When did you know it was over for this group?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I live in southwestern Ontario, grew up playing hockey, grew up watching the Leafs and therefore a good portion of my social circle are also Leaf fans.

I whole heartedly think the organization is at a point where their short term marketability is in trouble. Almost none of my friends, including myself watch this team anymore, and this trend started last season. Saturday night in particular used to be Leaf night, yet we just don’t care to give them 2.5 hours of our night. They’ve iced the same style of team for 5-6 straight seasons, and the fans can see how this ends, yet management won’t budge, they continue to ice the same style of team.
Yep I’m 30 played triple AAA in the GTHL so my circle was all hockey. Literally no one watches anymore and if the games on, it’s just background noise now.

Prefer football,raptors or blue jays at this point in our lives. No hits no fights no passion no hate no heart. My wife who used to watch every game won’t watch and just calls them heartless.

I haven’t spent a dime in 3 years on the leafs and I had a new baby who I would have normally spent a fortune on leafs gear for. Bland boring hockey I don’t think I’ll watch much more this season until the style of game they play changes. I think the only way that happens is if Keefe gets canned.

Reactions: GoBuds14

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Signing Tavares was the right move because they got him for no assets and the worst case scenario was they could move another player for an equivalent player that fills a role they need *plus* assets. It was a no-brainer. Problem is, that hasn't happened. BTW, Tavares is the best guy on the team recently.
If it was the right move he would have had a positive impact on the team but he hasn't.

JT has played like crap this year outside of doing well as a net front presence on the pp , that's why they're pimping him so hard , it fools the fans that want to believe we aren't wasting 11m in cap .

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
For me, it was the infamous "The Leafs lost to a 42-year old zamboni driver, who works for them" game against CAR in 2020. I personally see that game as not only the most humiliating loss in Leafs history, NHL history, hockey history, but all of sports history (if anyone has one that's worse, please share it for the sake of my morbid curiosity). It was not only the loss of that game, but the fact that Sheldon Keefe cancelled practice the following day, presumably so that the players wouldn't have to face scrutiny from the media. Lastly, Kyle Dubas claiming that the opposing team losing both of their starting goaltenders and so you get to shoot for half the game on a human shooter-tutor is a "no win" situation.

People like to meme and joke about this game and it's obvious why, however, if you look at it from a serious perspective, that 24 hour span truly shows how incompetent this organization is, top to bottom, from its soy-infused GM, to its cowardly coach, to its soft, gutless players. And sitting at the top of shit mountain is Shanahan, the carnival barker, who always somehow manages to escape criticism but should also be gone for allowing this obvious circus to continue unabated for his entire tenure. This organization is completely lacking in accountability and has been for years. We saw this ugliness rear its head again just recently when Keefe had to walk back his (perfectly valid and 100% correct) criticisms of his pampered prima donna stars. The inmates run the asylum in Toronto and this has been obvious to me for years. I'm glad other people are finally waking up to this fact.

You want change and success in Toronto? This entire organization needs to be gutted, top to bottom. Shanahan needs to go, Dubas needs to go, Keefe needs to go and this core needs to be blown into unrecognizable pieces. Then you start building from the ground up once more. Yes, it's horrendous luck (and just so Toronto) that when they finally draft and develop and hit on so many great picks that they all turn out to be spoiled immature children that worship at the shrine of failure when it comes to team success, but continuing to "run it back" for years and years with the same result is an even bigger L that is entirely self inflicted and completely unnecessary.

1.) If it is over…. Why are you watching?

2.) people need to realize that “ebug” games are a joke and the players don’t try. You saw it when Scott foster came in. A literal accountant and got a shutout. Dallas played a game against an ebug with one eye.

So the best players in the world really can’t score on an accountant. A zamboni driver and a guy with one eye? They are amazing stories for the families but they clearly are no win situations.

The leafs scored twice on Ayres in 2 shots. He was falling all over the place and then they stopped. They were hitting his pads between periods. And stopped scoring. They had scored 8 goals against the team right before.

That was a terrible scenario. Your friend. A playoff competitor…..

Anyone who thinks that “oh they should have just scored” has never been good enough at anything to understand.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Is it allready over? Then what are all these people doin here? Go outside, do something else, be usefull.

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
1.) If it is over…. Why are you watching?

2.) people need to realize that “ebug” games are a joke and the players don’t try. You saw it when Scott foster came in. A literal accountant and got a shutout. Dallas played a game against an ebug with one eye.

So the best players in the world really can’t score on an accountant. A zamboni driver and a guy with one eye? They are amazing stories for the families but they clearly are no win situations.

The leafs scored twice on Ayres in 2 shots. He was falling all over the place and then they stopped. They were hitting his pads between periods. And stopped scoring. They had scored 8 goals against the team right before.

That was a terrible scenario. Your friend. A playoff competitor…..

Anyone who thinks that “oh they should have just scored” has never been good enough at anything to understand.
I've watched 2 of 9 games this year. I woke up last night with 9 minutes left in the 3rd. Didn't even know it was an early start. This is coming from a guy who used to download the Leafs schedule into their phone so they'd never miss a game... during the Wilson/Burke years. lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s this current road trip to the Pacific. They finally found their gear as a hockey team in Winnipeg and proceeded to go on a lengthy vacation to Vegas and California, never bothering to show up in a year where they’ve styled themselves a contender for the cup and a division winner.

They could probably go 10-0-0 over the next stretch and I don’t think I’d trust them not to have this in them. Completely lost trust. Individuals will come around but this mix, management staff, coaching. Ain’t it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I've watched 2 of 9 games this year. I woke up last night with 9 minutes left in the 3rd. Didn't even know it was an early start. This is coming from a guy who used to download the Leafs schedule into their phone so they'd never miss a game... during the Wilson/Burke years. lol

According to you. It’s been over for 3 years…… why are you watching ?

TonsofPuppies

Pack your shit, Shanny!
Jun 28, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
According to you. It’s been over for 3 years…… why are you watching ?
I'm not, as I just said. But I am enjoying being proven right after years of people telling me that Dubas knows what he's doing and that I'm "overreacting". I've spent more time on social media reading reactions this season than watching games.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Yep I’m 30 played triple AAA in the GTHL so my circle was all hockey. Literally no one watches anymore and if the games on, it’s just background noise now.

Prefer football,raptors or blue jays at this point in our lives. No hits no fights no passion no hate no heart. My wife who used to watch every game won’t watch and just calls them heartless.

I haven’t spent a dime in 3 years on the leafs and I had a new baby who I would have normally spent a fortune on leafs gear for. Bland boring hockey I don’t think I’ll watch much more this season until the style of game they play changes. I think the only way that happens is if Keefe gets canned.
Unfortunately it's not just Keefe. It's Corporate PC Hockey sanitized for our woke world. Comes right from the Boardroom.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I personally see that game as not only the most humiliating loss in Leafs history, NHL history, hockey history, but all of sports history (if anyone has one that's worse, please share it for the sake of my morbid curiosity).

Winnipeg lost to an accountant and couldn't score on him, that's worse to me.

The Leafs at least scored on like 20% of their shots, Carolina just dominated them.

I also think the zamboni driver sometimes practiced with the Marlies meaning he took pro-level shots, and if I am not mistaken the accountant was just a beer league player at that point.

The loss was embarrassing because of how bad the Leafs played, not because of the goaltender, and then it gets blown out of proportion because it's the Leafs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Yes The Zamboni incident/accident was very embarassing.

Before that was the blowout in the third to Boston and I recall Chara going back to the bench mumbling."It's over" which got me giddy thinking We were actually going to step into a round two playoff. BUT....nope we choked,...then did the same only in a more embarrsing situation against the Habs. That was a total embarrasment of being a fan of the Leafs.

This team and their egos (especially Mitch) has been thouroughly dissapointing and most likely it is because of the way of what happened after Lou left.

We all were waiting for the boys to grow to men,..Lou supplied some protection, laid out his rules, Now when Dubas takes over, he aims at the Souix, takes away the dress code and now we are left with a bunch of entitled brats who think they already paid their dues to the NHL and probably think they are men. (which they are not)

The boards and corners prove it as we need real men to go into the corners fearlessly.

This soft team under the direction Of Dubas which thinks speed and puck possesion is the only tools they need which makes Dubas a tool! This team would be the best on an open lake where there are no boards.

We need to shake the sugar tree in a big way in order for the rest of the league to feel some sort of panickness when they play us and unfortunately Dubas doesn't get it and probably never watched "tin cup" the movie before in his life but we as fans have watched it over, and over, and over again with this team.

Of course like most of you, we have to wait until playoffs to see if we could bust throught the first round,........BUT.......with this team,....Getting out of the 1st round would be a celebration like they won the Stan and a 2nd round exit is more than likely to prevail.

This is all stemming from a poster who has a dog named Wendel.

The only other dog I would name after a Leaf player is a hot dog because most of them are weiners.

Go weiners go!

Shanny just take over...fire Dubas, trade Mitch, coach the team like Lou would have (unless you can get trotz) and find a replacement for yourself if you feel like bowwing/tapping out...Show some friggin tenacity!
Shanahan needs to go first IMHO. He allowed all this nonsense to go on and on. This team should be a reflection of how he played hockey, and it sure to HELL DOES NOT!!!

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Those in your group text were absolutely correct. You don't sign a 27/28 year old UFA for $11M to continue a rebuild.

People questioned whether the team would be able to afford the keep their 3 impending RFA forwards and still maintain the quality depth around them. 34/16/88 rookie year had 8-9 rookies total on any given night so they were already going to be hard pressed to keep everyone when all the ELC's expired...

It was inconceivable that Dubas went out and added an $11M UFA before first distributing money to his stars and other secondary players.

"We can and we will" :facepalm:
Rangers did the same thing with Panarin. Remains to be seen if they can win a Cup. I doubt it though.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Rangers did the same thing with Panarin. Remains to be seen if they can win a Cup. I doubt it though.

Rangers are much closer to a SC than the Leafs. They play an exciting game, unlike what the Leafs are giving us so far and they don't reply on 4 players that can't get it done in closeout games.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Honestly from the outside looking in, as a non leaf fan, there were obvious struggles along the years but I still thought the core and management were going to find a way.

That being said, when Keefe walked back his comments last week, that was the most absurd series of events I think I’ve seen in hockey. It’s like he was so nervous that he hurt their feelings. First of all, the comment wasn’t even that bad and second of all, it was 100% accurate. That was a clear sign that it’s the players who are running the show. Keefe lost all his credibility after that and all the little things they have done over the years that at the time seemed progressive, new, etc (like music in practices, skill sessions etc), now seem extremely corny and amateurish.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Every single time this group is confronted with a challenge, they’ve failed. This was the first.
Did that come before Kaskisuo's NHL debut where they completely hung him out to dry? That was probably the most shameful performance I've ever seen in pro sports.

See a competitive, high character team like Carolina band together and protect a zamboni driver while the Maple Leafs just mail it in when they face any sort of adversity.

"Winnipeg lost to an accountant" is that classic 'smartest kid on the short bus' argument.
Rangers didn't have 8-9 ELC's that would need significant raises. In the case of the top 3 fwds, anywhere from 600-1200% salary increase. They weren't going to be able to keep everyone but Tavares' $11M ensured they had to essentially purge the entire secondary core before they'd even won a round.

I joked at the time it was like a teenager with their first credit card.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

This is Gary's hockey as well. SN loves it. Nice, kind and gentle for everyone.

Every game used to be an event. Now it's hard to sir through a game - even when they're performing.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The day that Dubas/Shanahan took over the keys to dad's Ferrari. It was a guarantee they were going to crash it. It's been a slow painful accident playing out ever since. Destroy everything? We can and we will.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I think that was a really good team last year even if they weren’t necessarily at a championship calibre. But this off-season though when they traded for Matt Murray in a Hail Mary pass it really raised some red flags. The new signings and the younger players all appeared to be quite average and this team needed a boost to contend and not a small step backwards.

These next two weeks are going to be so crucial to the season: lots of good teams to play. I’m excited to see how it works out win or lose.
Even if they don’t make the playoffs, who f***ing cares; I’m tired of first round losses.

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
Shanahan needs to go first IMHO. He allowed all this nonsense to go on and on. This team should be a reflection of how he played hockey, and it sure to HELL DOES NOT!!!
You're not wrong just that the Pres usually stands on dry land while they preach the shit is rolling downstream,..even if it kinda stinks at the top.

I hear you man, and I too thought Shanny would at least construct it differently or insist on some type of power forards and some D men with tenacity.

I don't mind at all, players that can slow the game down but unfortunatley with all the forward motion thinking (we can outscore our problems) the Dubas script needs to be torn first imo.

But, I wouldn't be upset if Shanny too was removed,..it would show somebody upstairs still has balls unless they try to go politically correct and hire someone without balls. (pssst just get the best of the best you can) But the next ones but have some type of tenacity in mind rather than sliding all there chips on forward motion thinking. ;)

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad