When does the Yzerplan start getting criticized?

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Edmonton was one game away from winning a Stanley Cup. It’s time to stop citing them as an example of a failed rebuild. If anything they’re proof that if you tank for a while and you get guys that aren’t good enough, you may as well keep tanking (even if it’s a new gm or two by the end of it)… as unglamorous and lack of style points as that may be. Had they said “ok that didn’t work” and Mid’d out to miss on getting Draisaitl and McDavid, they’d be materially worse off today. It also really shows how franchise gamebreaking talent can overcome a lot of executive level mistakes.
Not citing them as a failed rebuild. Look how long it took for them to get “just one game away” from winning the cup. McDavid is now what… 27-28 years old?

My point is it doesn’t happen overnight. A proper rebuild takes A LONG time.

You are right though that having 2 of the best players in the world helps hide a lot of the teams warts.

Yzerman is trying to build a team that doesn’t have any warts. It doesn’t have 2 generational players to lean on either. It’s going to be a line up filled with exceptional players and depth.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Raymond had 31g/73pts at 21 years old :laugh:

ROR had a career high of 77, while being like 7 years older at the time.

Sure man, whatever you say
O'Reilly was 31st in league scoring and won the Selke Trophy, awarded annually to the National Hockey League forward who demonstrates the most skill in the defensive component of the game. The winner is selected by a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association following the regular season.

While I don't doubt that Raymond (45th in league scoring, while sporting a 19 % shooting percentage) will surpass O'Reilly's high point watermark, it remains to be seen if he will surpass his overall impact.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not citing them as a failed rebuild. Look how long it took for them to get “just one game away” from winning the cup. McDavid is now what… 27-28 years old?

You are right though that having 2 of the best players in the world helps hide a lot of the teams warts.

Yzerman is trying to build a team that doesn’t have any warts. It doesn’t have 2 generational players to lean on either. It’s going to be a line up filled with exceptional players and depth.
How many years has it been for Yzerman?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Still really lacking in the exceptional player department.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
How many years has it been for Yzerman?
He’s been the GM since 2019
Edmonton was in the bottom of the league in 2006 or 2007 I believe (somebody can fact check for me)

Took them 10 years to get back into the playoffs and be relevant. Also helped they got some luck in drafting McDavid.

Rebuilds take time. Get over it, just because you’re used to finishing quickly doesn’t mean that’s how a franchise’s roster and prospect pool is rebuilt in the same timely fashion.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton was in the bottom of the league in 2006 or 2007 I believe (somebody can fact check for me)

Took them 10 years to get back into the playoffs and be relevant. Also helped they got some luck in drafting McDavid.

Rebuilds take time. Get over it, just because you’re used to finishing quickly doesn’t mean that’s how a franchise’s roster and prospect pool is rebuilt in the same timely fashion.
Right, Edmonton sucked and then they got McDavid and Draisaitl and now they're good. They wouldn't have got those guys if they weren't in a position of sucking enough to draft them to begin with. Yzerman has made it tougher to get the next McDavid and Draisaitl because he signed a bunch of Mid Vets so that Luke and Mo don't get "caved in" resulting in an aggressively mid team eight years into Detroit's rebuild.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
Right, Edmonton sucked and then they got McDavid and Draisaitl and now they're good. They wouldn't have got those guys if they weren't in a position of sucking enough to draft them to begin with. Yzerman has made it tougher to get the next McDavid and Draisaitl because he signed a bunch of Mid Vets so that Luke and Mo don't get "caved in" resulting in an aggressively mid team eight years into Detroit's rebuild.
This team is a few years away from their top prospects graduating. That’s what the timetable is, since they didn’t have the opportunity to draft a McDavid who was ready right off the bat to make the NHL and will probably go down as one of the best players to ever play the game.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
Prospects aren't automatically better just because SY drafted them the same way Notre Dame football recruits aren't better just because ND signed them. It is perceived that some DRW fans think they are.
The league has a lot of teams that have had highly rated pools that never panned out as making their teams better, especially when those pools strengths were depth over quality. Hoping for it doesn't make it so. Time will tell but I am not convinced it is going to work out to being a Cup contender.
I feel that they will become another Minnesota Wild. In fact, I think the Wild are in as good if not better place right now. No I am not a Wild fan either.

Reactions: Zarzh and Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
As a huge OIler fan and one that followed during all this.. I'd say we are the prototype of exactly not what to do.

But, at one point, our prospect pool was McD, Drai, Nurse, Paajarvi, Hall, Yak, RNH, Ebs... all early first rounders and I'd say guys with higher ceillings (at the time) then Raymond, Seider, ASP, Edvinsson, Cossa and Augustine. And we sucked forever after that. And that was a damn good looking group of Top 5 picks.

For us it was shit management and development. Went from rushing prospects (Chia) to over ripening them (Holland) to losing them outright as our last 5 first rounders are not with us.lol

I'd use the Oilers as a cautionary tale of what not to do.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

In those 10 years the Oilers rebuilt twice. They had to move on from the Hall centred group because they got stuck in the lower middle. Imo the Wings are following the same path. They have a lot of good complimentary players but lack the elite guys. As those complimentary players come into their second and third contracts they eat too much of the cap for the team to legitimately compete. That’s where so many unsuccessful rebuilds, get stuck. Clubs are endlessly rebuilding because they never get the elite players.

Reactions: Czechboy

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
In those 10 years the Oilers rebuilt twice. They had to move on from the Hall centred group because they got stuck in the lower middle. Imo the Wings are following the same path. They have a lot of good complimentary players but lack the elite guys. As those complimentary players come into their second and third contracts they eat too much of the cap for the team to legitimately compete. That’s where so many unsuccessful rebuilds, get stuck. Clubs are endlessly rebuilding because they never get the elite players.
I understand what you are saying, so don’t get me wrong…. I’ve watched the oilers most Saturday nights growing up because that was usually what was on hockey night in Canada.

My issue is that the prospects are still prospects so to say it’s a failed rebuild while they are still prospects is nonsense especially since a handful of them are trending more towards their ceiling projections vs floor.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I understand what you are saying, so don’t get me wrong…. I’ve watched the oilers most Saturday nights growing up because that was usually what was on hockey night in Canada.

My issue is that the prospects are still prospects so to say it’s a failed rebuild while they are still prospects is nonsense especially since a handful of them are trending more towards their ceiling projections vs floor.
Who are these elite prospective players the Wings have that will move them into a competitive club?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Who knows.

I also didn’t know you need a top 3-5 forward in the world to win the cup lol
My own theory, in a cap world, is that you need 2 out of 3 areas to be very strong. G, F and D. 2 have to be well above average. Eg. My Oil have above average forwards, middle of the road goalies and below average D and I don't recall a cup celebration.lol

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
My own theory, in a cap world, is that you need 2 out of 3 areas to be very strong. G, F and D. 2 have to be well above average. Eg. My Oil have above average forwards, middle of the road goalies and below average D and I don't recall a cup celebration.lol
The wings have one tog the best goalie prospects in the world to go along with a top 3 23 and under D list.

The oilers also came 2 goals away from a Cup.

This idea you need a top 5 player in the world to win a Cup is simply proven wrong all the time

Just confirming that you are not including Raymond and Seider in that argument?
Yes.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
The wings have one tog the best goalie prospects in the world to go along with a top 3 23 and under D list.

The oilers also came 2 goals away from a Cup.

This idea you need a top 5 player in the world to win a Cup is simply proven wrong all the time

Yes.
And hope you know both your future goalie stars are year away.

Eg. Hrabal just got drafted early and I think he will be an NHL star... In about 5 years.

Askarov in AHL
Walstedt in a 3 goalie rotation.
Wolf is in a split tandem at age 23. Won't be a starter till 24 most likely

Those guys are also some of the best goalie prospects in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad