When did you know it was over for this group?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Florida traded 30 goal 115 point winger Jonathan Huberdeau for current 40 goal 109 point powerforward Matthew Tkachuk AFTER winning the President's trophy.

Now the Panthers are a better balanced team on grit and skill.

I'm with you 100% and wonder why so many are so hesitant to break up an unsuccessful core if they don't win it all this year. :help:

Trading one of the double digits should get them an extremely good return.

They'd likely get a player making several million less, or two top 6 forwards, or top 3 defender and a top 6 forward.

I think the need is more at modification at forward.

$11mm * 3 is just 1 too many.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Trading one of the double digits should get them an extremely good return.

They'd likely get a player making several million less, or two top 6 forwards, or top 3 defender and a top 6 forward.

I think the need is more at modification at forward.

$11mm * 3 is just 1 too many.

John Tavares = $11 mil Cap

1683391764404.png

Leafs let Zach Hyman walk as UFA @ $5.5 mil cap and gift in expansion Jared McCann who re-signs for $5 mil with Seattle = $10.5 mil cap combined.

1683391992911.png

&
1683392128606.png

How can having 2 X $5 mil forwards that score as many goals/points as 1 X $11 John Tavares not be more beneficial when speaking Cup competitiveness alone?

Double the goals and nearly double the points for less cap space.

Why do the Leafs need an $11 mil player to do what $5 mil players can in a Salary Cap World?

This is why I keep going back to ground Zero when Leafs signed JT that is was the beginning of the end of true Cup competitiveness that impacted all the results that would follow.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How can having 2 X $5 mil forwards that score as many goals/points as 1 X $11 John Tavares not be more beneficial when speaking Cup competitiveness alone?
Double the goals and nearly double the points for less cap space.
Why do the Leafs need an $11 mil player to do what $5 mil players can in a Salary Cap World?
Yeah, ignoring context is fun! Like.. why does Edmonton want McDavid at 12.5m when they could just have Brock Nelson and Tyler Toffoli providing the same combined production for over 2m cheaper!? Silly Edmonton.

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
I was a huge Marner fan.

I worked for a company and talked with his agent. I was told he would show off our product on social media. I took the chance and sent the product.

Nothing.

Come to find out they do this all the time and Mitch's dad is known for this.. Mr. Kijiji they call him.

Then when his contract came around and he and his dad were acting extremely selfish, it cemented who they were.

I knew it would be tough for us with those type of people leading the way.

Hopefully we still can win though. Its not over.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Dumping a #1C for two wingers with no playoff success (struggles is a a more apt description) feels like a dramatic shift in narrative for that poster , even worse when Hyman broke out at ~30 years old.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Dumping a #1C for two wingers with no playoff success (struggles is a a more apt description) feels like a dramatic shift in narrative for that poster , even worse when Hyman broke out at ~30 years old.

Not that support a Tavares for Hyman game of musical chairs...

but Hyman has played on more playoff series wins now than Tavares, has 4x fewer career playoff goals and 8x fewer points... and his single season playoff run outpoints Tavares' best run 16 to 11... so you can't really dunk on Hyman's lack of playoff track record without highlighting the fact that Hyman's one good 2022 run has him in the same ballpark as JT. It's not a David vs Goliath matchup, let's put it that way.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not that support a Tavares for Hyman game of musical chairs...

but Hyman has played on more playoff series wins now than Tavares, has 4x fewer career playoff goals and 8x fewer points... and his single season playoff run outpoints Tavares' best run 16 to 11... so you can't really dunk on Hyman's lack of playoff track record without highlighting the fact that Hyman's one good 2022 run has him in the same ballpark as JT. It's not a David vs Goliath matchup, let's put it that way.
Hyman's been great and i would have kept him over Crouse/Bunting that summer.

Its more the logical shifts that confuse me with @Mess. Well its not really confusing, its pretty predictable to see the narratives change.

Its not a dunk on Hyman's playoff success, its calling out the hypcorisy and trolling this board allows for some reason.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
What a stupid f***ing thread to keep alive while the Leafs are still in the playoffs.
Agreed, you should call out whoever resurrected it.

Florida traded 30 goal 115 point winger Jonathan Huberdeau for current 40 goal 109 point powerforward Matthew Tkachuk AFTER winning the President's trophy.

Now the Panthers are a better balanced team on grit and skill.

I'm with you 100% and wonder why so many are so hesitant to break up an unsuccessful core if they don't win it all this year. :help:
I think the worry is what if they make it worse?

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Let alone, picking the exact 2 people we are supposed to keep, while they both had career years just this year.

Nitpicking at its finest.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
You gotta ship Nylander or Marner out. I wouldn't re-sign tavares for 4mil at this rate.
I wanted floating Nylander off team as soon as I witnessed that pull up but unfortunately the culture is really driven by Matthews and Marner caring more about pretty plays and being lazy 70% of games and neither will ever be traded because you lose that trade 100% if the time no matter what you get back because you won’t get as offensively talented player in return.

You’d make good strides selling Nylander and finding a taker for robot captain at 25% off, plus trying to find players like Bennett who actually disrupt and have some talent.

Knew after the Habs epic failure that this core four plus Rielly runs the room and are the reason for the loser, TikTok soft culture, so until Matthews and Marner are gone, no amount of adding periphery pieces like O’Rielly, Acciari, Schenn will ever have enough pull or impact to actually change the intensely deep-set culture

Change actual core, GM, coach, and Shanny, full cupboard cleanse or run it back and continue being Reg season stars

Reactions: fan87

The Best Leafs Everr

Jul 29, 2022
Yeah, ignoring context is fun! Like.. why does Edmonton want McDavid at 12.5m when they could just have Brock Nelson and Tyler Toffoli providing the same combined production for over 2m cheaper!? Silly Edmonton.
Difference between McDavid and John Tavares is as big as the gap between north and south poles.

Agreed, you should call out whoever resurrected it.

Does it really matter? What can we achieve with them anyways? Cup is the only goal we should chase and not the process or players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Full marks to Panthers general manager Bill Zito, who boldly traded star winger Jonathan Huberdeau (and defenseman MacKenzie Weegar) to the Calgary Flames because he believed Tkachuk played the kind of game that would better lead to playoff success. Zito was right.

Just need a good GM that has the desire and ability to make his team better even if it comes at the price of a Star player.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Good vibes. Lol. I guess if you're naive. I haven't gotten any "good vibes" from this group in years, because I'm not foolish enough to fall for their grift anymore.
Then if you haven't made enough money off this team loosing you really got nothing. Try relaxing and taking a break from hockey.

LeafsandSharksfan

Cero Miedo
Jan 19, 2010
Changes are coming whether the Leafs want them or not, our big contracts are coming up in the next few years and they have to get the team's cap structure under control.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
I know it was a no brainer move the sign Tavares, the thing is, if we signed Stamkos instead who's aging much better and was a better player anyways I'd be fine with the deal.

But Tavares has really been the anchor on this team's potential. 5on5 is a complete disaster.

I really hope Marner, and Tavares shut me up tonight.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
r/agedlikemilk

The amount of people in this forum who are celebrating one first round victory in two decades like it's a Stanley Cup shows just how low the expectations are for this team. Has to be the most cucked fanbase in pro sports. Complete loser mentality from the management, to the coaches, to the players, to the fans. Embarrassing.
The amount of people who are celebrating one first round victory in two decades like it's a Stanley Cup, is zero.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad