What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Canadian hockey teams are propped up by hockey media when they are really among the worst run, worst managed clubs in the league.
And related

Canadian teams' star players get promoted in media as the best evaaar but are actually just OK for the most part and perhaps even below average in their assignments.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mario is a legend and my favorite player ever. Healthy, I reckon he would’ve surpassed Gretzky.

Sure but his legendary status and video game counting stats can often blind people to the fact that he wasn't an elite ice tilter at ES.

Of course he is arguably the best PP player of all time but his overall status gets inflated at times.

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
Canadian hockey teams are propped up by hockey media when they are really among the worst run, worst managed clubs in the league.
And related

Canadian teams' star players get promoted in media as the best evaaar but are actually just OK for the most part and perhaps even below average in their assignments.

I wonder how the teams would be if only people from their country or state could play for them...

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Inspired by a conversation in another thread: the order in which teams pick at the draft should be established by a lottery where ALL teams have the SAME odds (= a true lottery). Let luck decide who picks at what spot, like every real lottery does, not the standings.

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Inspired by a conversation in another thread: the order in which teams pick at the draft should be established by a lottery where ALL teams have the SAME odds (= a true lottery). Let luck decide who picks at what spot, like every real lottery does, not the standings.

Expanding on this, turn the regular season into it's own contest. Hold a lottery, top 16 teams get to pick either to play in the playoffs or draft a top 16 pick. Bottom 16 get whatever is left. Why should a game in October have any bearing on which team is playing in June??

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
1. Goalies are overrated. A new goalie wins the vezina every year. Goalies play really great one year, and completely terrible the next year or the year before. Goalies that changes teams either improves drastically or falls back down to earth. Rookies can win the stanly cup. 40+ year olds can also win the stanly cup. All this shows that a goalie is mostly as good as the team in front of him. There are of course some skills needed to be a nhl level goalie. But beond that, I donno man. How do you really evaluate a goalie anyway? What you need is a hot goalie and a good team. Thats how you win. If the team is good enough you dont even need a hot goalie.
2. Get rid of fighting. Hockey alone is entertaining enough.
3. Get rid of hitting. Yeah, allowing skating full speed ahead and slamming your body as hard as you can against another player seems like a bad idea. Other types of physical play should be legal tho. I mean, being big and strong should still have an advantage. I just dont like to see people get hurt.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
If you can't see their faces all of the womens commentators sound like one of the kids from The Sandlot.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
1. Goalies are underrated. Only reason the Leafs got in the playoffs last year was because of Anderson bailing out the non existent D the Shanaplan entails. You are seeing it now with Crawford/Lehner keeping Chicago from rubbing elbows with Detroit. Nilsson is keeping Ottawa in there. Rinne keeps tanking the preds astounding D. Jones single handedly destroys the Sharks every year. You need a goalie to win a cup. There are some goalies like Bob and Vasi that are Vezina frauds and depend heavily on steller systems in front of them to succeed.

2. Increase fighting. Hockey today is so corporate and robotic. Little to no on ice drama to add to rivalries. Most NHL players are millionaires with extraordinary medical support the average joe would never be able to have access to. Only a small minority of nhl fans, almanac readers, love the stat part of the game which can be exciting. On ice has been mostly boring, especially in the regualar season.

3. Hitting is awesome. Head hits need to go though. To decrease 90 mph hits the NHL should re introduce the 2 line pass rule into the game. Would slow the game and actually allow skilled players to handle the puck instead of this constant back and forth speed skating, lose the puck nonsense.

Reactions: Acallabeth

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Mmm take your pick

1. I think there's a small group of truly elite goaltending talents, and the rest are highly subject to their environment. If GM's redrafted all the goalies, Price and Gibson would go 1 and 2. The third pick is probably different for every franchise, dependent on team composition and style.

2. Boston was gifted a cakewalk into last year's Finals. They have one of the best lines on the planet but I wouldn't trust them to make another deep run soon, not without help.

3. Hey speaking of being gifted a cakewalk, the Kings in 2012 probably had the softest bracket of the last few decades. A cinderella run that actually went the distance, thanks to running into 2 other cinderella runs along the way (and let's not forget Duncan Keith's headshot to Daniel Sedin).

4. Bob Hartley's Jack Adams win is probably the most egregious of all the "we overachieved" winners. I don't know if that's really controversial though. Jack Adams should go to the likes of Trotz's Islanders, AV's Canucks, Quenneville's Blackhawks, Cooper's Bolts etc.... in other words, dominant teams that lead the league in several categories.

Gerard Gallant I can live with, because rallying a team of outcasts with no superstars into 51 wins and first in the division is obscene, and is a special achievement that probably won't ever be replicated again (sorry Seattle fans).

5. Selke votes shouldn't factor faceoffs at all. Not only is there zero correlation between faceoffs/goals or faceoffs/possession (true story), but it devalues actual defensive stats like shot blocks and takeaways. To that end, Mark Stone should have won at least one trophy by now. The current criteria is too biased towards centers, even when factoring the extra responsibility inherent to the position.

6. Mitch Marner is going to get a raise after his current contract runs out

Reactions: IlikeEich

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
1 - 1-8 seeding for playoffs needs to return.

2 - No points for OT/SO loss. OTW or SOW gets you one point. Regulation win gets you 2. Loss in OT or SO gets you nothing.

Reactions: mmvvpp

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
1. Regular season games should be played with continuous 5X5 overtime until a team wins...just as they do in the playoffs. Rosters and bench size should be expanded to support this.

2. The season should be lengthened to 100 games. Again, rosters and benches expanded to accomplish this.

3. Sundin should have never been a first round HOF pick.

4. Coyle was offside earlier this season against the Habs...and weak goals scored like Coyle's goal actually cheapen the game and should never be encouraged by rule changes.

5. Some Stanley Cup playoff games should be played in neutral sites. Both outside snd within North America.

6. Playoffs should be seeded 1-16.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
1. Goalies are overrated. A new goalie wins the vezina every year. Goalies play really great one year, and completely terrible the next year or the year before. Goalies that changes teams either improves drastically or falls back down to earth. Rookies can win the stanly cup. 40+ year olds can also win the stanly cup. All this shows that a goalie is mostly as good as the team in front of him. There are of course some skills needed to be a nhl level goalie. But beond that, I donno man. How do you really evaluate a goalie anyway? What you need is a hot goalie and a good team. Thats how you win. If the team is good enough you dont even need a hot goalie.

I actually agree. Gone are the days when you could say a few (Roy, Brodeur, Hasek) stood above the rest.

You could flip most goalies around the league and it wouldn't make much difference in the standings.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Mario is a legend and my favorite player ever. Healthy, I reckon he would’ve surpassed Gretzky.

Thing is, when he was healthy he peaked at 199 points. Yes he missed a few games but I'm not convinced he would have beat Gretzkys record.

Drai mooches off McDavid would be mine

Agree with this, though I am not sure this is overly controversial.

Start the hockey season in September rather than October.

Allow NHL players back in the Olympics.

If you start in September, chances are the end of the season will coincide with March Madness which would really hurt TV ratings. Plus September has the pennant races in baseball. (yes, October has the playoffs but thats only a select group of teams playing)

As for the Olympics I think the majority of fans would agree with you. Its the only best on best tournament and the only time where you get to see the absolute best players facing each other / a lot of the teams are stacked with elite players.

And related

Canadian media only has hockey to worry about. Toronto is the only city with teams in the other big 4 leagues. Versus the US media which has all 4 leagues to report on plus NCAA (especially basketball and football)

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad