When are we going to be honest with ourselves about how bad Kyle Dubas is?

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Gifted the dream situation that even my 3 year old nephew likely wins a cup with.

Bungles it so badly by trying to be friends with the young stars and overpaying the shit out of them.

Abysmal trade history, abysmal draft history, abysmal hiring history.

Somehow is wanted by Pittsburgh.

Immediately bungles the last shot of Crosby and Malkin by making a terrible trade for Erik Karlsson when he already has Letang (the same type of 1D PP player) giving up assets for it.

Please explain how this guy is anything but terrible?

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Gifted the dream situation that even my 3 year old nephew likely wins a cup with.

Bungles it so badly by trying to be friends with the young stars and overpaying the shit out of them.

Abysmal trade history, abysmal draft history, abysmal hiring history.

Somehow is wanted by Pittsburgh.

Immediately bungles the last shot of Crosby and Malkin by making a terrible trade for Erik Karlsson when he already has Letang (the same type of 1D PP player) giving up assets for it.

Please explain how this guy is anything but terrible?

I’ve always wondered why the Leafs walked away from Lou Lamoriello just to let a guy who’d never negotiated professional contracts to run the team.

A washed Lewis Hamilton is better than any Esteban Ocon.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Karlsson had just won the freaking Norris trophy and they got him without giving up a ton.

It was a worthwhile risk to take, their core group is just too old and Karlsson I think has a weird thing about not being the absolute alpha on the back end (seemed like in San Jose he only really took off once Burns left).

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
He's a politician that figured out that there are a lot of dummies out there that are in love with the idea of an "expert". His data analysis and science that you're too dumb to comprehend gives him a greater understanding.

Nevermind 100+ of history and reality. He's smarter than that. That's why despite EVERYTHING pointing to the contrary, some folks will still glorify him. Of course, the lack of results is just bad luck. All of his deals make sense they just never work because of reasons and stuff.

Reactions: Peasy

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
really is mind boggling isn’t it. I mean what moron would trade all his grit away for the smallest softest players and think that’s a good idea in a contact sport! And when things didn’t work, he doubled, tripled and quadrupled down. I hate the excuse “well we didn’t see covid happening”. Do you think the millions of entrepreneurs world wide through their arms up and called it a day cause covid stopped their business in their tracks? No. They pivoted, they got creative and turned lemons into lemonade. When covid and a flat cap came, after several failures with the core 4, maybe trade one of your $11 million players and fill out the team better instead of throwing up your hands “we couldn’t do anything cause of covid”. What a waste of an era and shanahan will go down as the worse president in team history and dubas worse gm in team history.

Tie Domi Esquire

Oct 18, 2010
I’ve always wondered why the Leafs walked away from Lou Lamoriello just to let a guy who’d never negotiated professional contracts to run the team.

A washed Lewis Hamilton is better than any Esteban Ocon.

Lou wasn't going to be Shanny's patsy. Lou is a true leader.

The Leafs are a political organization. Every person in power has a scapegoat.

Dumbass was the shield for Shamascam. Dumbass is gone because at the last minute he tried to usurp Scamasham. Treliving was hired and of course couldn't make changes because he needed time to assess the team that plateu'd 6 years ago. Nevermind the fact that everyone was re-signed to even worse garbage contract.

Pelley is the next Shanahan, who will be gone this summer when his contract expires. They couldn't make any real changes this summer because Pelley needed time to assess the situation. It's very complicated here in Leafland where nothing has changed for a half decade plus.

Once Scamascam is gone. Then Pelley will get time to trial and then eventually fire Treliving and hire his new GM. Then the new GM will get time to trial and then eventually fire Berube and hire a new coach. Then the coach will get time to fix things! This year is different!!

All the while it is imperative to keep around the Snore Fore, because we absolutely cannot replace them!!! We are not here to sell jerseys, we are here to win the Stanley Cup!!

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Lou wasn't going to be Shanny's patsy. Lou is a true leader.

The Leafs are a political organization. Every person in power has a scapegoat.

Dumbass was the shield for Shamascam. Dumbass is gone because at the last minute he tried to usurp Scamasham. Treliving was hired and of course couldn't make changes because he needed time to assess the team that plateu'd 6 years ago. Nevermind the fact that everyone was re-signed to even worse garbage contract.

Pelley is the next Shanahan, who will be gone this summer when his contract expires. They couldn't make any real changes this summer because Pelley needed time to assess the situation. It's very complicated here in Leafland where nothing has changed for a half decade plus.

Once Scamascam is gone. Then Pelley will get time to trial and then eventually fire Treliving and hire his new GM. Then the new GM will get time to trial and then eventually fire Berube and hire a new coach. Then the coach will get time to fix things! This year is different!!

All the while it is imperative to keep around the Snore Fore, because we absolutely cannot replace them!!! We are not here to sell jerseys, we are here to win the Stanley Cup!!

I raise my glass to this post, sir.

Reactions: Daishi

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Leafs front office guys take the heat, but really it's mainly Matthews-Marner-Tavares-Nylander not doing enough in the playoffs.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Karlsson deal in Pittsburgh was fine, they got a Norris winning D for very little, was worth the risk, the team is just too old and/or has tuned out the coach.

I don't think Dubas is great, but I don't think he's like the worst GM ever, that's just hyperbolic.

How many playoff rounds did they win under Brad Treliving in Toronto last year? *crickets*

Last edited:
Reactions: sanscosm

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Karlsson winning the Norris that year pretty much was the nail in the coffin for me with that award. I watched so many Shark games where he was just abysmal and would be the direct cause of about ten high dangers against but he would get a point on the PP.

Tie Domi Esquire

Oct 18, 2010
Karlsson winning the Norris that year pretty much was the nail in the coffin for me with that award. I watched so many Shark games where he was just abysmal and would be the direct cause of about ten high dangers against but he would get a point on the PP.

I think the writers have found other things to do than watch games. Netflix, Spotify, Nintendo Switch, side gigs since journalism doesn't pay, etc. Matthews also got voted for Selke which is laughable.

Stive Morgan

A Symphony of Horror
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
It's been said a million times but they really need a separate "Best Offensive Defenceman" and "Best Defensive Defenceman" Award

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Else Ermine

Jun 1, 2024
Regardless of how bad Dubas is the Leafs repeatedly underachieving in the playoffs and not getting the cup they're entitled to isn't on him. That's all Mitch Marner's fault, every time. We know that too.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Karlsson had just won the freaking Norris trophy and they got him without giving up a ton.

It was a worthwhile risk to take, their core group is just too old and Karlsson I think has a weird thing about not being the absolute alpha on the back end (seemed like in San Jose he only really took off once Burns left).
That's my point though, Karlsson just cannibalizes Letang in that offense because they both offer the same thing.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Dubas is just a step above John Chayka and I think it is entirely possible he has to work outside hockey after the Pens fire him.
I agree. Eventually shanahan and dubas will run out of morons to dupe and go to the Caribbean and dip their toes in the sand and enjoy their millions they conned from the nhl

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
What's with the "we" in opening posts like this one anyway?
Be it this one, or the "Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026..." one.

You have an opinion, post it as your opinion, do not project it onto everybody else.
There is no group that needs to be honest with themselves about this issue. Individual people have individual opinions. And in this particular case, it seems rather unlikely that there are tons of people who think Dubas is a great GM, so who is this line targeting anyway?

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
What's with the "we" in opening posts like this one anyway?
Be it this one, or the "Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026..." one.

You have an opinion, post it as your opinion, do not project it onto everybody else.
There is no group that needs to be honest with themselves about this issue. Individual people have individual opinions. And in this particular case, it seems rather unlikely that there are tons of people who think Dubas is a great GM, so who is this line targeting anyway?
Was meant to try to be engaging because I think there is a sizable group throughout the league (not just Leafs fans), who still vehemently defend him.

Constructive criticism well taken though.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Life has been a real struggle for me, as I think 24/7 on how good I think Dubas is. I think maybe it would be easier if I was honest!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad