When did you know it was over for this group?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So for the ones that know it's over for this group, if you could indulge me...

Who and how would you change this group to make it successful in the playoffs? Serious question.
Add better players that like to win.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Leafs could very well win the Stanley Cup this year.

They probably won't, but the same is true of every other team. At this point, their chances are as good as anyone's.

They are a contender, and I'm pleased to see that.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Has to be posted:

I know it's over
And it never really began
But in my heart it was so real
And you even spoke to me, and said :
"If you're so funny
Then why are you on your own tonight?

Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Has to be posted:

I know it's over
And it never really began
But in my heart it was so real
And you even spoke to me, and said :
"If you're so funny
Then why are you on your own tonight?

Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head...

A Smiths fan…

I’m enjoying the rebound in November. And I hope they keep it going. But you never really know…

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nobody beats my Leafs 11 straight times in elimination games!!
Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football is really the best analogy of what it feels like to be a Leafs fan come playoff time, and winning a playoff round each year.

Strong regular season, increasing belief that this is the year and then ...well you all know how this ends. :)

How long is one expected to be a Charlie Brown Leafs fan, with the team doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?.

1670078341198.png

PS. For those wondering how long this gag has been going on for, with different sitcoms but same ending ... Lucy, Charlie Brown, and 43 Footballs: dating back to the 1950's.

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Charlie Brown, Lucy and the football is really the best analogy of what it feels like to be a Leafs fan come playoff time, and winning a playoff round each year.

Strong regular season, increasing belief that this is the year and then ...well you all know how this ends. :)

How long is one expected to be a Charlie Brown Leafs fan, with the team doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?.

View attachment 616301
Well...the good thing about luck is that it always changes. The Peanuts comparison is interesting, but it's always the same. Lucy always pulled that football away. Toronto has a longer history than the Shanahan Era (Thank God). Things can only be better. This year? I don't know.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
I don’t think that’s true. Their chances are better than most, IMO.
Way the season is playing out at the moment, this seems to be year that the parity is on the level, that there isn't one team over every other. We'll be either very painful playoff time or well hopefully will see something different this year.

It seems we're on our normal regular season roll, even though we have shit ton of injuries. Hopefully we can get healthy roster before playoffs.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Jojalu

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Way the season is playing out at the moment, this seems to be year that the parity is on the level, that there isn't one team over every other. We'll be either very painful playoff time or well hopefully will see something different this year.

It seems we're on our normal regular season roll, even though we have shit ton of injuries. Hopefully we can get healthy roster before playoffs.
I don't know how anyone can watch the Bruins and come away with this take. I've watched 5 or 6 of their games this season. They are beyond dominant. You can see at moments when they're not fully engaged they are still easily neutralizing teams. When they turn it on, which they do for at least 45 - 50 mins a game, they are scary.

Leafs beat them 2-1 but over a playoff series that Bruins team wins every time I'm afraid unless we get stellar goaltending.

Saying that, it's still early in the season. Let's see what things look like at the end of February early March.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I’m surprised more of you arnt understanding of the pessimistic fans and where we are coming from. You’ve all seen first hand what we have been through. Losing in game 7 of the first round every year has been extremely painful for passionate fans like myself.
They hang on and talk about the failures and the past future is the only thing you can change. You live in the past to long you'll never see where you're going.

For me, it was the infamous "The Leafs lost to a 42-year old zamboni driver, who works for them" game against CAR in 2020. I personally see that game as not only the most humiliating loss in Leafs history, NHL history, hockey history, but all of sports history (if anyone has one that's worse, please share it for the sake of my morbid curiosity). It was not only the loss of that game, but the fact that Sheldon Keefe cancelled practice the following day, presumably so that the players wouldn't have to face scrutiny from the media. Lastly, Kyle Dubas claiming that the opposing team losing both of their starting goaltenders and so you get to shoot for half the game on a human shooter-tutor is a "no win" situation.

People like to meme and joke about this game and it's obvious why, however, if you look at it from a serious perspective, that 24 hour span truly shows how incompetent this organization is, top to bottom, from its soy-infused GM, to its cowardly coach, to its soft, gutless players. And sitting at the top of shit mountain is Shanahan, the carnival barker, who always somehow manages to escape criticism but should also be gone for allowing this obvious circus to continue unabated for his entire tenure. This organization is completely lacking in accountability and has been for years. We saw this ugliness rear its head again just recently when Keefe had to walk back his (perfectly valid and 100% correct) criticisms of his pampered prima donna stars. The inmates run the asylum in Toronto and this has been obvious to me for years. I'm glad other people are finally waking up to this fact.

You want change and success in Toronto? This entire organization needs to be gutted, top to bottom. Shanahan needs to go, Dubas needs to go, Keefe needs to go and this core needs to be blown into unrecognizable pieces. Then you start building from the ground up once more. Yes, it's horrendous luck (and just so Toronto) that when they finally draft and develop and hit on so many great picks that they all turn out to be spoiled immature children that worship at the shrine of failure when it comes to team success, but continuing to "run it back" for years and years with the same result is an even bigger L that is entirely self inflicted and completely unnecessary.
Looks like an example of the later.

That loss didn't age well and will never get talked about at great lengths, maybe they spent to much time over hyping something that doesn't matter. False idols.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021

A little surprised Buren's record isn't better, but this jibes with my memory that Keefe is our best coach since Quinn who was our best coach since Burns. Dummies that pretend to be Leaf fans seem to have a great memory of no first round wins in 18 years (when only 6 are relevant) yet forget the awful coach/gm combos we had and how the Keefe/Dubas pairing has out performed everyone in a long long time. 3 year extension for Dubas and keep Keefe for his 2 year deal - then we will properly see the full potential of this organization - or continue to be led by the hateful media and short-circuit us once again

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
I don't know how anyone can watch the Bruins and come away with this take. I've watched 5 or 6 of their games this season. They are beyond dominant. You can see at moments when they're not fully engaged they are still easily neutralizing teams. When they turn it on, which they do for at least 45 - 50 mins a game, they are scary.

Leafs beat them 2-1 but over a playoff series that Bruins team wins every time I'm afraid unless we get stellar goaltending.

Saying that, it's still early in the season. Let's see what things look like at the end of February early March.
We have to respect Bruins, but it's December and real games starts in April, so it's bit early for them to be on form. We'll see in few months, but don't see their roster as equal to Lightning and Avalanche of previous years. That team will always be a problem until Bergeron retires, but they have to keep that form and stay healthy. Also their schedule has been light and for veteran team that spring can be exhausting.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Wich group? ABBA? ROLLING STONES? KISS?
ABBA: was when they got sucked in the to cyberworld like in Tron.
ROLLINGSTONES: When Mick started to move like the Zombies in MJs Thriller, and bodyparts went missing.
KISS was when Gene dropped his tounge on stage ,stepped on it, fell on his back and broke his hip.
Leafs on the other hand has just started.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad