He had Rielly going into his 2nd season I think, might have even been his 1st, in fact I think it was his 1st because I think Rielly 2nd season was Babcock's 1st.

Point is this when Shanny got here there was no Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Hyman none of them, there was a VERY young, VERY green Rielly and that's it.

Say what you want about their playoff struggles those are what they are, But just a couple years later they were in the playoffs and have been ever sense.

Reality is Shanny started with Just as little as Yzerman did, in fact he started with less because there was no Dylan Larkin to build around in Toronto like there was in Detroit.

So why is it Shanny was able to start with less because the fact is he did.

Yet he was able to do in less than 3 years what Yzerman hasn't been able to do in 5, soon to be 6?

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
What will the return be? They don't need draft picks that will pan out when Larkin is in his mid 30s and they don't need any more veterans who will block the players that are already there but will never get a real chance under Lalonde.

Who knows but something is better than nothing...

If Wings are near the bottom of division why would either want to stay in their twilight?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
1. My opinion. I think you need a superstar #1 center to win a Cup. If it's just a "star" center like Eichel then they need to elevate themselves as Eichel did, and as Kuznetsov did for the Caps.

2. Larkin might be able to do the same but hasn't had the opportunity yet. I won't just assume that he'll put up 26 points in 22 games in his first Cup run like Jack did. It's a stretch, and it's not ideal having him as your top guy.
So basically you just proved yourself wrong…

You don’t need an elite C, you just need a good one who steps up at the right time.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

When your top players are Larkin, Mantha and Hronek and you have a bottom 3 prospect pool in the NHL while also being a cap team because of horrible contracts no you shouldn’t be a playoff team in 5 years :laugh:

I feel like I’ve asked you this before without an answer… please give us the examples of how you would have had the wings be a playoff team by now while also focusing on the future?
and those teams were deep as shit
With the prospect pool we have, we will be deep as shit

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I think the right question is here, when does the Yzerplan STOP getting criticized?

Persistent and frustrated neutral fans will stop at nothing until this man no longer has a job as an NHL GM!

Brace yourselves Red Wing fans, this could be a bumpy ride back down to the bottom!

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Shanny took over the Leafs in 2014, 2 months BEFORE Nylander was drafted so he did not have any of Matthews Marner or Nylander when he got here He had Rielly going into his 2nd season I think, might have even been his 1st, in fact I think it was his 1st because I think Rielly 2nd season was Babcock's 1st.

Point is this when Shanny got here there was no Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Hyman none of them, there was a VERY young, VERY green Rielly and that's it.

Say what you want about their playoff struggles those are what they are, But just a couple years later they were in the playoffs and have been ever sense.

Reality is Shanny started with Just as little as Yzerman did, in fact he started with less because there was no Dylan Larkin to build around in Toronto like there was in Detroit.

Yet he was able to do in less than 3 years what Yzerman hasn't been able to do in 5, soon to be 6?

1) Is this really the example you want to use

2) Where would the Leafs be if they pulled #4 in the draft and got Puljujarvi instead of Matthews

3) The Leafs got another team's captain to chase the hometown dream and leave his former team with their dicks in their hands, the Wings have no such prospect

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

So basically the Wings should have just won a lottery and get a Matthews level player?

Be able to get a PPG + player at 8 (there haven’t been any available)

Draft a 100pt player at 5 (they kept losing lotteries and never got to pick there, nor have there been any available in any of their drafts)

I can’t believe they hadn’t thought of that!!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
1) Is this really the example you want to use

2) Where would the Leafs be if they pulled #4 in the draft and got Puljujarvi instead of Matthews

3) The Leafs got another team's captain to chase the hometown dream and leave his former team with their dicks in their hands, the Wings have no such prospect

Honestly he probably would have been developed better had he gone almost anywhere except the Oilers at the time.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

A #1OA and a pair of pajamas come to mind...

He’s had six drafts, six free agent periods, five trade deadlines.
Yes. Lets let those kids make it to the show, yeah? The draft is where you build a team. Free agency and the trade deadline are filler once you know what you have and don't have.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He’s had six drafts, six free agent periods, five trade deadlines.
Yeah, crazy that all of those mid 1st round picks from 2024, 2023, 2022 aren’t already making a massive impact on the team at 18,19 and 20 years old. Crazy even!

Let’s see you map it out how the Wings should be both a playoff team AND have future success already?

I’m excited to hear it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad