What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
There should be a new stat that somehow captures the difficulty of goals allowed in, and this should be the primary way to asses goaltending capabilities. IE goalies should be ranked almost solely on their ability to not allow bad goals, instead of useless stuff like save % and wins that has enormous external influence.

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Leon Draisaitl is better then Auston Matthews, and in general Auston Matthews is overrated. The dude was on pace last year for only 88 points on a contender leafs team, and alot of people think he's a top 10 player even though their are plently of guys ahead of him, Mcdavid, Mackinnon, Draisaitl, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Pasternak, Giroux, Gaudreau, Stamkos just to name a few
You do realize since hes came into the league he is 6th in goals scored and the 5 players ahead of him have played an average of 23 games more than he has. He is only 4 goals away from being #2.
He is 2nd in goals per game.
Every other player in the top 10 plays with better linemates than he has, plays more time per game and plays more time on the powerplay.
He is 2nd in even strength goals behind McDavid.
There are not plenty of guys ahead of him.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I miss Coach's Corner...

I don't know if I miss it but it's been two weeks I have not watched the CBC. I kinda forgot. Which may be the worst kind of turn of events, forgetting that something exist. And let's face it, this had already kind of happened when Sportnset bought the Canadian rights of the NHL and they had changed HNIC with George Strombo. Something got broken there culturally with Canadians. At the end the only thing people watched was Coach's Corner and now there's no reasons to watch at all.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The game is way too nice.

Too many good boys praising their competition.

I miss the absolute hate that players had for each other before.

Kane vrs. Reaves made me tune into a game that I would normally not give 2 ****s about.

Hate ramps up the emotion which makes the game better.

We don't get that though.

We get "hey they got a good group over there and we just hope to play a better 60 minutes"

BAH!

From reading hockey posts on the internet, I don't think your opinion is controversial.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Having the national anthems played before every single game in the NHL is dumb and annoying. For international fixtures it's fine, but the NHL where the teams are made up of numerous nationalities, it just doesn't make any sense.

They should at least reserve them for one a week, say Saturdays, not every game. And my controversial opinion is that the same thing should happen for the three stars.

vaspa

Sep 29, 2011
Helsinki
I love the play where a winger is standing on the offensive blue line with a D right on him and tips the stretch pass off the boards into the corner, the center or backside winger comes across to race for the puck. Not to mention you mitigate a lot of risk defensively by avoiding a turn over.

Matter of personal tastes of course, but that's the play I dislike the most and why I would love to see the two line pass offside returning. Would also maybe encourage teams doing more aggressive forecheck with D taking part in it without fearing the long stretch pass behind. And on the other hand teams would try to come out their zone with more controlled way, leading to more line rushes (or dangerous turnovers while making mistakes) rather than dumping it in.

The other, maybe more controversial, take is that I'd like to see only 8 teams making the playoffs. The best hockey played every season is the first round of playoffs with tempo dropping every round until two exhausted teams with pretty much every player playing hurt grind it out in the finals. Would make the run-of-the-mill mid season regular game mean more too.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I don't know if I miss it but it's been two weeks I have not watched the CBC. I kinda forgot. Which may be the worst kind of turn of events, forgetting that something exist. And let's face it, this had already kind of happened when Sportnset bought the Canadian rights of the NHL and they had changed HNIC with George Strombo. Something got broken there culturally with Canadians. At the end the only thing people watched was Coach's Corner and now there's no reasons to watch at all.
Yeah, I missed that part where Sportnet "acquired" CBC or anyway, the hockey show. I mean, I'm confused on that BUT sure there were changes and Coach's Corner being out is part of the change I guess. Cherry has been known to talk bad about French Canadians, Europeans.. possibly Russians too in the 90s. We're nearly in 2020 and still having racist comments on TV (like immigrants don't buy poppy because they don't care about Canadians soldiers, who they have no connection to). Anyway... it was expected for someone to pull the plug eventually. - My introduction to Cherry was quite late. I had heard nasty things, but in 2011, the Vancouver run and Boston in the East (the only final prediction I ever got right). I watched the show as he commented during East games and West games. That was when I got to like the "character" that he was. Loved it. But yeah... --- Buttercup, you know who that is lol. Calling player's names. He was going to get sacked eventually. lol

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Standings should be based on ROW's and points accrued from Shootout wins and OT Losses should be the first tiebreaker.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
If Zdeno Chara was the size of the average NHL defender he would be a below average dman.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Replacing MacLean with Strombo was one of the worst decisions in TV history. Literally nobody thought that it was a good idea and again, nobody was shocked when the ratings dropped.

Reactions: Kimota

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I'm going against the grain, so obviously onus is on me to provide reasons to back up my challenge. That said, wins are a team stat and him having good numbers doesn't really combat what I said at all. As is well documented, 1. the Bruins defensive system at the time was to allow lots of low danger shots and few high danger shots, thus inflating stats.

2. Let's also not forget he sucked in 2010, a year after winning the Vezina...

1. It still is like this today.
2. Thomas didn't "suck in 2010". He had a 91.5% save percentage and a 2.56GAA, which is not great, but good. It becomes quite more impressive when you know that he played almost all season with a nagging hip injury that had to be fixed by surgery in the off season.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Mine is that the NHL or scheduler is cheating to get the Canadians back into the playoffs by giving them the second game of a back to back playing the tired team 19 times. That is 1/4 of their season playing tired teams. And that is 12 more than the next which is Tampa Bay. Thats not a coincidence, its flat out cheating.

Amazing catch and they still stink

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad